Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 06:12 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,105,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
It's simple enough to make the system remind the owner a fob is inside the car, such as by not allowing door locking or a warning beep. My 2003 Mercedes had both. If there's any fob-keyed car that is completely passive about this security issue, yes, it is a manufacturer deficit.
Exactly.

Our Volkswagens are programmed to not allow you to lock the doors if you leave your fob inside.

The technology is not rocket science.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2019, 06:15 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Actually since almost all auto theft is by young men, if you just buy a car with a stick-shift, it becomes almost theft proof. Millennial men who can drive stick are damn thin on the ground.

Old 01-11-2019, 06:21 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,421,309 times
Quote:
I don't see why a fob would ever leave your pocket. I had any number of issues with the '03, but I never failed to feel a childish delight at being able to open the door and start the car just because I had a magic rock in my pocket.

But people will carry it in a purse, jacket pocket, gym bag, whatever - or drop it in a cupholder - and there you go. No different from simply leaving the keys in, which is a problem that's never been fully cured either.
Because they have the key fob on a keychain with other keys instead of leaving it separate. I have no sympathy for idiots who leave their keys or key fob in their vehicle.

Old 01-11-2019, 06:31 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,210,466 times
It's the law of diminishing returns. The cost of a lost fob exceeds the risk of not securing it properly. Get used to it, that law is becoming commonplace in everything technological.

Old 01-11-2019, 06:48 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,762,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Because they have the key fob on a keychain with other keys instead of leaving it separate.
Could you make sense out of that? What difference does it make whether it's on a key ring or not?

Leaving it separate would tend to increase leaving it in the car, a jacket, etc. Most people have the firm habit of keeping keyrings with them.

Old 01-11-2019, 07:40 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,421,309 times
Quote:
Could you make sense out of that? What difference does it make whether it's on a key ring or not?

Leaving it separate would tend to increase leaving it in the car, a jacket, etc. Most people have the firm habit of keeping keyrings with them.
Keep your keys and key fob separate it’s easier to pull out just your key fob instead of all your keys. I leave my key fob in my pants pocket, and a woman can leave it in their purse, or pocket i never carry a bunch of keys with me when working i had my keys hanging from my belt.

Old 01-11-2019, 07:49 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,230,260 times
Just think in another decade or two stealing cars will be a think of the past when self-driving cars rule the roads. Can't wait.

Old 01-11-2019, 08:05 PM

6,362 posts, read 4,187,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
Just think in another decade or two stealing cars will be a think of the past when self-driving cars rule the roads. Can't wait.
Long before that happens you won’t need any keys at all and we’re partially there already!

Old 01-11-2019, 08:43 PM

17,305 posts, read 12,251,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
Long before that happens you won’t need any keys at all and we’re partially there already!
Surprised we haven't gone further down this road with slim wallet keys.

Or just using your phone fully as the key as you can to lock/unlock/remote start some brands now.

Old 01-11-2019, 08:58 PM

2,260 posts, read 1,137,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
Plus, who goes on the news and tells everyone that he's a blithering idiot??
Have you seen the president lately?

My car unlocks 3 times before it tells me "F You, you want it locked, you got it!"

I dont care how safe your neighborhood is, purposely leaving the key fob in the car is ridiculously lazy, and defeats the purpose of the design.

I was careless once. On a trip to Virginia I took my spare key with me and left it in my book bag.
When I got home, I parked in the driveway, got out with it running and wondered why the car didnt warn me that the key left the car. Wasnt till later that day I realized I left my key in the bag in the back seat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive