Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 03:16 PM

6,981 posts, read 5,487,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
Supposedly, but now they've moved on to what they call Direct Fuel Management, where the truck can run on 2, 4, 6 or 8 cylinders depending upon demand.

Only time will tell if it's reliable or not.

I only keep my trucks three years before I turn them around, so I'm not too worried about it. But you can buy an AFM/DFM disabler from a company called Range Technologies.

Or you can go all the way and get a custom tune...
GM had that in the The V-8-6-4, offered in a limited number of '81 Cadillacs, was designed to improve the fuel economy of the full-size luxury sedan known for its thirst for fuel when gas prices were soaring. We’re you started out in 8 cylinders than went to 6 and then to 4 cylinders didn’t work that well back then but GM was a ahead for it’s time when it came to fuel economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2019, 03:21 PM

30,701 posts, read 80,168,574 times
A lot depends on how you will use the truck and how long you will have it. In real world usage (rather than paper specifications), the new F-150s take a lot of hits for being under-powered. Personally, I would not want one if it had an aluminium body.

What is it you want? Hauling, towing, off road capability, luxury on the road driving, slightly better mpg, style, chick magnet, available options, ruggedness, comfort, better ride, better handling, acceleration out of a light, storage, color options. . .

Pick ups from the three primary manufacturers are so similar today it can come down to some tiny nit that makes all the difference for you. Do not rely on paper specifications. If one is supposed a smidge faster or more powerful or has a half inch more legroom, you have to go try them and see whether it makes any difference whatsoever in your personal preferences and needs.

It helps to find a place where you can test/examine one immediately after the other. Otherwise your memory will defeat your purpose.

Using acceleration as an example, 99% of pick up owners will never ever push their truck to the limits of its acceleration. thus, for almost everyone, a small difference is no difference.

It may come down to which color you like the best.

Old 05-30-2019, 04:05 PM

5,717 posts, read 19,036,823 times
I've driven Ford trucks since 1974. I've pretty much had anything they've offered in a truck, diesel, F150, F250, F350, V8, V6, and just about all trim levels. I currently drive a 2014 F150 and I wouldn't trade it for ANY Ford truck even if it was a no cost swap. The "new" 10 speed automatic is a nightmare. This transmission was designed and built in concert with GM. GM can't make the thing work right either. If slamming into gear, wrong gear, converter chatter, seems normal to you, then you'd probably be happy. But that's what both makers are telling customers that the POS transmissions are normal. GM has not fixed the GM driveline vibration. Yet another "normal" thing to put up with. If looking at the Fords, the only engine worth having is the 5.0 V8 and it's going away. There will be a 4.8 V8 replacement soon. The EcoBoost 2.7 is anemic in the truck and has been a major disappointment for buyers. Gas mileage isn't what they claim either. The 3.5 EB engine is a dandy but it carries 2 separate injection systems that YOU will maintain after it's out of warranty. FAR, FAR too much crap to make the engine run right that YOU will maintain. The ONLY truck out there that seems to be reasonably trouble free is the Ram. While the Hemi is not a Hemi, it has gone thru several redesigns that now has it to be a pretty decent engine. The 8 speed auto is seamless. Gas mileage has come up significantly since they canned the Lean Burn Technology BS. AS of now, the Ram would be the only full size truck I'd look at. It's J D Power's pick as the best truck on the road. I'd suggest at least looking and driving one before spending the cash for a Ford or a GM.

Old 05-31-2019, 04:53 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,668,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
I've driven Ford trucks since 1974. I've pretty much had anything they've offered in a truck, diesel, F150, F250, F350, V8, V6, and just about all trim levels. I currently drive a 2014 F150 and I wouldn't trade it for ANY Ford truck even if it was a no cost swap. The "new" 10 speed automatic is a nightmare. This transmission was designed and built in concert with GM. GM can't make the thing work right either. If slamming into gear, wrong gear, converter chatter, seems normal to you, then you'd probably be happy. But that's what both makers are telling customers that the POS transmissions are normal. GM has not fixed the GM driveline vibration. Yet another "normal" thing to put up with. If looking at the Fords, the only engine worth having is the 5.0 V8 and it's going away. There will be a 4.8 V8 replacement soon. The EcoBoost 2.7 is anemic in the truck and has been a major disappointment for buyers. Gas mileage isn't what they claim either. The 3.5 EB engine is a dandy but it carries 2 separate injection systems that YOU will maintain after it's out of warranty. FAR, FAR too much crap to make the engine run right that YOU will maintain. The ONLY truck out there that seems to be reasonably trouble free is the Ram. While the Hemi is not a Hemi, it has gone thru several redesigns that now has it to be a pretty decent engine. The 8 speed auto is seamless. Gas mileage has come up significantly since they canned the Lean Burn Technology BS. AS of now, the Ram would be the only full size truck I'd look at. It's J D Power's pick as the best truck on the road. I'd suggest at least looking and driving one before spending the cash for a Ford or a GM.
2.7 Ecoboost is certainly not anemic. I own 3 F-150's 2001 4.6 Triton (nice truck anemic) 2013 5.0 good performance, good towing bad on gas, 2016 2.7 good power great mpg for a truck. Have you ever driven a 2.7?

Old 05-31-2019, 06:37 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,933,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post
Funny I have not had a single issue nor heard of any personally with the 10 speed automatic. We also have the Turbo 2.7, certainly not anemic by any means. Not sure where you are getting these ideas, certainly not from owning one and personal experience.
The 10 Speed, 2.7 Turbo and its corresponding gas milage plus the back seat room is the primary reason I selected my F150. In looking I felt the Silverado was several years behind in technology. If I bought one today, the F150 would still be my 1st choice with the RAM my second. The GMC Denali is a good looking truck but, JMO very pricy for a jazzed up Silverado.

Old 05-31-2019, 07:13 AM

5,499 posts, read 6,167,881 times
The 2.7 F150 is no slug at 0-60 times (7.0sec) it really can't hold up against the larger eco boost V-6 or the 5.0 V8 which turn in times over a second better. Of course, all are speedy compared to my old tried and true workhorse, a 2002 4.6 F150 (usually hitting 60 before dark if I start by noon.)

Gas mileage is all about the driver. I can eek 17.5 mpg around town out of my '17 5.0, and 21 on the highway. If I am not playing "Ford-Engineer-at-the-proving-grounds-trying-for-optimum-mileage", I get about 15-16 in town and 19 on the highway.

Love the F150 in all it's various stages. Have driven the Chevy and like it, but not as much as the Ford. Haven't tried the Dodge in years. They burned me on two products, a half ton Prospector and a minivan, so I swore off for life. A neighbor has a new Dodge pickup and loves it...... I told him to wait 3 or 4 years and let's see how it goes.

Old 05-31-2019, 07:17 AM

8,272 posts, read 11,076,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelFeedsTheSoul View Post
Debating between the 2019 Ford F150 Platinum vs GMC Sierra AT4. What do you all think? I feel that the F150 is the quintessential pick up truck. However, the Sierra AT4 seems to offer more and seems more versatile.
Chocolate ice cream or Vanilla ice cream.

One scoop or two scoops.

The debate is endless. My TV is better than your TV.

Whomever provides the best deal. Whomever offers the better service.

Old 05-31-2019, 07:29 AM

8,272 posts, read 11,076,736 times
If a business is involved one qualifies for GM Business Choice Program. With GM Business Choice one can order a single truck or multiple trucks with SEO (fleet) colors. Anyone with any business qualifies for GM Business Choice Program. You can order one or more trucks with below colors. Note: most dealers salespeople know little or nothing about the Business Choice Program. Business Choice Program is NOT fleet sales but does offer similar colors.

Choose your color. Some are no extra charge. Some have an added cost. There is a slight waiting period for SEO colors - as GM Chevrolet/GMC - does SEO colors is batches.

Old 05-31-2019, 08:23 AM

9,631 posts, read 4,437,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
the new F-150s take a lot of hits for being under-powered.

What?

2019 F150 Limited AWD, 3.5 Ecoboost 450hp: 0-60 5.1, 1/4 mile 13.7@102
2019 Silverado High Country 6.2 420hp: 0-60 5.4, 1/4 mile 13.9@100
2018 F150 4X2 Supercrew 2.7 Ecoboost 325hp: 0-60 5.9, 1/4 mile 14.4@99
2019 Silverado Crew Cab RST 4X4 355hp: 0-60: 6.1, 1/4 mile 14.7@95

Do you see the pattern?

It gets even worse at lower trim levels, since the 2.7 and 3.5 Ford Ecoboost engines are available on almost every trim level, whereas to get a 6.2 in a GM truck, you need to buy an LTZ or higher model.

GM is, in fact, losing the truck HP wars.

Old 05-31-2019, 09:32 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,924,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelFeedsTheSoul View Post
What about the GMC Sierra AT4's 5.3L V8? Not good enough?
Not sure why you'd settle for an Inferior powertrain unless you had to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive