Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2019, 06:11 AM

17,619 posts, read 17,656,125 times

Advertisements

Are some brands more prone to this problem than others? I’ve seen some cars with no sign of this problem while some newer vehicles are starting to show signs of this problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2019, 06:15 AM

1,002 posts, read 917,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Are some brands more prone to this problem than others? I’ve seen some cars with no sign of this problem while some newer vehicles are starting to show signs of this problem.
Inside or outside?

Here in Vermont, EVERY car has headlights covered in ice, because everything is covered in ice.

Old 01-26-2019, 06:30 AM

4,948 posts, read 3,051,034 times
On my GM the plastic oxidized, creating that frosty look.
Fortunately my headlights are easily removed, unlike many other makes.

Then you can simply wet sand it off and re-coat.

Old 01-26-2019, 06:51 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,208,266 times
In the 40s car headlights were made of some space age material that didn't degrade. If it got damaged, every car had identical seal beam assembles that could be easily and cheaply replaced. I wonder what that was, and why they don't use it anymore.

Old 01-26-2019, 07:09 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,972,072 times
Sealed beam headlights were (and are) made of glass. There were few (if any) "space age" materials in the 1940s, long before the "Space Age".

Prior to the sealed beams, the headlight lenses were made of glass, as were some of the reflectors. Other reflectors were made of metal, which would eventually tarnish. Replacing the bulbs in those headlights was interesting; don't drop the lens, don't touch the reflector, remove the bulb, install the new one, replace the lens gasket, and reinstall the lens.
Chances are, they don't use glass today because of time and expense.

Molding a plastic part is quick and cheap, even if it must be optically clean and clear.

Molding optical glass is slow and expensive, and once it is molded it must be annealed to relieve stresses and prevent cracking. Optical quality glass is expensive, and molding and annealing takes a lot of time.
Time and money; the same reasons they use cheap plastic for body parts instead of metal, and nickel plate or stainless steel for trim instead of chrome plate.

Old 01-26-2019, 07:26 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
They need to be waxed periodically just like the paint, or else they will oxidize. Cars kept in a garage and out of the sun will have headlights that look better longer.

Old 01-26-2019, 07:57 AM

496 posts, read 445,721 times
I had this problem on my old car. I got in a fender bender and one headlight was replaced, but they didn't replace the other which was yellowed. I was planning to replace it but never got to it.

The headlight assemblies for most cars don't cost that much these days, and if they're oxidized, I'd say just replace them. You can get them sanded and polished out, but it seems to come back later.

I am wondering with my new car how to keep them from yellowing. I suppose I will try waxing them as suggested. Could a film placed over them possibly prevent yellowing? I'm get the idea the sun plus road debris in the air while driving causes them to get this way, along with the heat from the bulbs.

It does seem that cars made after the mid 2000s seem to do this less than cars made during the 90s did. I remember some of those would be totally clouded after about 5 years or so.

A car will look much better and newer with new, clear headlights. Oxidized headlights to me always made a car look like it hadn't been taken care of. Not that's necessarily the case, but it certainly made it look old.

Old 01-26-2019, 08:03 AM

19,024 posts, read 27,585,087 times
Well, we don't really know what OP means by frosting. Covered in frost or deteriorating and looking like frosted?

Try "waxing" them with shaving cream. It prevents fogging inside, might as well work on the outside.

Old 01-26-2019, 08:05 AM

45,369 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Well, we don't really know what OP means by frosting. Covered in frost or deteriorating and looking like frosted?

Try "waxing" them with shaving cream. It prevents fogging inside, might as well work on the outside.
He's in Louisiana so he probably means oxidation.

Old 01-26-2019, 08:11 AM

4,948 posts, read 3,051,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
They need to be waxed periodically just like the paint, or else they will oxidize. Cars kept in a garage and out of the sun will have headlights that look better longer.

Tried this already, 10 coats over the first 5 years; when car was new.
I'd imagine this issue is brand specific, dependent on quality of plastic materials used.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrlIhRea8u8

As per vid, if it's on the inside they would have to be replaced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive