Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2019, 07:13 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,169,514 times

Advertisements

I previously had a STARNEX CAMBALL SG-30 that I liked. I was a good unit that lasted for about two years operating in my car and on my bicycle. It's main problem though was that the control button springs were weak and broke almost immediately, but since all the setting I needed were already input, I had no need to push buttons to make any changes.

Anyway... after a 5-7 year hiatus I finally found a new recorder that I liked the reviews enough to take a chance on the purchase. So, I now have a Mobius Maxi Action Cam. Of course, I love it, but it has only been three days so, time will tell.

I think high internal heat is another cam killer. This new one has an external heat sink that gets pretty hot, hopefully it is a big enough to keep the unit cool.

Even though the Mobius is very small, it and it's lens are fairly obvious to me when looking into the car, but of all the people who passed the parked car, none of them seem to have noticed it. I do wonder if this is an item that will chase thieves - or attract them.

I have been viewing some of the video and I have these observations...
  • The first thing I used the camera to record was myself working on a project in the garage. I noticed in the video, that I sometimes take "odd" stutter steps. After watching myself in a few more actions, I see that I have a "big man" gate that I see now in other bigger people. It is not something that I would have otherwise noticed in myself or other people. Further observations show that a majority of people over 40 or so have an odd hitch in their step.
  • The view through the recordings is amazing. Your eyes have more range and can scan of course but the view is not sharp anywhere except in the viewing area you are focusing on. Through the camera, even it's "peripheral" vision is always sharp. It looks strange at first and takes a little getting used to.
  • Speed is deceptive. In the video it looks like I am driving faster than I actually am. I think that explains (at least a little) why it always seems that Russians are moving far too fast in their driving/crash videos; re-watching a couple though confirms that they do drive far too fast for conditions.
  • The camera can be set to continue recording for x minutes after turning off the ignition. During that time you can see and hear quite a lot. Apparently it is not uncommon for people who get out of their cars to "take a smoke" before going inside a store. These people have a nasty habit of leaning on your fenders during that time.
  • I suppose that legally speaking - even in one party consent states - you can be guilty of eavesdropping when the camera records while you are away. It would be nice if there was a configuration that cuts out audio when the camera is running on battery.
  • I thought they were better fliers, but I heard one thunk on the fender and then saw a bird flying away from the car. I hope it wasn't injured, but it makes me wonder now how often it is that birds hit parked cars.

All-in-all, it is interesting to watch.

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 03-14-2019 at 07:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2019, 08:35 AM

1,062 posts, read 981,837 times
Don't worry about "eavesdropping". If anything you would want the sound recording when you're away. No one is going to prosecute you.

But make sure the device is protected from heat. I've had several Mobius 1 camera batteries swell up from overheating. I now run them with supercapacitors. The downside of the supercapacitor is the camera has to be set to switch off immediately because the capacitor can't run it for very long

Old 03-15-2019, 09:18 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times
regarding the eavesdropping issue, recent court rulings have come down that have overturned those laws making it legal to record anyone in public, including their conversations, without issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive