Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 03:07 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,847,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
I know a few of you have stated no one will guarantee a specific vehicle. Yes, I realize that. But I've also done it before for work many times. You just have to call in 3x (right after the reservation, a week in advance, the morning of the day prior in case they have to get the car from another location). Well, that's what I did and I've always secured a 4wd/awd vehicle in the classification that I wanted.
That's because 4WD or AWD is the classification or part of it - those come in sizes also. You could reserve a Cherokee but end up with a VW Tiguan - same classification, same size, different vehicle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2018, 07:31 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,565,307 times
I would reserve a 7 passenger AWD vehicle for the trip. Plenty of room for you and your pets plus AWD would be helpful in bad weather.

Old 10-23-2018, 08:31 AM

6,353 posts, read 11,598,384 times
Don't get a Rogue. The 4 wd one I rented got terrible gas mileage. Fortunately that trip didn't involve a lot of miles.

Old 12-11-2018, 06:41 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,072,165 times
Figured I'd post an update even though it's been over a month. I doubt anyone cares, but for anyone searching and renting like I did, well, here you go.

First, I called a couple of times. Unfortunately the manager wasn't there until the morning that I had to pick up the car. He started calling around, calling me to okay this or that; I give him credit, he really tried. And in the end, he got me a Ford Flex and basically said, "I know it's not exactly what you wanted, but trust me on this". I was concerned that it was more car-like, but the square shape of it was awesome for the claustrophobic bf and omg, the space in the back was ginormous, perfect for the dogs and our gear!!! Seriously, we ended up using about 1/3 of the space with luggage and dog stuff. the other 2/3 of the back space was their dog beds. They were super comfy. We decided to nix the crates due to the long drive and just hope for the best.

The Flex was super easy to drive, since it road like a car and was low enough to handle more like a car. It had some sort of weird AWD (it automatically adjusted or something, no clue). We went the northern route there, going around Denver and cutting down a trucker route to Texas. Best road ever. Never saw a car for hours and hours, only big rigs. Nice! We came back through Colorado Springs.

Half of me says we lucked out. The worst weather heading to Texas that we saw was heavy rains in OR and flurries in UT or WY (I can't remember where we were). The day after we got into Texas, it was pouring rain. Like crazy pouring. All day and night! On the way back, we completely missed the cold snap/icy weather and only hit high winds going through eastern Wyoming. Everything else was completely clear (ice was melted, we saw snow on the ground, but the roads were fine).

I say half of me lucked out because my dog literally almost died while in Texas (anaphylactic shock and stroke). I was so grateful for the Flex. We could put one of the back seats up, the big dog sat up front and had enough room to lie down on a dog bed, the recovering dog was taking up a chunk of the back on a huge bed, the other dog was squished kind of behind the rear seat. It was the perfect car to deal with all that.

The only downside of the Ford Flex is the stupid irritating crazy bright headlights. Now, driving in the pitch black, awesome. Being high-beamed by everyone because they think ours is on....not fun being blinded in the pitch black.

I wouldn't have thought about the Flex as an option, but honestly, that car was so awesome that my BF is actually thinking about buying one. Super duper comfy for those 18 hour drives. Hate the touchscreen everything. Sirius radio was a must and so grateful it had it. It even had GPS for when my phone couldn't find a signal at all! That thing was loaded and surprisingly comfy. I did most of the driving since I'm used to sitting at a desk all day....I have hip issues because of that, but besides that, no back issues, no sore behind, seriously, comfy. I drove my car and was like, ooohhhh this is why everyone says it's hard. LOL.

So there you go. I think Ford is discontinuing the Flex, but y'know, if you're claustrophobic, need cargo space that lies completely flat (3 rows, all flat!), comfy as heck, give it a whirl.

Last edited by psichick; 12-11-2018 at 06:41 PM.. Reason: stupid spaces

Old 12-12-2018, 12:32 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,593,446 times
Quote:
Figured I'd post an update even though it's been over a month. I doubt anyone cares, but for anyone searching and renting like I did, well, here you go.

Actually, it's nice to get an update. All to often the OP disappears and we have know idea how the issue was resolved.

Old 12-12-2018, 04:20 AM

23,870 posts, read 33,581,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Actually, it's nice to get an update. All to often the OP disappears and we have know idea how the issue was resolved.
Agree. Happy to see an update on what happened. Glad everything worked out in the end.

Old 12-12-2018, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Agree. Happy to see an update on what happened. Glad everything worked out in the end.

Good to know and glad I posted then. Surprisingly, the Flex was the most spacious and feels open for bf's claustrophobia compared to all the SUV's I sat in (the bigger ones, Tahoe sized, not Suburban sized). We put about 5,000 miles on it. LOL. Not one issue with BF or dogs.

Old 12-12-2018, 02:15 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,821,621 times
Thank you for the update! I have a friend who drives a Flex and she really likes it. Like I mentioned earlier, the first pet friendly vehicle we got from Enterprise was an Explorer. I am not a fan of Ford, I've had too many lemons from them years ago, but the Explorer was a nice drive and very comfortable. Of course, it was the top trim. LOL

Old 12-12-2018, 02:16 PM

23,870 posts, read 33,581,353 times
Quote:
Good to know and glad I posted then. Surprisingly, the Flex was the most spacious and feels open for bf's claustrophobia compared to all the SUV's I sat in (the bigger ones, Tahoe sized, not Suburban sized). We put about 5,000 miles on it. LOL. Not one issue with BF or dogs.
Really glad to hear it and it's really good to know If someone else happens to make a post.

Im sure it was stressful even though you tried to do your homework. Was it wider then what you hoped to get?

Old 12-13-2018, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
Thank you for the update! I have a friend who drives a Flex and she really likes it. Like I mentioned earlier, the first pet friendly vehicle we got from Enterprise was an Explorer. I am not a fan of Ford, I've had too many lemons from them years ago, but the Explorer was a nice drive and very comfortable. Of course, it was the top trim. LOL

They know how to sell them, top of the line! We had the Limited Flex. OMG, seriously, it was sooo nice. Leather interior, heated seats, even the first row of back seats leaned back (great for when we were coming home with the dog and one of us had to sit back there). Lots of room. I loved that all 3 rows laid flat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive