Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2019, 04:37 PM

93 posts, read 146,869 times

Advertisements

Someone backed into my car today, I was parked and walking to my car as he was backing out of his parking spot and didn't see my car. The front of the bumper is scraped and smushed a little. It looks like the bumper under the light was pushed down a little but the side next to the light was already lifting before he hit it so idk if under the light is a result of that or him hitting it.

His car is brand new, only had it for a few days, and while he gave me his insurance info he asked if he could just pay for the damage and keep it out of the insurance. I don't even know if I got everything I needed, it was raining and the camp kids were all coming out so I was a little frazzled.

I don't care too much about the cosmetic damage but I am worried there could be something underneath that got messed up. Is there something I should look for? If I take it to the garage can they check for something that happened in the accident or will they say xyz is wrong but we don't know from when? Just not sure what is reasonable to expect or ask for right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2019, 05:20 PM

2,486 posts, read 1,421,537 times
Have it inspected for any damage and give the bill to the guy that hit your car. If you have any issue with him you should immediately contact his insurance company with your written estimate . Easy to do

Old 07-11-2019, 05:46 PM

19,039 posts, read 27,620,833 times
Do NOT go cash pay route. Simply don't. That's nothing but trouble. His premium MAY go up 20-30 bucks but getting money out of him will cost you much more in nervous energy.
You have insurance. He has insurance. That is what insurance is for. Collect some witnesses and file with your and his insurance right away. Call the guy - I am presuming, you have phone number - and politely state that you decided to go through insurance. Do NOT go into any explanations why. Just say Sorry, I understand, but that's what I prefer to do. Do NOT get into any extensive conversations with the other driver.
Have vehicle inspected and let insurance handle it. Bumper covers are harboring all kinds of devices in modern cars.

If you do not care about looks, collect check for repair and enjoy money.
But do NOT go cash route.

Old 07-11-2019, 07:25 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,427,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Do NOT go cash pay route. Simply don't. That's nothing but trouble. His premium MAY go up 20-30 bucks but getting money out of him will cost you much more in nervous energy.
You have insurance. He has insurance. That is what insurance is for. Collect some witnesses and file with your and his insurance right away. Call the guy - I am presuming, you have phone number - and politely state that you decided to go through insurance. Do NOT go into any explanations why. Just say Sorry, I understand, but that's what I prefer to do. Do NOT get into any extensive conversations with the other driver.
Have vehicle inspected and let insurance handle it. Bumper covers are harboring all kinds of devices in modern cars.

If you do not care about looks, collect check for repair and enjoy money.
But do NOT go cash route.
They can’t tell how bad the damage is until they get in there and start taking it apart, even the insurance adjuster can’t tell if there damage to the unibody or any other parts that they can’t see from the outside.

Old 07-12-2019, 08:16 AM

93 posts, read 146,869 times
Thank you. Im leaning towards going the insurance route just so it is out of my hands, I don't feel like dealing with the hassle. Its just that my car is older and needs some under the hood work more than it needs a new bumper. I was thinking maybe I could just take the money and get some of the necessary things fixed instead. This way Im not having to deal with the hassle of garage time for cosmetic work. The bumper doesn't matter if the car ends up not running! But then Im worried there is other damage that can't be seen and I will have even more to fix than before.

Old 07-12-2019, 09:15 AM

1,062 posts, read 982,111 times
Call your insurance company and report this, and they will have you get the car inspected by a body shop and then get the money from his insurance

Old 07-12-2019, 11:25 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,260,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pookybean View Post
His car is brand new, only had it for a few days, and while he gave me his insurance info he asked if he could just pay for the damage and keep it out of the insurance
Absolutely not.

Old 07-12-2019, 06:20 PM

22,663 posts, read 24,614,838 times
You can take measurements off a fixed center-point and 2 components on the left and right.........they should be very close in distance. Such as the frame crossmember and 2 similar suspension components on each side of the car.

You can also do diagonal measurements from left to right and front to rear....there should be little variation with each set of measurements you take.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive