Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2018, 03:35 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,936,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I used latest models for comparisons, so yes.
What does the HRV have to do with anything? It just proves my point that consumers are demanding in increasing numbers the comfort and added space of the SUV/CUV.
You say increased seating room but SUVs like the CRV/HRV have no more seating room than a Civic.

Quote:
So what? If that means you can stack an extra six bags of mulch, who cares? Most people don't need it to transport their one piece Fly Rod.
Point being that the CRV only has more room in specific scenarios where someone wants to carry something tall. I’ve personally carried 20+ bags of mulch in a Prius. In a rare circumstance that I need more room I have a 4x8 ultility trailer that dwarfs what a CRV can carry.

Quote:
Sort of. Things like leg room, head room, but much more importantly, seating position, aren't. Ride comfort or road noise? Yeah, more subjective.
Glad you agree.

Quote:
Not that big of a deal. It gets to 60 in 7.6 seconds. That's competitive with vintage muscle cars with small block V8's. Hardly difficult to merge onto a highway or pull out in traffic.
Oh lord not a comparison to cars of 40-50 years ago. If that’s the standard, I guess cars should’ve stopped getting faster in the 90s. Has

Quote:
A CRV gets 30 MPG. The Pilot averages 24 or thereabouts. That's a long haul from the Suburban that 90's Mom drove. Double, probably.
A Civic gets better gas mileage. Not to mention it costs about $5k less. For the price of a base CRV one could buy a 50+ mpg Honda that accelerates better, handles better, etc.

Quote:
I haven't driven the 2018 but the last three generations I've ridden in and they're all "ok" at best. Loud, and the short wheelbase is noticeable. Also, this can be a positive or negative, Honda's have always had responsive suspensions, usually double wishbone designs, but some find it too bumpy.
That's the point. People drive them and think, Jeez, it really drives like a car. They don't have to make the tradeoff of garbage fuel economy, and harsh, loud rides that they did in the past.
Drive one.

Quote:
Undoubtedly they will. I'm not arguing that people won't change their buying habits based on their confidence, gas prices etc...
Glad you agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2018, 03:43 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,105,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
People who buy large SUVs or CUV’s are not worried about mpg., next time you need that civic towed what type of vehicle is used i think it’s a pickup tow truck or a larger flatbed tow truck.
Really?

So, if you could own a comparable SUV that achieved 20% or 25% more mpg than your current SUV, you would rather keep paying the difference at the gas pump?

Yeah, right.

Old 07-26-2018, 03:58 PM

2,916 posts, read 3,000,773 times
I can't speak for older drivers, but it seems like most younger SUV drivers just aren't comfortable in large sedans. They'd rather sit in a higher profile car to see over the road versus something like a Buick.

If I lived in a rural area or in a place with lots of snow/ice, the allure of a truck or at least a larger vehicle would be strong. Living in a very large Sunbelt metro area....I prefer a more fuel efficient ride that can zip in and out of traffic more easily. My drive to work is 12-15 minutes in 'normal' traffic while many of my coworkers face 30, 40 and sometimes 70+ minute commutes. Those with the longest commutes, at least in my department, often have fairly nice SUV's and trucks to match. Smooth ride for long bouts of driving.

Old 07-26-2018, 04:00 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,421,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
Really?

So, if you could own a comparable SUV that achieved 20% or 25% more mpg than your current SUV, you would rather keep paying the difference at the gas pump?

Yeah, right.
I don’t pay attention to mpg because I’m retired and could care less bad when I was working i drove my F150 FX4 and didn’t worry about gas mileage. Because I drove what I liked and what made me money. I’m not obsessed about mpg. And why are so people buying so many large SUVs if they are worried about gas mileage. Large SUVs with V8 are selling quite well.

Old 07-26-2018, 04:14 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,003,340 times
Quote:
Really?

Yeah, right.
People do this all the time. Ford offers a 4 cylinder mustang that gets over 300 horsepower and combined MPG OF ABOUT 25, but people will pay more for the similarly styled Mustang with the 5.0 and only 19 MPG. So why would it surprise you people would do this with SUVs too?

People will definitely accept lower MPG in the interest of increased capability, be it size or power.

Last edited by iknowftbll; 07-26-2018 at 04:23 PM..

Old 07-26-2018, 04:22 PM

6,737 posts, read 4,419,540 times
[quote=iknowftbll;52618160]Yup, everywhere I go I see piles of SUVs just seemingly drawn to each other and everything else out there. Unmitigated chaos. SUVs slamming into everything. And those pesky pickups! They’re just as bad. Carnage and twisted metal everywhere! All because of SUVs and pickups!

Here in the US, Ford is gambling on this in the coming years.

Old 07-26-2018, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
I haven’t made that claim, I said some CUVs MPG rivals, not equals, RIVALS some compact sedans. And MPG Fis just one small factor for some buyers so the difference between say, a Rav-4 and Corolla is negligible.

As for your question...it’s obvious. You don’t have to use the words “I don’t like SUVs” to say “I don’t like SUVs.”
And you obviously forgot purchase price. Your average RAV4 probably goes for $26-27k whereas your average Corolla probably goes for $20k. At those price points, a Prius vs RAV4 may be a better comparison...RAV4 gets 25 mpg whereas the Prius gets 52mpg.

Old 07-26-2018, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphorx View Post
You really think the cars show below are lower on the totem pole based on size?

point is, All types of vehicles have there place smaller cars are more fun in the city, 4X4 SUV's are fun for offloading(which maybe only 10% of SUV owners actually do).
Youre in left field somewhere.

Old 07-26-2018, 06:35 PM

19,049 posts, read 13,964,273 times
The Civic has the same seating capacity as most SUV/CUV's? Come on man, that's just ridiculous. The Civic may have 5 places designated for people to plop their butts, but they better be really small butts in that back seat.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 07-26-2018, 06:38 PM

45,393 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Obviously, you don't recognize and/or appreciate sarcasm.
gg wasn't being sarcastic. He truly hates SUVs/CUVs/pickups with a red hot passion. Over on the Pittsburgh Forum he regularly rants about them.

Last edited by North Beach Person; 07-26-2018 at 06:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive