Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Compact Hatchback?
Subaru Impreza 13 20.97%
Toyota Corolla 8 12.90%
Honda Civic 6 9.68%
Mazda 3 11 17.74%
VW Golf 14 22.58%
Chevy Cruze 4 6.45%
Ford Focus 2 3.23%
Hyundai Elantra 3 4.84%
Kia Forte 1 1.61%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 08:56 AM

17,308 posts, read 12,255,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Would you take a current gen Golf over an Impreza?
Absolutely. The current Impreza would struggle to keep up with a Prius.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2018, 09:32 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Would you take a current gen Golf over an Impreza?
Depends. I’m 6’2”. I don’t fit in an Impreza. I winter at a ski resort. There are days the GTIs I used to own wouldn’t have gotten me to first chair on a big powder day. I had an SUV so I’d drive that as my rolling locker room. As a skier where getting in and out of an unplowed parking lot with 2 feet of snow on it is a “necessity”, I’d take the underpowered Impreza with good winter tires if I fit in it. I consolidated a GTI and SUV to an Outback. If I were 5’8” and on a budget, a 5 door Impreza or the lifted Crosstrek version with the body cladding would be fine. I’m old enough that 150 hp in a small car is the weight to HP ratio of what I used to drive. I can afford a car with more power but the Impreza at base trim level is a superb value as a ski car. My girlfriend’s daughter lives at Vail and has one. It has no problem with the passes. You’re just not going to be able to hold 75 mph. I used to drive cars where downshifting and your foot to the floor might hold 50. An Impreza has more power than that.

Other than that funky “I need to catch first chair on a 2’ powder day” requirement, I’d take the GTI if I could afford it. I bought mine as leftovers in October steeply discounted. They’re still much more expensive than an Impreza. I’ve never driven a vanilla Golf. Just diesel rentals in Europe. I’d be a bit reluctant to buy a Mexican VW. Mine were German. Kind of the same stigma as a Korean car. I’m sure they’re fine but I still vividly remember when they weren’t.

Old 09-05-2018, 09:42 AM

17,308 posts, read 12,255,968 times
If you’re open to tuning the base Golf can be taken to 234hp/273ft-lbs fairly cheaply...with a warranty with the APR Plus program and still run 87 octane.
https://www.goapr.com/products/ecu_u..._gen3_mqb.html

Old 09-05-2018, 09:49 AM

22,662 posts, read 24,605,343 times
Get a cheap and beater'ish compact-hatchback, they are very useful. And if you gut the back seats and everything else back there, you have a lot more space.

I had a 97 Metro, a great little hatchback that could be used for anything............well, not anything, but a lot.

Old 09-05-2018, 10:33 AM

3,551 posts, read 2,533,348 times
I recently bought a 2017 Forte5. Its a fun car to drive, zippier than the Corolla. Soul feels a bit more SUV like, and the base 1.6 auto struggles a bit, I nearly got one, but MPG will be lower most report 25-28. The Forte5 has been averaging 33. Versa is laggy and slow and crude in comparison. I'm driving a Sentra rental right now due to an unfortunate deer encounter, it feels like the ebrake is on in comparison to my Kia, and in general it feels cheaper and lower quality.

Old 09-05-2018, 12:24 PM

4,401 posts, read 4,295,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Depends. I’m 6’2”. I don’t fit in an Impreza. I winter at a ski resort. There are days the GTIs I used to own wouldn’t have gotten me to first chair on a big powder day. I had an SUV so I’d drive that as my rolling locker room. As a skier where getting in and out of an unplowed parking lot with 2 feet of snow on it is a “necessity”, I’d take the underpowered Impreza with good winter tires if I fit in it. I consolidated a GTI and SUV to an Outback. If I were 5’8” and on a budget, a 5 door Impreza or the lifted Crosstrek version with the body cladding would be fine. I’m old enough that 150 hp in a small car is the weight to HP ratio of what I used to drive. I can afford a car with more power but the Impreza at base trim level is a superb value as a ski car. My girlfriend’s daughter lives at Vail and has one. It has no problem with the passes. You’re just not going to be able to hold 75 mph. I used to drive cars where downshifting and your foot to the floor might hold 50. An Impreza has more power than that.

Other than that funky “I need to catch first chair on a 2’ powder day” requirement, I’d take the GTI if I could afford it. I bought mine as leftovers in October steeply discounted. They’re still much more expensive than an Impreza. I’ve never driven a vanilla Golf. Just diesel rentals in Europe. I’d be a bit reluctant to buy a Mexican VW. Mine were German. Kind of the same stigma as a Korean car. I’m sure they’re fine but I still vividly remember when they weren’t.
Fortunately I'm 5'10" so I don't have a problem with height. Sometimes I wonder how Jeremy Clarkson a 6'5" 300 lb 58 year old out of shape man fits into some of those small cars.

Old 09-05-2018, 12:27 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,739,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Do a Google search: CVT transmission problems.

Wouldn't get any with a CVT transmission at this time.

And yes, some folks state that they are great and trouble free.

Also, skip any that have a timing belt. Very costly to replace during normal maintenance. Get a timing chain engine.

And yes, some folks state that they are great and trouble fee.
Old news, and only applied to Nissan anyways.

Old 09-05-2018, 12:28 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,739,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Depends. I’m 6’2”. I don’t fit in an Impreza. I winter at a ski resort.
I just spent 2 weeks driving an Imprezza around Texas and my 6'2" fit fine. I'm all legs though so that may be a difference.

I can drive my Outback ski car with my Mondo 31 sized AT boots all day.

Old 09-05-2018, 12:31 PM

4,401 posts, read 4,295,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unfocused View Post
I recently bought a 2017 Forte5. Its a fun car to drive, zippier than the Corolla. Soul feels a bit more SUV like, and the base 1.6 auto struggles a bit, I nearly got one, but MPG will be lower most report 25-28. The Forte5 has been averaging 33. Versa is laggy and slow and crude in comparison. I'm driving a Sentra rental right now due to an unfortunate deer encounter, it feels like the ebrake is on in comparison to my Kia, and in general it feels cheaper and lower quality.
That would be a borderline deal breaker. I get around that now with my Camry. It's not bad but I would love something more fuel efficient.

Old 09-05-2018, 01:17 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlguy44 View Post
The Kia Soul is kind of a hatchback with high seating and great visibility. They really need to get a new design for such a good little car!
The current design is what makes it unique.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive