Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2019, 08:28 AM

513 posts, read 529,824 times

Advertisements

How do I use OBD Adopter + OBD reader Apps helps to detect issues in used cars buying?
================================================== =============================

Thanks for your replies to my thread. I am not a auto mechanic.

I did find many pieces talked about OBD Adopter + OBD reader Apps to detect hidden issues in the car.

How far this can go?

What are the limitations between these apps and traditional OBD reader?

Will it help for Hybrid and non-hybrid vehicles (imported Toyota Camry, Prius) ?

What are the issues these OBD reader cannot detect ?

What are the potential OBD reader/apps to consider ?

Will excessive oil consumption/Oil Burning shows up in OBD trouble codes?

Thanks for sharing.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2019, 08:52 AM

17,612 posts, read 15,305,962 times
ODB reader is only going to help, and this is my opinion, in one place..

It will tell you if someone has unplugged the battery or cleared the codes recently, because the monitors won't have run. So, if you see the monitors haven't run.. Questions arise.

Outside of that.. Anything out of spec is going to light the SES/MIL.

I suppose, yes, the reader helps if someone has removed the bulb from the SES light.

But no.. It's not going to show oil consumption unless it's consumed enough oil to throw a low pressure code.

Things like that is where you still take it to a trusted mechanic and have him look it over.

I haven't used any of the apps.. But I wouldn't overly trust them to report that a problem is near. Each manufacturer has their own ranges for things to set a code.. Just because something is on the edge, doesn't mean it's bad. I could see an app anaylzing the O2 sensors and the like to ID a few problems, but.. What if you have an O2 sensor that isn't all that accurate, but is still within spec?

Old 08-28-2019, 09:08 AM

949 posts, read 573,999 times
It will be able to verify oil and coolant temps. Verify that systems are within ranges too.

Old 08-28-2019, 09:08 AM

2,486 posts, read 1,423,857 times
OBD11 codes show which section of the emissions system is out of range and causing the CEL to come on.If often takes an experienced mechanic to diagnose the exact problem but getting the code is the first step.

Old 08-28-2019, 09:17 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,582,378 times
The reader will tell you if the system sensors are not ready because the computer was reset. If that’s the case basically the car has issues and the seller is trying to bs you.

A lot of these readers will give you readings on fluids pressures and temperatures.

THE ABSOLUTE BEST way to have a car checked is take it to a dealer or mechanic and ask for a pre purchase inspection. ESPECIALLY if you don’t know anything about cars.
There is a lot of stuff that you simply can’t see unless the car in on a rack in the air. There are a lot of people who are scammers and will not blink a eye lying about the condition of the car.

If the person won’t let you have it inspected....turn around and walk away. I don’t care how great a price or how good they talk. Walk. There are thousands of good cars out there. You don’t wanna be the one back on here with the sob story and a thread titled I bought a bad car what do I do.

Old 08-28-2019, 09:49 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,734,315 times
Whenever I buy used cars I use my ODB adapter to check for readiness. If a seller wants to avoid someone checking for problems they usually erase the codes to prevent any CEL. The adapter can tell if someone did that and I would walk away unless they can prove to me the readiness is good without any CEL.

Old 08-28-2019, 10:00 AM

34,109 posts, read 83,054,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GNCamry99 View Post
How do I use OBD...
You don't.
Any seller who would let you will have cleared it already.

START with finding (having) a competent mechanic you have reason to trust.
Take the used car to them to check these issues beyond the State Safety Inspection
that the seller is obliged to have done in Maryland.

Old 08-28-2019, 10:45 AM

19,068 posts, read 27,648,953 times
App, like Torque or Dr Prius, will allow to scope hybrid battery for cells state of charge and THAT is something that has to be checked right away. Also, it can't be hidden.
Torque allows very deep scan of pretty much all systems, per sensors available on the car.
Also, it will scan for current codes and stored codes.
It will tell you pretty much any information about vehicle running, as many new vehicles do not even have oil or temp gauges.
NOTHING but a good eye and experience will tell you, if car was in accident and fixed or, there are mechanical issues in suspension or places else. OBD2 is good only for electronics stuff. Hands, LONG prybar and car lift do the rest.
To scope even deeper, into vehicles blocks, you need professional grade software that will allow to do so and that is domane of well equipped mechanics or, people that professionally inspect cars pre purchase. Then you cna determine if mileage was undone, accidents data stored, etc.

Old 08-28-2019, 10:51 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,734,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
App, like Torque or Dr Prius, will allow to scope hybrid battery for cells state of charge and THAT is something that has to be checked right away. Also, it can't be hidden.
Torque allows very deep scan of pretty much all systems, per sensors available on the car.
Also, it will scan for current codes and stored codes.
It will tell you pretty much any information about vehicle running, as many new vehicles do not even have oil or temp gauges.
NOTHING but a good eye and experience will tell you, if car was in accident and fixed or, there are mechanical issues in suspension or places else. OBD2 is good only for electronics stuff. Hands, LONG prybar and car lift do the rest.
To scope even deeper, into vehicles blocks, you need professional grade software that will allow to do so and that is domane of well equipped mechanics or, people that professionally inspect cars pre purchase. Then you cna determine if mileage was undone, accidents data stored, etc.
If it's a European car you have to buy mfg specific ODB2 reader as they will include mfg specific sensors that regular ODB2 can't read. That's why having VWs, BMWs, and Mercs cost a lot of money to diagnose. You'll need their $5000 reader to really troubleshoot.

Old 08-28-2019, 11:38 AM

19,068 posts, read 27,648,953 times
That's basically what I said. Torque still scans - basically - imports. It's getting into the real guts of them that needs fancy scanners, software and more importantly - KNOW HOW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive