Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 10:33 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,041,231 times

Advertisements

Most People Do Not Like Wide/Low-Profile Tires, Article Comments Suggest:

In the comment section of this article:

https://www.autotrader.com/car-tips/...re-size-213549

Many drivers actually want to minus-size the tire & wheel combos on their late-model cars, citing harsh ride and jittery handling associated with factory 19" & up wagon wheels!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2019, 11:09 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,771,072 times
I’m one of those people that can’t stand Low Pro tires. Big wheels look cool and all, and is what the aftermarket industry gave us for many years until automakers decided to copy that trend to the fullest nowadays, but YES, the ride quality sucks no doubt with very little rubber between the road and the suspension that just gives for a jittery harsh uncomfortable ride.

I remember how 15 inch wheels were standard for YEARS! But of course these days looks and styling matter more to people than comfort, or at least that’s what the automakers assume.

Smaller wheel options should be offered in metros with really bad infrastructure. Pothole riddled streets that look like grenades were tossed from the sky onto the streets in many places where I live is not only damaging to people’s cars out here, but it’s downright dangerous in certain areas where entire streets are full of deep earthquake looking cracks, falling apart asphalt and seriously lumpy, bumpy and uneven streets that is real safety concern to residents here because someone could easily lose control of their vehicle or get into an accident while avoiding huge crater like potholes as well.

Not only do low pro tires suck at absorbing road shock, but they are more expensive than tires that actually have more rubber on them! WTF is that all about.

Old 03-01-2019, 11:27 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
I'm old school. Give me a 15 inch wheel and a tall tire any day, it fills up the wheel well better and rides better than those rubber band tires on big rims.

Old 03-02-2019, 12:00 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Bigger wheels are on cars due to the increase brake size they have now.

As for looks, low profile only looks good on certain cars and that is it, my opinion of course. I am tlaking the sport cars, cars set up for track racing. Tossing low profiles on a F-150 or Camry looks ridiculous. The new Escalades for example look ridiculous.

Old 03-02-2019, 07:27 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,421,309 times
I’m old school also these are the tires on the cars i grew up with no low profile for me 1972 barracuda.

Attachment 208668

Last edited by easy62; 10-09-2019 at 07:08 PM..

Old 03-02-2019, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Bigger wheels are on cars due to the increase brake size they have now.

As for looks, low profile only looks good on certain cars and that is it, my opinion of course. I am tlaking the sport cars, cars set up for track racing. Tossing low profiles on a F-150 or Camry looks ridiculous. The new Escalades for example look ridiculous.

Ok, bigger diameter rims, but must they be wider? Like I said, I've driven on wider wheels, and I can't relax behind the wheel driving something like that. The reaction is disproportionate to the effort I exert the steering wheel - like I turn it one-two inches and the car wants to cross the road or mount the curb!

Narrower wheels, regardless of diameter or tire profile, tend to roll straighter and resist every little crack or hole in the roads compared to wider wheel/tire combos, which tend to 'tram-line', or follow ruts or other surface imperfections.

Automakers take note: Provide an option for taller rims but the same width as their smaller diameter counterparts. IE: My base Elantra tire/wheels are P195/65R15, T rated - so offer a wheel/tire option such as 195/55R17, or such, on a higher trim Elantra. Base width is preserved, less tire and more rim is showing, handling is a little crisper, but without the wandering tendencies of wider wheels.

Old 03-02-2019, 07:48 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,639,596 times
Big balloon tires, in general, have a nicer ride and wear longer. If you want a soft ride and good tire life, don’t buy a low profile performance tire.

Those max-performance tires sacrifice ride and tire life for maximum stick and handling performance. The low profile design helps prevent tire rollover and sidewall scrubbing, dangerous behavior in a car being pushed near its handling limits. Two of my cars (2008 Audi S4 Avant and 1999 Panoz AIV roadster) have max-performance tires and I like them because I like their performance when I’m having fun. There’s a reason for the kinds of tires seen on track cars.

As far as the tendency to put extreme low profiles tires on huge rims for cruising around town, I agree it looks dumb (IMO) but, people do all kinds of stuff I think is dumb. Take this fad for example....

https://images.search.yahoo.com/imag...ad&fr2=piv-web

Old 03-02-2019, 07:53 AM

5,674 posts, read 5,882,381 times
D owe really need another thread on this?

Old 03-02-2019, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
Big balloon tires, in general, have a nicer ride and wear longer. If you want a soft ride and good tire life, don’t buy a low profile performance tire.

Those max-performance tires sacrifice ride and tire life for maximum stick and handling performance. The low profile design helps prevent tire rollover and sidewall scrubbing, dangerous behavior in a car being pushed near its handling limits. Two of my cars (2008 Audi S4 Avant and 1999 Panoz AIV roadster) have max-performance tires and I like them because I like their performance when I’m having fun. There’s a reason for the kinds of tires seen on track cars.

As far as the tendency to put extreme low profiles tires on huge rims for cruising around town, I agree it looks dumb (IMO) but, people do all kinds of stuff I think is dumb. Take this fad for example....

https://images.search.yahoo.com/imag...arch.yahoo.com

Actually, 19" & up superwide wagon wheels are now OEM on mid to higher trim levels of cars from the manufacturers, so nowadays it is not always vehicle owners plus-sizing their rolling stock.

IE: I like having a moonroof in my car. If I were buying soon I'd have to buy that moonroof as part of a higher trim-level or package, which often includes those ridiculous wide and tall rims and low-pro tires, along with leather heated seats, blue tooth compatibility, and other doo-dads I have neither the care nor the patience for!

Vehicle mfgs. and dealers should just go back to the old checkbox list system of optioning up cars, but I guess a la carte builds are not the economical practice nowadays.

Old 03-02-2019, 08:46 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,421,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
Actually, 19" & up superwide wagon wheels are now OEM on mid to higher trim levels of cars from the manufacturers, so nowadays it is not always vehicle owners plus-sizing their rolling stock.

IE: I like having a moonroof in my car. If I were buying soon I'd have to buy that moonroof as part of a higher trim-level or package, which often includes those ridiculous wide and tall rims and low-pro tires, along with leather heated seats, blue tooth compatibility, and other doo-dads I have neither the care nor the patience for!

Vehicle mfgs. and dealers should just go back to the old checkbox list system of optioning up cars, but I guess a la carte builds are not the economical practice nowadays.
Don’t have to worry since most sedans are going away and the ones that remain are the muscle car ones or the luxury ones so no low profile tires.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive