Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2019, 09:23 PM

531 posts, read 452,489 times

Advertisements

While reading a code with an OBD2 scanner, it occurred to me that there's no reason the car's computer can't display them, and their meaning, on the display screen (the Multi-Information Screen as it's called on my Prius). Surely there's enough processor power and storage. Are there any production cars that provide this information?
And surely all those warning lights are old-school. Why not virtual warnings on the computer screen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2019, 01:57 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,582,950 times
Those codes are for mechanics, not drivers. Most drivers would be clueless if they did show up on the DIC.

Old 07-06-2019, 02:18 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,272,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Ferris View Post
While reading a code with an OBD2 scanner, it occurred to me that there's no reason the car's computer can't display them, and their meaning, on the display screen (the Multi-Information Screen as it's called on my Prius). Surely there's enough processor power and storage. Are there any production cars that provide this information?
And surely all those warning lights are old-school. Why not virtual warnings on the computer screen?
It's technically possible, not really hard at all. Thing is what's the benefit?

Suppose you see a P0526 Fan Speed Sensor Circuit, do you know what the issue is, and whether you need to stop, get towed, or its benign?

Warning lights might be old school, but they're known as idiot lights for a reason, a red engine or oil can light means what? Stop immediately, right? the brake warning light means you have a brake issue, stop when safe. Amber ABS light, there's an ABS issue fix at first opportunity, etc.

Often there are also more detailed information on the MFD, you see a light, pull over, you open vehicle status and you'll see the issue logged and recommended actions, or if you have the subscription service you might get a call from the monitoring center.

Old 07-06-2019, 04:57 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,032,070 times
Quote:
While reading a code with an OBD2 scanner, it occurred to me that there's no reason the car's computer can't display them, and their meaning, on the display screen (the Multi-Information Screen as it's called on my Prius).

Because it would make it too easy for you to fix. Same reason they don't use standard communication port like USB. Undoubtedly that plug is patented and probably controlled by an association of automakers.

I believe there is law in place that will require all auto manufatueres to provide USB connection in the very near future, you should be able to just plug any phone or laptop into it. As long as you have the software you'll be able to get the information.

Quote:

I would think that would be a bad idea, for starters failure of the screen results in loss of all diagnostics.

Old 07-06-2019, 08:28 AM

17,573 posts, read 15,237,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Because it would make it too easy for you to fix. Same reason they don't use standard communication port like USB. Undoubtedly that plug is patented and probably controlled by an association of automakers.

I believe there is law in place that will require all auto manufatueres to provide USB connection in the very near future, you should be able to just plug any phone or laptop into it. As long as you have the software you'll be able to get the information.

I would think that would be a bad idea, for starters failure of the screen results in loss of all diagnostics.

Nothing to say you couldn't have both. I agree with OP.. There should be a way to access the codes, at a minimum, from a display in the vehicle.

While it is correct that 90% of people would have no idea what to do with the info, and the fact that the price of a code scanner has come down significantly and you can basically get one for $20 or have the codes read for free at Autozone or whatever.. Just displaying it as part of the info system would be very handy.

The number of times I don't have my scanner with me and someone asks me why they have a light on.. Would save me a ton of time and explanation. In general, anything important is going to throw a message to the driver (ie Low Oil Pressure) I'd still like to immediately know why that light turned on if it came on while I was driving down the road.

Remember way back in the day with OBD1 where the light would flash the code?

Old 07-06-2019, 09:01 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,766,671 times
With industrial and agricultural equipment, it's the norm for any active error codes to be shown on the display. I'm talking tractors, combines, wheel loaders, excavators, etc. That's been the case for a couple decades. And depending on the specific equipment in question, it's not uncommon for some diagnostic functions to be built into the display (such as being able to see switch inputs/outputs, sensor voltages, calibration values, etc.

So there's no technical hurdle to this. It's been done every day for decades in non-automotive applications.

But auto makers have no inventive to provide this info. They don't WANT customers working on their own vehicles. 95% of consumers wouldn't be able to use the information anyway. And even if they could... this is mostly relevant to the kind of people who buy used cars. Auto makers aren't interested in those people.

Old 07-06-2019, 09:40 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,513,828 times
One cool thing about Didge was there is a sequence you can do and it would display the trouble code on the odometer. Not sure if they still have that option

Old 07-06-2019, 10:13 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,754,936 times
Both a ca 2000 Dodge and both of my 2005 Volvos would display a trouble message, a rotating series of them, if you called them up in the small info window. Not the codes, but a short text message.

Old 07-06-2019, 10:25 AM

9,875 posts, read 7,202,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post

The connector and codes were developed by the Society of Automotive Engineers back in the mid 1990's to create a STANDRD for all manufacturers to follow. The OBD II system is an entire standard recognized by everyone in the industry. You may not consider it one but millions of people, shops, techs, et al use it everyday.

Old 07-06-2019, 10:27 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,637,474 times
You can buy a little cheapie adapter that plugs into your OBD2 port and lets you see all kinds of information on an app on your phone. I use a Foseal Wi Fi Interface with the OBD Fusion App on my iPhone.

Edit: just reread and noticed since you have a scanner that you’re purely asking about in car displays. I imagine, for the very few people that want it, they figure the extra wiring to have it permanently wired into the car’s display, the software to display it and the still required extra wiring connector for service and emissions checks, is just more money than it’s worth.
Quote:

Last edited by LesLucid; 07-06-2019 at 11:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive