Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 04:28 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times

Advertisements

I read that a 2003 Mercedes sold for $420K. Since the market value for the vehicle is under $7000, most of that was for the license plate, a low number. In some States, the license stays with the owner. Of course, a low license plate number has always been a status symbol, indicating you're good friends with someone in power. But this is getting ridiculous. For my part, I will request a plate with MINUS 0. That ought to outdo everyone. Just kidding!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2018, 04:48 AM

1,147 posts, read 1,403,861 times
Huh???

I'm pretty sure nothing you stated is correct. For the most part, license plates are a random collection of numbers and letters, unless they are customized vanity plates.

I'm guessing you are getting the vin number mixed up with the license plate.

Do you have a link to this story that you read, or from anything that explains this "low number" license plate numbering scheme that can be influenced somehow by being "good friends with someone in power"?

Edit... I just did some quick research and I guess you were right about the "low number license plate numbering scheme that can be influenced somehow by being good friends with someone in power". Ive never heard of anything like this before. I'm sorry I doubted you. I'd still like a link to the story about the Mercedes if you have it. Here's a story I found that explains low number license plates...

Few-digit license plates have mysterious allure in some states - *NEW ENGLAND - fosters.com - Dover, NH

Last edited by bfrabel; 09-21-2018 at 05:01 AM..

Old 09-21-2018, 04:57 AM

553 posts, read 616,806 times
In a handful of states (+DC) that allow for it, low-numbered plates are a hot commodity.

Just last month, Delaware License Plate number 20 sold for $410K at auction.

Old 09-21-2018, 05:27 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,421,309 times
I’ve always said what a person does with their money is their business i don’t even care because it doesn’t effect my life in any way I don’t know why people care what other people do or how much they spend on things, if it doesn’t effect you who caress,it’s their money not yours.

Old 09-21-2018, 06:35 AM

15,420 posts, read 9,078,700 times
Personally I always thought that low digit plates looked stupid. It's just a lot of blank space on the plate. But if you really want that, why not just get yourself a personal license plate with a combination as short as possible. There are about 1,200 combinations with two digits. If you try hard enough, you can probably find a two digit combination that is available.

Old 09-21-2018, 07:01 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,469,795 times
I've never heard of such a thing. Good to know! I still wouldn't pay a dime more than what a "normal" license tag would cost. I mean, why pay hundreds of thousands of dollars for the "appearance" that you know someone in power when the truth is, you actually don't? Doesn't make any sense at all.

Old 09-21-2018, 09:06 AM

2,983 posts, read 3,092,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
I've never heard of such a thing. Good to know! I still wouldn't pay a dime more than what a "normal" license tag would cost. I mean, why pay hundreds of thousands of dollars for the "appearance" that you know someone in power when the truth is, you actually don't? Doesn't make any sense at all.

It's often kind of like a "get out of jail free" card where you can get a way with a lot and the police won't bother you because you look like someone who is "connected." I've seen that in CT for many older citizens who are proud of their low number plates (my FIL had a low 3 digit plate and it got him out of a number of ticketable offenses in his Jaguar XKE)

As for getting a personalized plate that can mimic that, there's often rules against that sort of thing (i.e. a minimum number of characters, no plates that look like normal plate number progressions, etc).

Old 09-21-2018, 09:28 AM

2,254 posts, read 2,738,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
I read that a 2003 Mercedes sold for $420K. Since the market value for the vehicle is under $7000, most of that was for the license plate, a low number. In some States, the license stays with the owner. Of course, a low license plate number has always been a status symbol, indicating you're good friends with someone in power. But this is getting ridiculous. For my part, I will request a plate with MINUS 0. That ought to outdo everyone. Just kidding!
That may be true in the Gulf States or the UK but no place in north or south America is that true.

Old 09-21-2018, 10:42 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,787,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
I was living in Oregon and saw a license with the word "*****" That's french for poop....They finally got the license revoked...but it took awhile.

Some Chinese or Japanese will seek out 8's...for good luck....

Old 09-21-2018, 10:58 AM

15,799 posts, read 20,504,199 times
In MA, the plate stays with the owner, although it's property of the DMV. But certain low-number plates can be willed/passed to immediate family to keep a plate in the family for generations.

Each year, MA also has a lottery for available low-number plates. This year, there were 20 plates available, and almost 12K entries. I enter myself and my wife each year, but we've never won.

Yeah, they are sorta viewed as a status symbol when you get one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive