Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2018, 01:05 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,996,269 times

Advertisements

Here is a nice condition/good/fair used Nissan.
With CVT automatic transmission.

$700.00

As CVT automatic transmission failed.

To change the CVT automatic transmission fluid or not to change the automatic transmission fluid.

LINK

Any shop/place sell rebuilt CVT automatic transmissions? What cost?

Or is the only option a new one and at what cost?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2018, 11:42 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,581,436 times
The cost to replace the cvt transmission will be worth more than the car. I’d pass.

Old 08-26-2018, 04:38 AM

628 posts, read 840,633 times
Avoid CVT transmission because they are costly to repair and are unreliable even if you get a OEM one

Old 08-26-2018, 09:35 PM

3,426 posts, read 3,345,635 times
I've consulted with no less than three different transmission repair shops, asking their respective inputs on the CVT. All said the same thing: "They're junk!"

I'd stay away.

Old 08-27-2018, 11:41 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,562,225 times
Unless you are getting a new or slightly used one with a full warranty, I would avoid it.

Old 08-28-2018, 07:50 AM

712 posts, read 530,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Unless you are getting a new or slightly used one with a full warranty, I would avoid it.
You can NOT buy a "new" transmission. They make them in a 1:1 ratio on an assembly line. The best you can buy is a factory remanufactured/rebuilt transmission straight from nissan. I don't know why people talk about buying "new" engines and transmissions. They don't exist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
I've consulted with no less than three different transmission repair shops, asking their respective inputs on the CVT. All said the same thing: "They're junk!"

I'd stay away.

CVT is total junk. Anyway one who knows anything about transmissions knows this. GM abandoned them 15 years ago due to premature failure. The new chevy malibu has a cvt. Just wait till you see all the problems with that car. It's all to shave a few percentage points on fuel economy. Barely an improvement at all for gas mileage as far dollars spent on gas goes. Also some hondas have recently switched to cvt. Say goodbye to 300k accords.

Old 08-28-2018, 11:25 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,275,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondtheHorizon View Post
You can NOT buy a "new" transmission. They make them in a 1:1 ratio on an assembly line. The best you can buy is a factory remanufactured/rebuilt transmission straight from nissan. I don't know why people talk about buying "new" engines and transmissions. They don't exist.

Err. False. If you have a brand new transmission design, there are no rebuilt transmissions to be found since there have been no failures. If you have transmission failure, you get a new transmission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondtheHorizon View Post
CVT is total junk. Anyway one who knows anything about transmissions knows this. GM abandoned them 15 years ago due to premature failure. The new chevy malibu has a cvt. Just wait till you see all the problems with that car. It's all to shave a few percentage points on fuel economy. Barely an improvement at all for gas mileage as far dollars spent on gas goes. Also some hondas have recently switched to cvt. Say goodbye to 300k accords.

GM also gave us delightful engineering like the Chevy Vega. That wasn't a 2018 design, either. GM made the Vega. Therefore, don't ever buy a GM product because they make unreliable cars. Brilliant logic. Just because the Nissan/JATCO CVT everybody used a decade ago had massive problems doesn't mean all CVT are ticking time bombs. 30+ percent of cars manufactured today have a CVT. It's been that way since 2015. Technology changes and evolves.

Old 08-28-2018, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Err. False. If you have a brand new transmission design, there are no rebuilt transmissions to be found since there have been no failures. If you have transmission failure, you get a new transmission.

s.
What does this have to with op's question? So an old nissan that the op is asking about will get a new cvt? LOL The point is mute. You can NOT purchase a new transmission for that car. It's not a brand spanking new car and you're wrong anyway even on that point.

Almost all modern Car companies do not sell new transmissions. They sell rebuilt ones. Please show a link where I can buy a new transmission directly from hyundai/nissan ect. Not remanufactured, But completely new. Call up nissan/hyundai/honda ect. and ask if you can buy a transmission for that vehicle op listed that is brand new. They will tell you no. They don't sell them. Cores get shipped back from failed units and they rebuild them.

There's always been trannies available in brand new cars including cars that have been totaled, but tranny is salvageable. It's almost unheard of to get a new transmission. Sure, there might be some rare cases where a 2019 you just bought in January has a failed transmission weeks after you bought it. This is 1 in 50,000 type odds. At that point, they'd probably give you a new car in many cases. At the beginning there are very few rebuilt trannies available, but also very few failures so very few people looking to get one! It's in the same ratio! You have zero chance of getting a new transmission if the car is more than a few years old, where 99 percent of failures occur. Trannies rarely fail in the first year of operation. You can't buy one even if you wanted one. Call them up yourself.

Have you personally bought a brand new transmission recently? I already know the answer.

Last edited by BeyondtheHorizon; 08-28-2018 at 11:54 AM..

Old 08-28-2018, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post

GM also gave us delightful engineering like the Chevy Vega. That wasn't a 2018 design, either. GM made the Vega. Therefore, don't ever buy a GM product because they make unreliable cars. Brilliant logic. Just because the Nissan/JATCO CVT everybody used a decade ago had massive problems doesn't mean all CVT are ticking time bombs. 30+ percent of cars manufactured today have a CVT. It's been that way since 2015. Technology changes and evolves.
Ford can make great cars and total garbage also. Ford tempo/escape vs crown vic/lincoln towcar.
This has nothing to do with cvt's showing continued problems and lack of reliability including more recent years.

2013 nissans are continuing the problems with cvt. Actually it seems to have gotten worse and those warranties were never extended to 120k so people are stuck suing in class action lawsuits. CVT is unproven garbage.

CVT Problems | Nissan Problems

"The most concerning issue is the all these problems lead to a short lifespan for the CVT.

The 2011 Versa, for example, has an average failure of 64,750 miles. The very popular 2013 Altima fails around 60,167 miles.

In fact the problem appears to be getting worse, because if you look at older model years with complaints about CVT failure they typically have a longer lifespan – like the 2008 Altima which has a much more reasonable (albeit still frustrating) average failure over 120,000 miles."

A 2013 is a more recent, not 10 years old. There's numerous class action lawsuits against nissan for this transmission. This technology has NOT been perfected. The 2015 altima for example continues to show transmission problems
https://www.carcomplaints.com/Nissan/Altima/2015/
You don't see this with other cars with good transmissions.
Nissan rogue is also terrible.
https://www.carcomplaints.com/Nissan.../transmission/

But hey if you're smarter than everyone else, go buy a cvt from nissan and once you get past 60k and it fails you're crap out luck! Doesn't seem like it makes much sense to take that risk, but that's just me.

Old 08-29-2018, 03:45 AM

Just to be clear, I know in 99 percent of cases, transmissions installed under warranty are rebuilt, but there could be rare warranty exceptions where certain car manufacturers puts in a truly new transmission, but this would only be under warranty and extremely rare. I've never heard of them actually selling them to the general public. I do have a question, when hyundai engines failed(spun bearings), are the warrantied engines truly new? Everyone says they are getting a "new" engine. Many people can't differentiate between new and rebuilt. Is hyundai actually making brand new engines? This could be an exception, whereas most engines are rebuilt. I read they have a 2 percent failure rate(and that figure was given years ago when many hadn't hit high mileage), which is massive number of engine failures when you're selling a million cars over a few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive