Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 11:34 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,993,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I want to be the first person to shart on the driver's seat.
A factory employee drives the vehicle outside.
The truck transport driver drives the car onto delivery trailer.
The dealership employees drive the vehicle on the lot.
Anyone can test drive the vehicle visiting dealership.

So, you see, there are a lot of asses driving car before you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2018, 05:26 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
My experience has been the opposite. The used cars I bought were the ones with problems. I've only had one major issue with a vehicle that I bought new. My 2003 Kia had a premature timing belt failure at six years, and just under 55k miles. Because I was the original owner I was covered under the 10 year 100,000 mile warranty and my engine was replaced free of charge.
This for me too. I buy new and keep for years. The couple of times I've tried used I had problems. When I've compared the life cycle cost of ownership, which includes repairs, new always comes out cheaper for me.

I've had friends who had a full set of tools and loved working on their cars who would sing the praises of used. But they loved spending several hours each Saturday pulling parts and working on the car.

Old 11-17-2018, 03:26 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,421,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
A factory employee drives the vehicle outside.
The truck transport driver drives the car onto delivery trailer.
The dealership employees drive the vehicle on the lot.
Anyone can test drive the vehicle visiting dealership.

So, you see, there are a lot of asses driving car before you.
The truck transport driver who unloads the vehicle off his truck drive the vehicle on to the dealership lot storage yard. And trucks also deliver new vehicles to rail yards to be put on rail cars to be delivered all over the country.

I’m just the opposite i lease a new vehicle every 3 years since I’m retired it’s a cheaper payment and the vehicle is always covered under warranty.

Old 11-17-2018, 03:38 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,421,309 times
Thers lots of new vehicle were i live when you work for the big 3 you get employee discounts along with your family members. I’m not talking about dealership employees just big3 employees who work for the corporation.

Old 11-19-2018, 12:20 AM

3,631 posts, read 7,673,031 times
At my age and given the significant cost of a new vehicle I'm ok with paying a couple thousand extra to get the vehicle equipped with the options that will best suit my needs. I don't want to experience buyers remorse on a major long term purchase and left wishing I had spent a little more.

Old 11-20-2018, 10:04 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
New cars if you lease, if you drive alot it's a very bad investment especially for high end cars. Every 50k mi you lose 20% of original value. Many $60k+ cars are worth less than $10k after 10 years.

Old 11-20-2018, 10:16 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,186,509 times
We buy used, typically just a few years old, but still new enough that it has newer features and a lot of miles left in it. We drive our vehicles to the ground. We both have Honda's and hubby's Ridgeline has over 200,000+ miles on it, and it's still going strong. I have a Honda Civic that I don't see getting rid of for a good eight to ten years. We did buy new once, a Saturn SL-1, I drove that car into the ground, probably drove it longer than I should have since it needed more work than I had money for. We're sticking to Honda's from now on.

Old 11-20-2018, 10:43 AM

1,618 posts, read 2,625,175 times
I generally buy new because the features I want are hard to find used. When buying, I've found that getting the loaded top-end or one-down trim level rather than something closer to base avoids buyers remorse later (or at least postpones it).

Old 11-20-2018, 11:36 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,830,750 times
My last 3 cars - used Ford F150 (2 years old when I bought it), a leased Chevrolet Spark EV (because the lease was only $109 a month), a brand new Kia Soul. The Soul comes in a couple packages and I did not get the top package but the one below, which came with the more comfortable seats, heated seats, the side/back alert system and the upgraded radio/speakers.

I did drive the base model and found the seats to be awful. I actually looked at a base model BMW X3 and for about half the price, preferred the little turbo Kia.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 11-20-2018, 11:51 AM

6,737 posts, read 4,421,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by npaladin2000 View Post
I generally buy new because the features I want are hard to find used. When buying, I've found that getting the loaded top-end or one-down trim level rather than something closer to base avoids buyers remorse later (or at least postpones it).

Buying the top end or a little lower, helps later if you decide to sell or trade. I've only bought one used vehicle in my life, a 4x4 truck, and I worked with the guy so I knew the vehicle. Buying used is always a crap shoot. There are reasons why the vehicle was traded in or is for sale. Its up to you to find out the details. Failure to do this can cost you big. With all the flood vehicles out now, Do you homework.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive