Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 08:44 AM

8,156 posts, read 7,544,290 times

Advertisements

Just noticed that the TPMS on my 2014 Ford Focus usually only goes off after I've driven about 10 miles.

On my wife's 2005 Explorer it usually goes off first thing in the morning. Usually goes off after a couple of miles as the friction causes the air to expand.

Why the difference? Does the 2014 have "new technology" that ignores initial low pressure when it's cold out, and doesn't give the warning right away? Personally I'd rather have the alarm early so I can stop at a convenient gas station rather than having to get off the highway and back on again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2018, 08:52 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,631,638 times
My wife's 2013 Rav4 and my 2010 Corolla do the same thing on very cold mornings like this morning. Hopefully it will go out once we start driving.

Old 10-22-2018, 08:54 AM

15,845 posts, read 20,672,430 times
Hard to give a blanket statement for this one as TMPS systems can vary by manufacturer or even across different models. There is active, and passive systems, and the refresh rate can vary as well. So there couple be multiple reasons why the two systems, which are separated by a decade, work so differently.

Might not hurt to check your tire pressure and verify that they are within spec. Usually if the light comes on and goes away with temp, you are at the very bottom of the range of what is acceptable and could likely use an additional 1-2 psi as the seasons change and temps drop. Usually most tires tend to lose 1psi or so a month anyway from small leaks and permeation through the rubber or aluminum wheel.

Old 10-22-2018, 09:32 AM

15,175 posts, read 27,922,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
My wife's 2013 Rav4 and my 2010 Corolla do the same thing on very cold mornings like this morning. Hopefully it will go out once we start driving.
My '10 Corolla came on last week when in WV on a cold morning (and didn't turn off even after a 60 mil. drive each way)- a local tire place topped w/a couple lbs. of air and it went off - when I started it the next morning for my trip home it was back on and didn't turn off until just over 150 mi. later! (I left WV it was 37 degrees and get back to Va. and it's 64) - I decided my car just likes it warm

Old 10-22-2018, 09:39 AM

2,261 posts, read 1,146,552 times
I had TPMS on my 2008 Dodge and it never went off on cold mornings.
I think its just old tech that isnt standing up to the test of time.

I dont know if you can get updated TPMS sensors to match the old car though.... Could be something to look into to avoid the annoyance. I know I would.

Old 10-22-2018, 09:58 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,776 posts, read 81,743,750 times
We have a 2014 Escape, probably the same TPMS system as your Focus, and the only time we saw a warning was about a year ago when we had a nail in a tire. We always check the pressure about this time of year with the tires cold, and find it a few pounds low, so we fill to spec. I'll check them again when we get down to/below freezing. If your light comes on when cold and off after a few miles then you are running borderline. On my truck they were down 3 lbs. when I checked and topped them up, but the light never came on. Pressure drops 1 lb. for every 10 degree drop in temperature, and for most cars the TPMS will not light until 25% low pressure. That's 7-8 pounds and low enough to cause a tire failure and accident.

Old 10-22-2018, 10:07 AM

17,414 posts, read 12,380,065 times
Some systems have actual gauges on each valve stem, so it can give you can give you an immediate reading. Downside being that those sensors need to be replaced after their batteries die or if you want to mount different rims.

Others are passive and use the ABS sensors to detect if the tires are rolling differently, thus it takes driving it a bit to trigger.

Old 10-22-2018, 10:16 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,654,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
I had TPMS on my 2008 Dodge and it never went off on cold mornings.
I think its just old tech that isnt standing up to the test of time.

I dont know if you can get updated TPMS sensors to match the old car though.... Could be something to look into to avoid the annoyance. I know I would.
Ours always goes off on both cars when the weather turns cold, 2008 Audi, 2014 Mini. Maybe you maintain your tire pressure better than most, or the TPMS is set for a low pressure? I have mine scan when the tires are warm so they don’t go too low before I get an alert.

Old 10-22-2018, 10:19 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,814,235 times
"Cold fill" of tires varies if you live in a climate with widely ranging temps. A 35psi fill on a 70 degree summer morning and one on a 30 degree winter one will produce different levels of 'cold tire' pressure - meaning a summer fill might fall just below the sensor margin on a much colder day.

Set your tire pressures at the start of each major season change.

Old 10-22-2018, 10:30 AM

2,261 posts, read 1,146,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
Ours always goes off on both cars when the weather turns cold, 2008 Audi, 2014 Mini. Maybe you maintain your tire pressure better than most, or the TPMS is set for a low pressure? I have mine scan when the tires are warm so they don’t go too low before I get an alert.
At the time, I didnt maintain any of the tire pressures, and I didnt even look for a way to reset the threshold until I changed the wheels, and then I didnt really search diligently for the solution. On that car the TPMS was just an idiot light, it didnt even give me pressure numbers.

My current car gives me pressure numbers, but it still doesnt go off on cold mornings. I think my current one doesnt go off until the pressure goes below 32.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive