Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2019, 09:07 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,888,666 times

Advertisements

One more: 2020 Subaru Outback has a CD player (single disc) available as a dealer installed option on most models- accessed through the center console with it being standard on the top trim Touring model. Actually I kind of like that as an option. We’ve got hundreds and sometimes just popping in the exact “album” you want as opposed to transferring all that data to sticks or streaming and hoping you’ll get what you want is just the trick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2019, 05:26 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,870,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Not really. If you want to play your CD in the car you have to put the CD in the CD player. If you want to rip an mp3 of the CD you have to put the CD in the CD drive on your computer. Same effort, but you only need to put the CD in the CD drive on your computer once. You do need a lot of storage but it's not like storage is expensive. Compared with the over $30,000 your 3,000+ CD collection cost you, not really going to cost much of anything as HD prices are down around $25-30 TB nowadays.

Just approach it as an ongoing project. Whenever you go to play a CD you haven't ripped, you have to put it in a CD player. Might as well click a few times and rip it while you're playing it.
Your premise is still wrong and you've taught me nothing nor will you by the looks of it. But persist if you insist, I don't feed trolls. You're on your own from here.

Old 09-22-2019, 09:38 PM

21,830 posts, read 25,109,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repatriot View Post
Your premise is still wrong and you've taught me nothing nor will you by the looks of it. But persist if you insist, I don't feed trolls. You're on your own from here.
True enough. You never said you put them in the CD player in your car. It is easier to just put them in the car. They're your CDs so if tossing them in the backseat or whatever is how you get enjoyment out of them, I'm not here to judge.

Old 09-23-2019, 05:27 AM

8,313 posts, read 3,922,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
Not odd at all. The best listening you can do in a vehicle is with CD's. Any compressed music format does not sound as good. Their luxury multimedia systems have DVD/CD players as well as flash/usb ports.

The 2019 Mercedes GLE still gives you a DVD/CD player, as does the S class. I think they are starting to be dropped on lesser models though, but might still be available as an option. (The latest S class has moved the CD player to the glove box, it's no longer in the dash.)
You are right but you have to realize that few people really care about audio quality any more. People even listen to music on an Alexa speaker or a cell phone. Another option would be a lossless digital format or the equivalent, but those formats are not supported by many cars. Many of them only support MP3.

Old 09-23-2019, 08:54 AM
KCZ

4,663 posts, read 3,659,757 times
Sorry, OP, that people weren't respectful of your request to not go OT into a technology debate.

2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee has an optional CD player in the center console, although I've never seen one on a lot.

Old 09-23-2019, 07:59 PM

21,830 posts, read 25,109,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
You are right but you have to realize that few people really care about audio quality any more. People even listen to music on an Alexa speaker or a cell phone. Another option would be a lossless digital format or the equivalent, but those formats are not supported by many cars. Many of them only support MP3.
Nobody ever really cared about audio quality. It's a car, terrible audio environment. None the less my car, like most cars, supports lossless playback. Pointless especially with a normal factory speaker setup so it can't do quality anyway.

Nothing wrong with cell phones. My good headphones are 600 ohms, so obviously I would need amplification. But then nowadays you can get good headphones that don't need amplification and they do make portable amps. Not really a fan of running around with headphones that cost as much flagship cell phone myself but I suppose for someone that really cares about audio quality that makes much more sense than worrying about lossless playback in their car.

The vast majority treat cellphones as new mp3 players which they treated the same as those old discman players with the horrible headphones. Usually I use mine with some 25 dollar Bluetooth earbuds. They're freaking awful, nearly as bad as the earbuds everyone ran around with on their iPods back when those existed.

Last edited by Malloric; 09-23-2019 at 08:17 PM..

Old 01-18-2020, 08:57 AM

20 posts, read 24,953 times
Default 2015 and 2019 Ford Fusion Titaniums

I agree with everyone here who posted that you get a better sound in a car playing CDs than using MP3, Sirius (terrible sound), or streaming from phone (for me, Pandora). Plus, I have many CDs and it would be tedious to download all of them onto flash drives. Zzzzzz...

My beloved 2015 Ford Fusion Titanium was just totalled by a college student who didn't see a red light. It had a CD player in the SYNC navigation module -- over $1,000 to replace, btw.

The new 2019 Ford Fusion Titanium I'm buying with the insurance money has a 12-speaker Sony sound system with a CD player, or so the dealer reports. I hope I can avoid more college students and retirees (Wilmington NC is the perfect traffic storm) and keep this car for a long time.

And please, no use trolling me by scolding me for using CDs...it is what it is!

Old 01-18-2020, 12:17 PM

47 posts, read 53,845 times
2019 Honda FIT LX has a cd player.

Old 01-18-2020, 01:26 PM

1,348 posts, read 705,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Don’t buy a car solely on the fact it has a CD player.
i would

Old 01-18-2020, 01:28 PM

1,348 posts, read 705,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
You know that some are not happy with the quality of CDs either. What do we do? Put a turntable in the dash? 99% of consumers don't have a problem with MP3.
then 99% are idiots
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive