Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 04:27 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,785,571 times

Advertisements

It is an insult. In fact anytime they resurrect an old car name and put it on a new car it is an insult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 04:55 PM

24,513 posts, read 33,325,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
Yep, I hear you, but how temperamental was that car? 450 hp? You had the solid lifter LS6, 11:1 c.r. what octane fuel did you have to run? 110? And what did it get....6 mpg?
That was part of their charm... almost too much power for the street, rough idle, loud intake roar, etc.
110 octane isn't necessary... 100-102 was enough. Road tests showed a 454 Chevelle averaging about 10 mpg, oddly about the same as the biggest of the trucks and SUVs.

Quote:
No offense I love old Chevelles, you are right they were bad ass, but you do have to give the new muscle credit too, they have come a long ways since then.
The new ones just don't have the same feel as the old ones. They have the power/handling/braking, but they just feel "generic."
The news also don't have all of the real steel and chrome that the old ones have.

Old 04-24-2008, 08:48 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,770,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
The new ones just don't have the same feel as the old ones. They have the power/handling/braking, but they just feel "generic."
The news also don't have all of the real steel and chrome that the old ones have.
thats true, but i thought the new mustang redesign was one of the best modern muscle designs in a long time.

and honestly i thought the 350z was a nice design that had lines reminiscent of the 240/280z but in a totally modern way. nice for a relatively inexpensive sports car

Old 04-26-2008, 08:40 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,145,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
I still think that dodge is an insult to the Charger name. It's a 4-door, and an ugly one to boot. Let's hope the new Challenger is true to its name.
The '2 door or no door' Chevrolet guys said that same thing about the 1994-96 Impala SS 4 door sedan with its 15 second 1/4 mile performance when stock-------and, they start buying the damn thing in droves.

As for the Charger: a SRT-8 will run door handle to door handle to a stock 1969 Hemi Charger-----and, the modern car will destroy the oldster in top speed.

Where I am from: When the green flag drops, the bulls**t stops. That was from a Shelby ad ca. 1984.

One huge reason we no longer see 2 door cars new is there was very little demand for 'em back in the 1980's-90's hence them being dropped along with big station wagons, leaving only the 4 door sedans.

Old 04-26-2008, 09:01 AM

2,636 posts, read 6,651,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Snapped this on the ride in this morning. Kinda neat to see 2 different renditions of the muscle car. The old Camaro was done up in my dreaded "Year-One" style, the Charger was a stock SRT-8 (425 hp). Wouldve loved to see them race, but traffic was too heavy and with a 30mph speed limit, they wouldnt have gotten far anyways.

What do you prefer?
Steven I do hope you weren't taking that photograph while operating your vehicle. That wouldn't go down well with the local police force you know.

Lol, seriously nice pic. I actually quite like both cars but if I had to choose I'd go with the Charger because I love the new styling. Also, I can't take Chevy seriously as a muscle car manufacturer any more since they took over Daewoo and started producing loads of stupid looking compacts for the European market. Eeeeeew.

Old 04-26-2008, 10:51 AM

3,533 posts, read 12,307,324 times
Smile old vs. new

Just like the hemi in the new dodge cars and trucks is a joke, compaired to the 70 's version. lacking horse power big time. nothing made now could even compair to the old days. when they knew how to build' em. now everything is smogged to death and can't even breath. old days rule and new days drewal

Old 04-26-2008, 11:47 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,006,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFRRACING View Post
Just like the hemi in the new dodge cars and trucks is a joke, compaired to the 70 's version. lacking horse power big time. nothing made now could even compair to the old days. when they knew how to build' em. now everything is smogged to death and can't even breath. old days rule and new days drewal
Don't blame the big three, blame the government, I'm quite sure if Dodge could build the new ones the way they built the old ones there would be quite a few buyers, but they're not good for the environment so we're told, so they get tuned down and smog controlled to death.

Old 04-26-2008, 03:01 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,224,262 times
Quote:
I bet if you did a gross power rating of the new Hemi the same way the old muscle cars were rated (as opposed to the net power ratings of today), you'd get a number somewhere between 500 and 550 horsepower. Today's hemi cars can run toe-to-toe with the old ones at the drag strip despite being substantially heavier and having much taller gearing. And like AZBear says, the new cars will absolutey murder the old ones in top speed thanks in part to that taller gearing. Oh, and they will brake and handle 10 times better and get about double the fuel economy too.

EDIT: I should clarifiy that the preceding paragraph refers to the 6.1L, not the 5.7L.

Last edited by Drover; 04-26-2008 at 04:36 PM..

Old 04-26-2008, 03:55 PM

3,533 posts, read 12,307,324 times
Yeah, and the value drops 20 % driving off the lot. mean while the old school cars are going up in value. no matter how you cut it new will never fill the foot print of old school. like new charger vs. old charger, new charger looks like your grandma's car. old school looks bad ass. just like the new gto looks like an abortion from japan. this new crap isn't real muscle , it's just 30 years worth of technology. it's far from being better. you don't see yenko label on any new clunker coming out. besides now when you open the hood all you see are a bunch of plastic covers, that's impresive. wow!!!! they stopped making anything bad ass years ago.

Old 04-26-2008, 04:12 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,006,305 times
Quote:
Yeah, and the value drops 20 % driving off the lot. mean while the old school cars are going up in value. no matter how you cut it new will never fill the foot print of old school. like new charger vs. old charger, new charger looks like your grandma's car. old school looks bad ass. just like the new gto looks like an abortion from japan. this new crap isn't real muscle , it's just 30 years worth of technology. it's far from being better. you don't see yenko label on any new clunker coming out. besides now when you open the hood all you see are a bunch of plastic covers, that's impresive. wow!!!! they stopped making anything bad ass years ago.
I'll agree to a point, I much prefer old school to todays stuff, but todays cars are what they are, design and technology changes, nothing we can do but find something we like or go into hock for classic muscle. But the new Charger is, I think, one of the best looking sedans on the road, and definetly does not have the grandma car look!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive