Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2019, 01:27 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,843,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
If people buy Detroit 3 SUVs and CUVs, they will soon realize why they gave up on Detroit sedans. THEY ARE JUNK! Detroit needs to build quality vehicles or sell their junkers for what they're worth. The Yugo was a heap built in Yugoslavia in the Detroit 3 tradition of poor build quality, apathetic construction and cheap parts but they didn't cost an arm and a leg and few people expected more than they got from them. When vehicles crossed the $10,000 threshold, it was too much to pay for substandard vehicles.
You're Outafocus because you're living in the past made clear by the figures you use and that which you choose to capitalize.

Last edited by kokonutty; 05-05-2019 at 01:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2019, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taksan View Post
I’d be driving the new Explorer before I made any comment.... it’s a dynamically better car then ANY current crossover on the market.
Such a declaration would indicate you have driven every competitor; I doubt that's true regardless of the criteria used in making the claim.

Old 05-05-2019, 02:39 AM

30,373 posts, read 19,170,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
We have seen it for the past few years: Ford, Chrysler, GM all dropping the majority of their sedans in favor of crossovers because they cant compete or not selling as much as they want. Which leads to the question, if they cant build a sedan to compete with the foreign automakers, why would you even want to buy their Crossover vehicles, when they are pretty much based of the sedan platforms too? Wont that same issue of being unable to compete just apply to them as well, just at a much higher price?
We have a Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit and it is brilliant and no foreign make can match it. I also drive a Dodge Charger hellcat and no foreign make can compete with it either.

Old 05-05-2019, 03:38 AM

603 posts, read 443,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Such a declaration would indicate you have driven every competitor; I doubt that's true regardless of the criteria used in making the claim.
I’d guess I’ve driven driven every serious competitor with the exception of the upcoming GLS and I’d rate the new Explorer as the best 7 seat mid/large crossover I’ve driven under $100k. It’s the best US built crossover ever and probably the best vehicle Ford has built in decades period. It absolutely slaughters vehicles like a Q7 and it’s dynamically competitive with the new X7 which is a much bigger and more expensive vehicle and it has better ride quality. Now I hate ( and I mean HATE ) crossovers full stop but this one had me thinking just wow.

Old 05-05-2019, 12:28 PM

5,479 posts, read 2,121,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
We have a Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit and it is brilliant and no foreign make can match it. I also drive a Dodge Charger hellcat and no foreign make can compete with it either.
LOL, I have a Charger SP, a 1998 Durango with 272k on it and a 77 club cab longbed 4x4 Powerwagon. All are going as strong as can be. I'll admit Ionly drive the truck when I need something big hauled and the Durango is daily work driver...the Charger is what I prefer to drive when not working....I like sedans...with power! No one else can touch the Charger line up for that.

Old 05-05-2019, 01:51 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
Quote:
I’d guess I’ve driven driven every serious competitor with the exception of the upcoming GLS and I’d rate the new Explorer as the best 7 seat mid/large crossover I’ve driven under $100k. It’s the best US built crossover ever and probably the best vehicle Ford has built in decades period. It absolutely slaughters vehicles like a Q7 and it’s dynamically competitive with the new X7 which is a much bigger and more expensive vehicle and it has better ride quality. Now I hate ( and I mean HATE ) crossovers full stop but this one had me thinking just wow.
I recently sat in a new Explorer at the NY Autoshow and was inside a 17' Q7 driven by a real estate agent. You can't really compare the 2 because they're marketed to 2 different customer.

The Explorer inside looks great, modern, and has ton of features but you can't just compare specs and check boxes. The Q7 has the familiar German interior. Cold and high class. I'm sure the materials inside the Explorer is great but you just can't outright compare the 2. I always feel that I get tired of looking at Explorers because so many police force uses the car and I'm sick of looking at them.

Old 05-05-2019, 03:28 PM

30,373 posts, read 19,170,654 times
To the person that asked whether my Jeep was Grand Cherokee or plain Cherokee, we have the Grand Cherokee and wife feels sorry for her friends in their Lexus RX, BMW X5, Mercedes GLE, etc.

Old 05-05-2019, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Are you one who believes an SUV requires a body on frame? I could never understand that line of thinking; progress happens. What is it about a CUV, regardless of any personal definition, that inspires your hatred?

Old 05-05-2019, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Are you one who believes an SUV requires a body on frame? I could never understand that line of thinking; progress happens. What is it about a CUV, regardless of any personal definition, that inspires your hatred?
Oh no I don’t care about Unibody verses frames unless it’s for towing but I do tend to buy body on frame SUV’s for my own needs as I tow a bit . I just think they are ridiculous, raise the center of gravity of the vehicle unnecessarily and don’t do anything particularly better for a family then a Country Squire did in 1965. I’ve never driven one I liked better then a correspondent Sedan version not one ! Not even a Cullinan, a Cayenne Turbo S. I need a SUV for some things but I tend to buy ones that can seriously tow stuff.

Btw Grand Wagoneers are exempted from all of this as they are awesome works of art but they are serious vehicles in any case.

Old 05-05-2019, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I recently sat in a new Explorer at the NY Autoshow and was inside a 17' Q7 driven by a real estate agent. You can't really compare the 2 because they're marketed to 2 different customer.

The Explorer inside looks great, modern, and has ton of features but you can't just compare specs and check boxes. The Q7 has the familiar German interior. Cold and high class. I'm sure the materials inside the Explorer is great but you just can't outright compare the 2. I always feel that I get tired of looking at Explorers because so many police force uses the car and I'm sick of looking at them.
Yes perhaps but the Lincoln Aviator that’s based on the new Explorer is in that market and it’s VERY VERY GOOD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive