Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2019, 11:37 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,651,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
I'm all over a 1.7% loan (I have a sky high credit score as well).
A 2013 car is not necessarily "cheap". Some 2013 luxury cars can be $20K or much more.

Or maybe you got a very low monthly payment.
Good for you... put it on autopay, forget about it and enjoy your new (to you) car.
It was a Honda CRV with low miles, (paid $11K), plus, I have bought nearly all my cars using the same Credit union, been a member since I was 18 yrs old.

I think this made the difference ,that I had been a life long member, while my credit score did help lock in a low rate, I think even if my credit was bad, they would have approved the loan, just at a higher rate or required a Cosigner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2019, 12:56 AM

23,404 posts, read 19,031,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcHydro View Post
Its sad some of the things you really need to know in life, aren't taught in school.
Or, by their parents. But that isn't always possible. Many "parents" don't have any common sense to hand down either.

Last edited by Parnassia; 08-18-2019 at 01:39 AM..

Old 08-18-2019, 05:44 AM

1,073 posts, read 792,134 times
Default Saving for even more vacations. It's all about paying attention to detail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Suze Orman’s advice is great for dumb people who need to have their hand’s held when making financial choices. Her own choices are pretty questionable. She really dated a guy in 1987 and bought a BMW to show how bad of investment it was?

Sure we all should be riding a $100 bike to work and living in a tent to save money in retirement. But live a little. I hate to see her financial advice on taking a vacation. 100% depreciation immediately!

Saving for even more vacations. It's all about paying attention to detail. Insurance cost comparisons, Vehicle MSRP comparisons, Here is a place to start comparing MSRP and insurance costs.

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/insu...surance-rates/

Look it up, do the math, double and triple check with multiple sources. Then put your figures into the comparison calculator in the link below.

https://calculator.me/vehicle/ownership-cost.php

Car purchases should be well thought out. Fuel mileage, insurance costs, loan interest. and cost of ongoing maintenance should all be checked and rechecked.

New car, used car, keeping your existing car all have financial consequences and only you can make a good decision concerning your needs.

An objective car buying decision making process can result in a large portion of your rent or mortgage being paid as a reward of good decision making.

Or you car use the additional savings to pay off existing debt, go on a vacation, or invest or an IRA.

Old 08-18-2019, 05:49 AM

34,262 posts, read 18,641,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
Last financed a car in 1987. Paid for is beautiful.

My choice is clean, low mileage, late model, that I can afford to buy for cash.
^^^^^This. The only time I bought new, is when I knew I would keep the car long term, and that is well over ten years. A three year old car with 30K - 35K miles is the sweet spot for many used vehicles.

Old 08-18-2019, 06:35 AM

7,658 posts, read 4,630,985 times
What was your favorite car in 2015? Buy it in the next recession

Old 08-18-2019, 06:39 AM

110 posts, read 77,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Has she made a lot of people rich?

She is a motivational speaker, a seller to be honest. She makes people think about their lives and finances. She helps them get off the dime to starting saving and being more responsible with their finances. But the bottom line she is a seller who made a fortune off her fans.

Old 08-18-2019, 06:51 AM

949 posts, read 574,991 times
There are vehicles that hold value. Find those, get a great rate and have a great ride for many years. Most people are too lazy to know how to buy a used car, so those people are making a risky decision.

Old 08-18-2019, 07:36 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,974,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corolla5speed View Post
Saving for even more vacations. It's all about paying attention to detail. Insurance cost comparisons, Vehicle MSRP comparisons, Here is a place to start comparing MSRP and insurance costs.

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/insu...surance-rates/

Look it up, do the math, double and triple check with multiple sources. Then put your figures into the comparison calculator in the link below.

https://calculator.me/vehicle/ownership-cost.php

Car purchases should be well thought out. Fuel mileage, insurance costs, loan interest. and cost of ongoing maintenance should all be checked and rechecked.

New car, used car, keeping your existing car all have financial consequences and only you can make a good decision concerning your needs.

An objective car buying decision making process can result in a large portion of your rent or mortgage being paid as a reward of good decision making.

Or you car use the additional savings to pay off existing debt, go on a vacation, or invest or an IRA.
Pretty cool sources of information, but doesn’t everybody do this anyway?

Old 08-18-2019, 07:59 AM

12,882 posts, read 9,115,192 times
I stopped listening to Suze Orman and Dave Ramsey years ago. Always hated it when PBS money begging season came around, and sure enough, there was Suze, plying her trade. Following their "advice" generally cost me money in the long term. Remember, they really aren't "helping." They are hawking their products, books, seminars, etc.

Old 08-18-2019, 08:16 AM

34,131 posts, read 83,135,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corolla5speed View Post
According to Suze Orman, lots car buyers are being downright dumb.
This has been so long before Suze explored the notion.

#1) gearhead thinking about choices (and now the anti-gearhead too).
#2) financing. Pretty much at all if you can't deduct the expenses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive