Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 05:15 PM

1,530 posts, read 2,415,635 times

Advertisements

Back in the early 70's I drove from Dayton, OH to Daytona, FL with three six footers in the back seat of a Mercury Cougar. I've never been the same since.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2019, 05:41 PM

108 posts, read 120,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
of all the cars/vans/trucks we have, these were the top 3 in terms of hours of driving comfort:
1. Toyota Sienna. #1 by far. Daytona to DC. Myrtle Beach to Memphis. best ever.
2. Chevy Malibu. not a "couch" but a recliner. seat adjustments take the pain away.
3. Toyota Camry. 2007 model. not the newer ones.

the worst?
2012 Honda Accord.
from the headrest to the front floor angle.
You know, normally I can never sleep in the car. However, we rented a Toyota Sienna once, and I was actually able to get some sleep on the long drive. Many have suggested the Sienna. Maybe that truly is the answer!

Also, what year Malibu? I really like the car in general. Rented a 2009 back in the day, but I don't really remember the seats. Rented a 2017 recently. While the 2017 wasn't "spectacular" in terms of comfort, I'd say it was better than average. The only problem is it's a GM. I have trust issues with that company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
For the highway, I would concur with the Lexus LS and ES/Avalon, Mercedes S-Class, Volvo, and a Town Car with the air suspension. The Hyundai Genesis/G80 and Eqqus/G90 have very comfortable seats, as does the Audi A8. The rental car queen, i.e., Nissan Altima, has excellent zero gravity seats, but the rest of the car is an Altima with CVT, same with the Maxima. I never have had issues with the Lexus LX/Toyota Land Cruiser seats and Escalade seats are also pretty comfortable for me. I also think that newer 7-Series BMW seats are comfortable as well.
Those zero gravity seats are no joke, they're really good... Again, the problem, as you note, is the rest of the car. I know someone personally whose Nissan CVT failed after 2 years and 6 months of use. Out of warranty, about $5k to replace. I've never sat in an Avalon before, will have to try it.

Old 03-25-2019, 07:28 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,666,851 times
My LS430 rides like it's hovering on a cloud a few inches above the pavement, the faster you go the better it feels.

Lots of Lexus LS love in this thread, it's well deserved. I would drive mine to Alaska and back tomorrow if the need arose.

Old 03-25-2019, 08:57 PM

2,773 posts, read 5,159,064 times
large SUV or full size truck with nice leather seats and lumbar support.

Old 03-25-2019, 09:13 PM

603 posts, read 442,016 times
I’d suggest an 95 Impala or if a modern car a Ford Expedition SUV (2018+ with independent rear end). One of those ex police Chevy Caprice patrol cars that they imported around 2012 would be good too if you can find one. A 2010-15 LS460 Lexus would also be a great option.
Normally I’d just say S class but they can have reliability issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive