Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2019, 12:14 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,977,958 times

Advertisements

If you have several vehicles, and they all need fuel at the same time, be careful about patronizing your favorite fuel stop too often.
I filled two vehicles yesterday, then stopped this morning to fill another one. The pump denied my card, told me to see the cashier. He said I had too much card activity, so I left. Went to breakfast, paid with that same card. No problem. Ran some errands, then, on the way home, stopped at a fuel stop across the street from where the card was rejected. Filled up, same card, no problem.
It is obviously not a bank issue, it is the card processing company. They thought they were doing me a favor, I suppose, but it was annoying, and they cost their station customer a 10 gallon fillup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2019, 12:27 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,423,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
If you have several vehicles, and they all need fuel at the same time, be careful about patronizing your favorite fuel stop too often.
I filled two vehicles yesterday, then stopped this morning to fill another one. The pump denied my card, told me to see the cashier. He said I had too much card activity, so I left. Went to breakfast, paid with that same card. No problem. Ran some errands, then, on the way home, stopped at a fuel stop across the street from where the card was rejected. Filled up, same card, no problem.
It is obviously not a bank issue, it is the card processing company. They thought they were doing me a favor, I suppose, but it was annoying, and they cost their station customer a 10 gallon fillup.
The credit card company thinks it’s a stolen card that’s why the did it, happened to me with discovery i was moving from Florida so i had 3 including the truck i rented. Filled up truck with diesel and one car, tried the other vehicle credit card company rejected it, had to call and explain what i was doing and they allowed me to fill the last vehicle.it protects you. If they don’t here anything from you than it takes 24 hours for you to use the card again because you didn’t report it lost or stolen.

Old 07-29-2019, 12:56 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
That's protecting you, unfortunately it's not very efficient.There is an easy solution, however. I have 3 debit cards, just use a different one if I have to gas up 3 times in one day which did happen when we had 3 or 4 cars. It could also happen on a long road trip, though now my truck has a 36 gallon tank so I can go 700 miles on a tank, and that's about my limit for one day.

Old 07-29-2019, 01:41 PM

949 posts, read 572,981 times
I have had cards stopped while on vacation. Lesson learned - Call the company and tell them them you are travelling.
I recently got a zero interest card and have been using it regularly and thought it might get denied for excessive activity, but nothing happened yet.

Old 07-29-2019, 04:00 PM

2,462 posts, read 2,480,403 times
[quote=Snowpacked;55794172]I have had cards stopped while on vacation. Lesson learned - Call the company and tell them them you are travelling.

Exactly. When you get your monthly bill there's even fine print telling you do this.

Old 07-29-2019, 04:10 PM

5,458 posts, read 6,052,691 times
There is a particular Exxon near me that will not let you use the same CC for gas in a 24 hour period.

Never had the issue with any other station, just this particular Exxon.

Old 07-29-2019, 07:21 PM

19,041 posts, read 27,607,234 times
I just lost my wallet.
the only reason I found about it was because my bank sent me warning emails about suspicious activities on my credit and debit cards. I caught it "in progress" with over $100 at Arco, $1400 Nordstrom and $1500 Macy's. As I also had biz card in that wallet.
Bank let one debit transaction through, then locked card. I already have 2 transactions credited back. they will also credit back cc ones.
So whatever is the inconvenience, I am VERY grateful that my bank did what it did. Also, now THEY will investigate those purchases. Got to be pretty stupid to go to major retailer, with cameras everywhere, easy to spot you on security footage.

But anyhow. Thank you, bank!

Old 07-29-2019, 08:46 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,590,182 times
I had the same problem when we convoyed two vehicles from Alaska to Arizona. Every time we stopped for gas, we gassed up both vehicles. Even though we let our CC provider know we were traveling, they still shut the card down halfway through our journey.

Old 07-29-2019, 08:57 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,674,058 times
Exclamation Never, ever use a debit card at a gas station -- skimmer central!

I've had the same thing happen when I need to fill both the tank on the truck (gasoline) and also load up on diesel. After the first time, I learned my lesson and use a different card for the second pump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
That's protecting you, unfortunately it's not very efficient.There is an easy solution, however. I have 3 debit cards, just use a different one if I have to gas up 3 times in one day which did happen when we had 3 or 4 cars. It could also happen on a long road trip, though now my truck has a 36 gallon tank so I can go 700 miles on a tank, and that's about my limit for one day.
I never use a debit card at a gas station -- skimmer central.

Old 07-30-2019, 07:37 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,539,449 times
I found this out one day when trying to get gas at the same time as my wife. I was in one city and she was in another. We were using the same card. I kept getting denied and found out we were trying to pump at the exact same time. Hers went through first and mine wouldn't. I tried another station and no luck. Had to wait a few hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive