Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2018, 09:55 AM

7,891 posts, read 11,413,575 times

Advertisements

As labor costs have soared and complexity of new vehicles as well, I wish there was an independent source of what schedule to follow on maintenance items. Oil change is one that gets a lot of discussion and wide variance in recommended approach especially as synthetics have come on the scene. I have arrived at what I think is the right approach on oil intervals.

But there are many others where the clear discussion of various intervals is difficult to find. What got me started on this was having my 2014 LS460 in for oil change at the dealer I trust. They recommended I do a brake fluid flush and in fact recommended it every 15k miles. By the way the cost quoted me was $270. I get tires from Sam's club where they provide life time free rotation with the tire. I understand their is synergy doing flush and rotation as wheels need to come off for the flush so perhaps that is why dealer quoted this cost. I found quotes for the flush ranging from $80 to the dealer quote.

I asked frequency each suggested, the answer ranged from every four years to the deal 15k miles or once a year quote.

Is there a source of an independent recommendation on all PM steps?

I see luxury car dealerships that build mega high end dealerships and they seem to depend on customers having them do al the PM maintenance at their high costs. I wish in buying a car, we not only got an MSRP but a list of recommended PM and the cost the dealer quotes for each and all of those services.

Am I the only one with this interest and crazy idea?

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2018, 10:09 AM

7,185 posts, read 9,322,724 times
You likely received an owners manual with the car.

I would just follow the recommendation for maintenance from that manual.

I think most shops are focused on maximizing revenue. Of course they will recommend more maintenance!

Old 11-24-2018, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
You likely received an owners manual with the car.

I would just follow the recommendation for maintenance from that manual.

I think most shops are focused on maximizing revenue. Of course they will recommend more maintenance!

Yes I have one no cost in there. Thanks and yes it is about them I ask for an independent assessment they have conflict of interest. Which is why I was asking for an independent assessment with cost.

I gather you think the current situation is fine. I do not

Old 11-24-2018, 02:01 PM

5,674 posts, read 5,885,028 times
Well, unless the guy trying to sell you these items built the car, which he/she didn't then, do what the books calls for, not what the service rep says. That's what they get paid for, selling you stuff you really don't need. The salesman has no clue what "they" recommend, and probably doent know what the book says either. Sure it would be nice if the dealer gave you a list of what they recommend, but theres no need, its already in the manual what the manufacturer recommends, no need to reinvent the wheel.

Old 11-24-2018, 02:13 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,769,559 times
A brake fluid flush every 15k is ludicrous. Totally unnecessary. Every 100k would be more appropriate.

The owner's manual is a good place to start, but also take that with a grain of salt. OEM's have every incentive to stretch maintenance intervals as far as possible. Particularly where leases and fleet sales are concerned... maintenance costs matter. I think they also get EPA credits for increased maintenance intervals. So I look at maintenance intervals in the owner's manual as the maximum that you can get away with.

From there, apply good judgment and improve on things a little. Particularly in known problem areas with the specific vehicle in question.

For instance when GM says that the trans fluid is lifetime fill... if you mean to keep the car for a long time, change it at 80,000.

Or for instance if it's a dodge, just go ahead and replace the transmission at 80,000. Assuming it lasted that long

Last edited by turkey-head; 11-24-2018 at 02:22 PM..

Old 11-24-2018, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
A brake fluid flush every 15k is ludicrous. Totally unnecessary. Every 100k would be more appropriate.

The owner's manual is a good place to start, but also take that with a grain of salt. OEM's have every incentive to stretch maintenance intervals as far as possible. Particularly where leases and fleet sales are concerned... maintenance costs matter. I think they also get EPA credits for increased maintenance intervals. So I look at maintenance intervals in the owner's manual as the maximum that you can get away with.

From there, apply good judgment and improve on things a little. Particularly in known problem areas with the specific vehicle in question.

For instance when GM says that the trans fluid is lifetime fill... if you mean to keep the car for a long time, change it at 80,000.

Or for instance if it's a dodge, just go ahead and replace the transmission at 80,000. Assuming it lasted that long

Thanks for the comments.

I consider the manufacturer and dealer conflicted. I would guess since I plan to keep these so called reliable cars for 100k miles plus that if i did all the PM and regular maintenance at the dealer at their posted prices Id spend over $20k. They have no incentive to make the cost lower under the current market rules. Make them post this for buyers that would put some pressure on them in terms of hourly cost and frequency of PM.

I can tell from the response I am wasting my time here.. I know what the owners manual lsays that was not my question. I do not know what the cost would be to do all things per owners manual at the dealer. They should tell me. I will continue to pursue making this a requirement.

Old 11-24-2018, 02:39 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
As labor costs have soared and complexity of new vehicles as well, I wish there was an independent source of what schedule to follow on maintenance items. Oil change is one that gets a lot of discussion and wide variance in recommended approach especially as synthetics have come on the scene. I have arrived at what I think is the right approach on oil intervals.

But there are many others where the clear discussion of various intervals is difficult to find. What got me started on this was having my 2014 LS460 in for oil change at the dealer I trust. They recommended I do a brake fluid flush and in fact recommended it every 15k miles. By the way the cost quoted me was $270. I get tires from Sam's club where they provide life time free rotation with the tire. I understand their is synergy doing flush and rotation as wheels need to come off for the flush so perhaps that is why dealer quoted this cost. I found quotes for the flush ranging from $80 to the dealer quote.

I asked frequency each suggested, the answer ranged from every four years to the deal 15k miles or once a year quote.

Is there a source of an independent recommendation on all PM steps?

I see luxury car dealerships that build mega high end dealerships and they seem to depend on customers having them do al the PM maintenance at their high costs. I wish in buying a car, we not only got an MSRP but a list of recommended PM and the cost the dealer quotes for each and all of those services.

Am I the only one with this interest and crazy idea?

Thanks in advance

As far as I know the best thing is to follow the manufacturers recommended schedule. Anything beyond the recommended service in the owners manual is the dealer trying to sucker you into additional services that are not needed. And dealers ALWAYS try to sell service work before it’s needed.
One time a dealer tried to sell my wife 2500 bucks worth of “needed” work. She went in for a oil change. Guy tried to sell her a timing belt job, accessory belts, fluid flushes and a “needed” brake job on all four corners. Car had 30,000 miles.
I told her to leave.
Looked at everything
Fluids were fine. No requirement to replace only check and top off.
Brakes were at 50%
Belts were fine
Timing belt was recommended at 60,000 miles and it was not required in California to ma8btain powertrain warranty. Which means you are not required to do th3 belt at the 60,000 mile mark

At 55,000 I did all the services.

Old 11-24-2018, 03:31 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Hen it comes to the manufacturer warranty, the maintenance schedule is only “recommended.” If a dealer tells you that something needs changing before the recommended miles/years, you have to do it, or the warranty can be invalidated. I have been through this a couple of times, and contacted Dearborn and Auburn Hills on this and they will back up the dealer, whose “visual inspection” of fluid condition is taken over the manual.

You are not likely to get any dealer or other shop to give you a price for any maintenance item when you buy it, because the price is going to increase over the years that you own the car. With the cost of materials, supplies, disposal, and labor going up all the time, a brake fluid flush for $270 today might be $325 next time you need it. By the way, I have never had a break fluid flush in less than 80-100,000 miles, and I would consider $100-150 to be a fair price. Having done it myself many times, it’s just messy labor, and a bottle of fluid, certainly not worth $270.

Old 11-24-2018, 03:53 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,421,309 times
No one can tell you what it’s going to cost to keep up with normal maintenance at a dealer. Every dealership is different some are owned by mega companies that own many different dealerships so they can offer cheaper prices because they can buy in bulk like oil and other fluids. And also it depends in what state you live in. States like Michigan it’s cheaper for shipping cost do parts better allot are stored here in many warehouses. Just follow the maintenance schedule in your owner manual. And there’s no difference between a lease or a fleet or a regular vehicle maintenance schedule. Only for heavy driving conditions like a police or taxi cab usage then more frequent maintenance schedule is used.

Old 11-24-2018, 03:54 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Hen it comes to the manufacturer warranty, the maintenance schedule is only “recommended.” If a dealer tells you that something needs changing before the recommended miles/years, you have to do it, or the warranty can be invalidated. I have been through this a couple of times, and contacted Dearborn and Auburn Hills on this and they will back up the dealer, whose “visual inspection” of fluid condition is taken over the manual.

You are not likely to get any dealer or other shop to give you a price for any maintenance item when you buy it, because the price is going to increase over the years that you own the car. With the cost of materials, supplies, disposal, and labor going up all the time, a brake fluid flush for $270 today might be $325 next time you need it. By the way, I have never had a break fluid flush in less than 80-100,000 miles, and I would consider $100-150 to be a fair price. Having done it myself many times, it’s just messy labor, and a bottle of fluid, certainly not worth $270.
Unless there is some extenuating circumstances breaking down the fluid I never had a issue. I have yet to have a repair warranty or otherwise due to a fluid breaking down to the point where it damaged a component. Even if I extended the service

There are brake flush systems that allow you to change the fluid a one man operation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive