Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2019, 10:12 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,590,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I have an alternative idea how to solve the reach/recharging problem of electric cars: developing a global modular battery format (similar to the way PC components have standardized formats) so that people simply exchange one or more battery modules at the "gas station" (e-station?), which stores hundreds of fully charged batteries. So a car x comes in and replaces, say, 5 modules for a recharge fee. The e-station then recharges them (ideally via solar panels) and a few hours later car z gets, say 3, of those modules.
Of course this requires car makers to place batteries at an easily accessible location of the car.

If this were feasible it would already be happening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2019, 10:43 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
If this were feasible it would already be happening.
Maybe nobody else has simply had that idea, yet

Old 03-29-2019, 02:03 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,241,982 times
Quote:
Maybe nobody else has simply had that idea, yet

Plenty of people have had that idea, and it isn't feasible, at least not currently. In a concentrated, high wealth area where Tesla has good market penetration for example, you could conceivably offer a battery swap solution... but you'd still need more batteries than the number of cars in the area, probably at least double the amount. That is a significant upfront cost, especially as you'd also have to consider which gas stations do the most volume of business. That would lead to only a few stations being chosen as a battery swap location.

Then, to do a network of these stations, it would only make sense if they were going to be seeing significant EV volume. That eliminates pretty much any rural location, or poorer locations.

In the end, what you'd be looking at is basically how Tesla has their Supercharger stations set up now... Just in a few select areas where it made sense economically and the customer base was there to support it.

Now, if everyone was driving an EV, then things could change, but we're a long way from that.

Old 03-29-2019, 02:12 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
I have already contacted one of the Chinese EV makers (there are lots of them), maybe they will reply, who knows

Old 03-29-2019, 02:31 PM

1,740 posts, read 1,269,105 times
Tesla had demoed this idea. Outside of the cost, part of the problem is the skateboard pack is integrated structurally with the car frame to enhance handling and crash safety.

Old 06-27-2019, 02:24 PM

1,740 posts, read 1,269,105 times
https://www.carsales.com.au/editoria...ys-bmw-119190/

How thick are BMW's blinders? They are so gonna get crushed. 5 yrs before German bailout?

Old 06-27-2019, 10:06 PM

6,560 posts, read 7,139,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeApelido View Post
https://www.carsales.com.au/editoria...ys-bmw-119190/

How thick are BMW's blinders? They are so gonna get crushed. 5 yrs before German bailout?
What is so surprising from this article? The guy is in the know, not some internet troll.

Old 06-29-2019, 10:37 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Germans are often a bit slow, they kind of missed the electric car trend, like other trends before. They like to rest on their laurels.
They also have design problems, their electric cars mostly look weird, they don't appeal to more mature drivers. The BMW i3 for instance is one incredibly ugly car...
I think many people willing to go electric want a car that looks classic, but with an electric motor and batteries inside.
I think there are a lot of people who will opt for doing a electric car conversion. I’m betting there will be kits to convert your gas car to a electric car. To me it makes sense.

Old 06-29-2019, 11:21 AM

3,637 posts, read 1,699,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtt99 View Post
Gasoline cars are making less and less sense by the day. The OP's post is showing a general trend among consumers.
Good, that will leave more gas for me. The only electric car I will ever drive is a golf cart. Yep, I'm a dinosaur, but gas guzzlers are sure a lot more fun, and they make good noises !

Old 06-29-2019, 04:36 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,590,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I think there are a lot of people who will opt for doing a electric car conversion. I’m betting there will be kits to convert your gas car to a electric car. To me it makes sense.
ICE vehicles were never intended to be converted and I don't see where you would put all the batteries to make it comparable in range to an EV. It would be cost prohibitive convert older cars and people with newer ICE vehicles will have them because they want them. I can some tinkerers doing a Rube Goldberg conversion, but I don't see an aftermarket kit ever coming to market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive