Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2019, 08:20 AM

3,700 posts, read 2,430,558 times

Advertisements

A nice short presentation on the "four square method" from a guy who used to sell cars.

Who's every been in the 4-square situation? (I have not.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gtmij_uNuE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2019, 08:45 AM

959 posts, read 2,027,653 times
Didn't watch this particularly video, but seen many on the "4 Square" thing. Never dealt with in my life because I don't negotiate payments. I have my own "4 Line" Method

1 - Negotiate Price of Car (with any mandatory "fees" like doc fee included in my price)

2 - IF trading in vehicle, negotiate price of trade in (already prepared with estimated values and maybe a Carmax offer)

3 - IF financing, review various dealership offers for rates/duration (already prepared with what my credit union will offer)
4 - READ EVERYTHING - and make them take out all the BS they added like "interior protection, window vin etching, Lojak, rust coating, etc, etc...) I tell the finance manger I'll be there a while because I READ EVERY LINE OF WHAT I SIGN.

That's why I don't deal with 4 box junk.

Old 04-26-2019, 09:23 AM

3,700 posts, read 2,430,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by z28lt1 View Post
Didn't watch this particularly video, but seen many on the "4 Square" thing. Never dealt with in my life because I don't negotiate payments. I have my own "4 Line" Method

1 - Negotiate Price of Car (with any mandatory "fees" like doc fee included in my price)

2 - IF trading in vehicle, negotiate price of trade in (already prepared with estimated values and maybe a Carmax offer)

3 - IF financing, review various dealership offers for rates/duration (already prepared with what my credit union will offer)
4 - READ EVERYTHING - and make them take out all the BS they added like "interior protection, window vin etching, Lojak, rust coating, etc, etc...) I tell the finance manger I'll be there a while because I READ EVERY LINE OF WHAT I SIGN.

Good on you, z28.

I do most of the same things you do.

I get a pre-approved loan from my credit union in the form of a check up to a certain amount and bring that with me.

That's it.

No warranty, no extras, this and that. They get high profit margins on these things and they're rarely needed.

I sell my then-current car on private ads.

Old 04-26-2019, 09:56 AM

15,442 posts, read 25,865,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by z28lt1 View Post

That’s almost the same thing the video said. Almost.

Old 04-26-2019, 11:43 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,791,281 times
Once you realize it's all a big razzle game, a shell game where the sales carnie has all the pieces under his control, you'll never walk into a dealership again.

Auto brokers.

Old 04-26-2019, 11:51 AM

8,086 posts, read 10,107,307 times
We have been through this several times.

This exact car. This price. Take it or leave it. Saves angina on everyone's part.

Old 04-26-2019, 11:57 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,687 posts, read 81,473,200 times
I have bought 30+ cars over the years and I love the challenge of dealing with the sales people. The last three have been from the same dealership, because I found them to be honest and fair, and not play the games that others do. My last purchase was a 2017 F150, with a stick price of $46,800, and I was trading in a 2007 Ranger. I did not tell them how much of a payment I wanted, how much I wanted to pay for the truck, or how much I wanted for my trade. I simply told them the features I wanted in the new truck, and color choices. The sales person looked up the Blue Book on the Ranger. then while I test drove (2) they evaluated my Ranger, and came back offering me $800 more than I expected. When I decided on the truck I wanted I saw the invoice and sticker and offered $36,000, plus $250 to add the OEM trailer brake controller. He went to get approval from the sales manager and came back with the OK, no long negotiation involved. Then I told them I had pre-approval from my credit union, but then he talked to their finance guy and offered me a loan through another bank for .5% lower interest rate.

Old 04-26-2019, 02:30 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,061,191 times
Dealing with dealers is why I keep my cars long term. I hate dealing with car sales people. My current vehicles are 26 & 16 years old with no plans to replace them anytime soon.

It's all about maintenance ,maintenance ,maintenance . Also not falling victim to car ads, or other sells pitches.

Old 04-26-2019, 02:45 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,791,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I have bought 30+ cars over the years and I love the challenge of dealing with the sales people.
Well, it's just two sock puppets in the dark here, but I suspect most of your transactions would show... points that could have been improved in your favor, no matter how good a deal you are convinced you got.

One of the things the system fosters is the idea that Joe Q. Carbuyer can walk in and wrassle that alligator for the win... which is hilariously nonsensical. Most people buy a car no more often than every two or three years; these guys sell a dozen, fifty, a hundred a day. Every single factor is loaded in their favor, and when someone walks in armed with the latest Consumer Reports "How to buy a car" article in hand, they have layers and layers of backup tactics to deal with them.

You have a better chance of stepping into a back-alley craps game and being allowed to walk away with any winnings. That Freddy Friendly lets you 'win' a few small rounds doesn't mean you didn't get cleaned out.

The entire dealership system needs Congressional-level examination, review and overhaul, but in an era when the CFPB has been gutted on their landmark credit card and loan sharking protections, it ain't gonna happen.

Go to a reputable auto broker when you need a new or CPO car.

Old 04-26-2019, 03:59 PM

9,887 posts, read 14,169,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
This exact car. This price. Take it or leave it.

Yup, they take it and then you spend 2 hours with the "business manager" doing the paperwork, where they try and push all types of warranties and extras.

It is AMAZING to me that a sales person will spend an hour telling you how wonderful and perfect a car is; and then two minutes later you have a business manager telling you the car will essentially fall apart as soon as you leave the lot if you don't buy extra coat protector; specific electronic warranties, etc. Such a scam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive