Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2018, 03:41 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,959,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
It just doesn't seem register with you that the decision on what car to drive is not single-variable. It's a variety of things for every person, each with its own range of weights and priorities in decision-making. Sure, irrationality may figure in to one or more of these decision variables, many of which can't be quantified neatly and are more subjective in nature. But I would not equate subjectivity with irrationality, which is what I'm reading about a lot in this thread.

It's great that you're in love with the Prius but one could name other vehicles that "out-Prius the Prius" but that would be equally narrow-minded. That's the problem with attempting to be pious about one's choices under the guise of being rational...there's ALWAYS someone who can outdo you on that maneuver.
This sounds like what Bill O’Reilly used to call bloviating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2018, 03:43 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,972,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
You should be driving a Tesla anyway. Prius is outdated, slow and gets bad gas mileage. When gas shoots up you’ll wish you had a Tesla or a Leaf

Old 08-01-2018, 03:43 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,063,596 times
Quote:
Do you think this is a useful response?

No idea why you would mention a political commentator here, nor why a succinct response could fit any definition of bloviating.

Old 08-01-2018, 03:49 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,063,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
You should be driving a Tesla anyway. Prius is outdated, slow and gets bad gas mileage. When gas shoots up you’ll wish you had a Tesla or a Leaf
You dinosaur!

Nobody really needs a car anyway. It's much easier and cheaper and better for the world to just uber 95% of the time and if you REALLY need some enhanced mobility, rent something short term.

Old 08-01-2018, 03:56 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,959,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Fortunately, I’m young and retired...I could get by with any car. I didn’t get there by wasting money.

Old 08-01-2018, 04:46 PM

2,194 posts, read 1,144,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Why worry about what people spend how does this effect you in any way, people can buy what they want why should it matter to others on here what other people spend their money on.
Because as already been quoted and shown in this thread, most Americans have little to no retirement savings. Part of this is due to overspending on vehicle purchases, among other things. Hence, when they reach retirement age, those people do become an economic burden on all of society.

Old 08-01-2018, 05:50 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,439,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
Because as already been quoted and shown in this thread, most Americans have little to no retirement savings. Part of this is due to overspending on vehicle purchases, among other things. Hence, when they reach retirement age, those people do become an economic burden on all of society.
And how does this effect you personally is this taking money out of your pocket and makes do you lay awake at night worrying about this. Now back to talking about people who might regret buying large SUVs.

Old 08-01-2018, 08:34 PM

13,717 posts, read 12,468,950 times
Quote:
The average American has less than $5k saved yet spends $36k+ on a vehicle (not to mention the fuel cost of larger vehicles, property tax, full coverage insurance and maintenance). I see a problem. More and more people gravitating toward more expensive SUVs will surely have that average knocking on $40k in a few years. Living below one’s means is a concept we refuse to acknowledge.
People have overspent on vehicles since banks were willing to lend on them. There will always be a subset of the population that lets the bank tell them how much car payment they can afford. I don't see this connected in anyway to SUV's or their relative popularity, or how much of a status symbol they are. When I think of the "$30,000 Millionare* Car," I think of a 3 Series BMW or maybe a C-Class...Used Range Rover's would certainly qualify too.

In any case, the cost difference in fuel on a Tahoe vs a Civic at $2.83 a gallon is $90 a month. Its more than a box of popcorn, but its not going to move anyone into insolvency.

Anecdotally, when I was selling cars, people that came in struggling with their car note looking for a way out didn't have one type of car over another...They bought a C Class when they should have bought a Civic...Or a Range Rover when a 4 Runner would have been more appropriate.

*$30,000 Millionare is a term for a younger (usually male) that lives the high life in a city telling people "I'm an investment banker" when he works in the Fidelity Call center at $15/hour.

Old 08-01-2018, 09:06 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,996,496 times
Quote:
The average American has less than $5k saved yet spends $36k+ on a vehicle
I don't think these two stats refer to the same populations. The average new car buyer is not the average american and vice versa.

Old 08-01-2018, 09:09 PM

2,194 posts, read 1,144,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
And how does this effect you personally is this taking money out of your pocket and makes do you lay awake at night worrying about this. Now back to talking about people who might regret buying large SUVs.
There's lots of things I'm capable of talking about on C-D and in my real life in addition to thinking about during my waking hours that don't cause me to lose sleep at night. Doesn't mean I can't talk about it. And if you don't want people talking about things...why come to this sort of forum at all?

Plus, we're 47-48 pages in...pretty sure we've more than once hit on some tangential topics from the original.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive