Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2019, 11:53 AM

34,244 posts, read 18,607,948 times

Advertisements

Yes, in theory they should be more reliable. However, if you do have a problem with your Tesla, or ding it, be prepared to be without it several months, as they have a very limited service network, and you just can't take to Joe's Garage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2019, 11:42 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,772,607 times
NEVER buy the first model year of any design. That alone will save you some serious automotive heartache.

Now, apply that same reasoning to the electric car of your choice.

Old 06-01-2019, 07:33 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,252,915 times
just throwing this out here. My daughter had a friend who interned at Tesla and her friend said Elon Musk worked the assembly line along side everybody else.

Although I can't afford a Tesla, my wife took one for a test drive and loved it. She said she would trade in our hyundal elantra and honda accord to buy one and I said, after the trade in, we would still owe atleast $30k on the model 3.

never the less, there is an electric car in my future, but I'll keep my gas burning motorcycle a little bit longer.

Old 06-01-2019, 07:42 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,656,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
Why the eye rolls? I stated facts. Modern laptops and phones don't have thermally managed battery packs, and get drawn down to 0 charge and charged back to 100 on nearly daily cycles. That's hard on batteries, which is why modern EVs don't DO that. Not even Telsas. How long is a laptop battery warrantied for? 1 year? 5 years? 8 years? Modern EV batteries are warranted for 8 years, and other than Leafs, very few battery packs have had to be replaced under warranty for modern EVs. BECAUSE of that management.
I hardly ever run my iPhone battery down to zero charge, about 25% is the lowest it ever gets. The battery still degraded, and I had to replace it myself a few weeks ago.

Old 06-01-2019, 09:42 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,330,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I hardly ever run my iPhone battery down to zero charge, about 25% is the lowest it ever gets. The battery still degraded, and I had to replace it myself a few weeks ago.

A phone battery is not thermally managed with liquid cooling and heating for different temperatures. What part of this is flying over people's heads?

Do you charge to 100% regularly? That's just as bad. BTW, my iPhone battery has long life between charges (I often go 4-6 days between charges) but I charge it to 90% and rarely let it drop below 20%. It's still not thermally managed, however. My EV on the other hand, is 5 years old and shows no sign of degradation and should last another decade with no problems.

Old 06-01-2019, 10:29 AM

4,561 posts, read 3,765,170 times
Can everyone stop talking about the batteries - that's not a worry to most EV buyers. Have a read here:

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/04/16...-500000-miles/

Old 06-02-2019, 09:10 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,928,064 times
The upfront cost of the Tesla is the biggest problem for people. The short winter range would also be a problem for those in cold climates.

Old 06-02-2019, 09:49 PM

1,415 posts, read 1,095,882 times
Not where salt is used on the roads.

Old 06-03-2019, 02:30 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,386,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
The upfront cost of the Tesla is the biggest problem for people. The short winter range would also be a problem for those in cold climates.
A Tesla Model 3 can be purchased for $35K, about $32.5k after delivery and federal rebate, lower in some states with state rebates. The one I would recommend though is Std Range plus at about $37k which would be about $34.5 after delivery and rebate that adds extra range and more std features. Currently (Jan 2019) the average new vehicle is a little over $37k so upfront cost is similar if not lower. The Tesla does not really have that short a short winter range because it has an active battery management system that will warm the battery if needed and has efficient ways to heat cabin. Also depends on how use, once the car and battery are warm, the impact should be minimal.

Almost all vehicles have reduced range in winter, with an ICE it is about 5% so many don't notice, with a hybrid it is about 10-15% because limited battery use, for active managed battery EV it can be 20-30% depending on how heat cabin, with a passive battery EV such as LEAF it can be 50%. But with ability to "fill the tank" at home every night and a range of 220 miles to as much as 325 miles, unless your commute is well over 60 miles each way, it should easily make it even in bitter cold weather in shortest range model.

Old 06-03-2019, 02:53 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,386,421 times
Also the argument about electronics is really a wash, with both types of vehicles heavily dependent on them working to operate the vehicle. Electronic reliability is good on most vehicles and modern engine management systems use as much or more electronics as an EV, I have had both an ICE and hybrid vehicle refuse to start due to electronic issues, so far hasn't happened for any EVs. (The ICE had to be towed 130 miles to get to nearest dealership, happened in Van Horn TX.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive