Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 06:01 AM

62,023 posts, read 87,719,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Interesting! I bet they will be expensive!
Most likely!
Probably $1000+ per tire
https://www.valuetread.com/michelin-...-12-n16-5.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2019, 06:40 AM

4,615 posts, read 3,812,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
Well have to give this one to GM they had airless tires throw up dust on the moon with moon buggy makes a great tire ad IMO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bLH11-DbqM

Yep - the Lunar Rover's "tires" were made out of aluminum, zinc-coated steel and titanium strands because rubber would disintegrate pretty quickly in space.

Old 06-05-2019, 06:40 AM

6,610 posts, read 7,221,570 times
Eventually the supports bridging the tread will give out, causing same blow outs. How long this takes, who knows, but tread will probably be shot before it.

Old 06-05-2019, 07:28 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,404,147 times
Well, this bad idea circles around every few years and dies because it's a bad idea.

The cheapest most reliable spring element in the tires of a vehicle is air. That's why it's the world standard. Ever since Dr. Dunlop figured out how to keep it in the tire.

Think about it: you can spend millions of dollars on R&D and process development to design airless tires that don't perform as well as the ones that contain air, but are way way more complex and expensive, all to save the $0.001 cost of compressing some air and pushing it into a tire.

Not for me, thanks.

Old 06-05-2019, 10:21 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,808,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
They've been showing off airless tires for years.
Nothing ever comes of them because the price and ride quality suck.
We aren't too often on the same side of an issue, but I think you're completely right on this. There is simply no combination of technologies that provides the low cost, performance flexibility and ride comfort of pneumatic tires. And they've tried and tried and tried.

Look at the run-flat tires of a few years ago that people replaced in the first round. One of the major issues with tires is weight, and no solid or semi rigid tire is going to be as light as a pneumatic model.

Big talk, big excitement, big deal.

Old 06-05-2019, 10:49 AM

15,843 posts, read 20,649,065 times
Need to see how practical they are.

Lots of beaches around here allow over-sand driving with a permit. But you need to air down your tires to 5psi or so to avoid getting stuck. Every summer, the place is filled with brand new AWD SUV's/trucks/jeeps/etc from those on vacation.

I wonder how airless tires would handle this

Old 06-05-2019, 10:57 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,808,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I wonder how airless tires would handle this
I suspect that the trial era will never get past relatively skinny, long-mileage, high-mileage light car tires - see any Prius, for example. It's even possible that they might succeed if they bring any advantage to this niche. And maybe commercial tires as well.

But they will simply never replace "performance" tires whether they're Goodyear F1's or Monster Mudders. Or just midsize all-weather SUV tires.

Old 06-05-2019, 12:25 PM

13,726 posts, read 12,519,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
We aren't too often on the same side of an issue, but I think you're completely right on this. There is simply no combination of technologies that provides the low cost, performance flexibility and ride comfort of pneumatic tires. And they've tried and tried and tried.

Look at the run-flat tires of a few years ago that people replaced in the first round. One of the major issues with tires is weight, and no solid or semi rigid tire is going to be as light as a pneumatic model.

Big talk, big excitement, big deal.
the Billion dollar question is, at some point will they have MFG buy in? They did with run flats. At some point they redesign the suspension a bit so you don't suffer with the ride.

Old 06-05-2019, 01:25 PM

4,644 posts, read 4,939,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
the Billion dollar question is, at some point will they have MFG buy in?
Yes. GM announced they are working on it (see post #1)

Old 06-05-2019, 01:48 PM

19,136 posts, read 27,769,271 times
From what I recall, such ideas been bouncing around for quite few years by now... and we are still riding on regular tires. I'd say, don't hold your breath. They will likely be offered as "optional".

Otherwise, militaries use tires that can withstand direct projectile hit for over a century.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive