Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2019, 11:52 AM

3,562 posts, read 6,579,812 times

Advertisements

When I pump the gas, I often have to move the pump handle into different positions or push it in really hard.

Just now it wouldn't work at all no matter what, I had to ask the attendant to help and it worked. She said to push it in hard. I later used a different place and I had to move or wiggle the pump in different angles or it wouldn't work.

I guess there's a sensor or tube in the pump handle that makes it think the tank is full? Would it help to shake the handle?

What would it mean if it only works in certain positions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2019, 12:09 PM

4,976 posts, read 3,400,941 times
My 2019 RAM pickup has done this the last two fill ups. Different locations, neither having been a problem in the past. Both times I was close to empty, and both times I had to stop and start s l o w l y several times until I got a couple gallons in... and then it was okay. I'm going back to one of those same pumps in couple days when I'm still well over 1/2 full and see if being empty might be a factor.

Old 11-02-2019, 12:21 PM

23,532 posts, read 19,266,539 times
Help us help you...a few details such as make, model, and age car you're talking about might make a difference.

Because it happens at different stations, something is wrong inside the filler neck. Who knows what. Take it to a mechanic who can use a scope to look down into it. There are structures in the filler neck that prevent incorrect pump nozzles being stuck into them and also to prevent gas fumes from leaking out into the air as you fill the tank. Something inside the filler neck on this car is either loose or damaged.

Old 11-02-2019, 05:51 PM

120 posts, read 106,344 times
Do you have a check engine light? Could have a emission problem like the vapor canister. In the past when filling your tank after it clicked off did you try putting more gas in it? If so the canister could be your problem.

Old 11-03-2019, 01:42 AM

62,099 posts, read 87,867,897 times
Apparently common issue on capless gas tanks.
I think this problem was discussed here:
https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...-into-gas-tank
https://www.cadillacforums.com/threa...-pump.1082312/
https://www.dodgedurango.net/threads...as-tank.73132/

Old 11-03-2019, 04:10 AM

30,707 posts, read 80,071,161 times
There is a pressure relief tube for the gas tank. As gas goes in (or expands with heat) the air is pushed out through the tube. The tube has a filter on it to avoid air pollution from thee fumes. The filter gets plugged up and creates back-pressure which makes the pump nozzle read the tank as full. Replace or remove the filter.

Old 11-03-2019, 06:13 AM

21,987 posts, read 25,343,578 times
Try grabbing the rubber fume guard on the nozzle and pulling it back. It might not be getting pushed back far enough for the pump to turn on. Happened all the time on my last car, PITA.

Old 11-03-2019, 12:25 PM

3,562 posts, read 6,579,812 times
I went to a third gas station and it worked fine. I even moved around different angles and it worked every time.

The first two stations are stations that are not maintained really well in general. I think age or poor maintenance can cause the pumps to keep turning off.

I looked into the pump handle and there was a metal cylindrical thing inside the big tube. That thing had no hole, it was just a metal cylinder. Don't know what it was.

Old 11-03-2019, 01:07 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,462,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
When I pump the gas, I often have to move the pump handle into different positions or push it in really hard.

Just now it wouldn't work at all no matter what, I had to ask the attendant to help and it worked. She said to push it in hard. I later used a different place and I had to move or wiggle the pump in different angles or it wouldn't work.

I guess there's a sensor or tube in the pump handle that makes it think the tank is full? Would it help to shake the handle?

What would it mean if it only works in certain positions?
Do you live in CA by chance? Do these have the vacuum recovery boot over the nozzle? I've had issues with old or dirty boots keeping a good vacuum seal.

Certain pumps (and only certain pumps) in other states (sans boot) give me such hassle. Issue is not present at other pumps at the same station, but issue is reproducible visiting same pump again.

Old 11-03-2019, 05:29 PM

62,099 posts, read 87,867,897 times
Can you tell us what part of the gas nozzle is creating your trouble, OP?

https://www.husky.com/husky/vapor-recovery/husky-v3/
https://www.husky.com/husky/vapor-re...vacuum-assist/

Is it the plastic cover?
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/resi...ZCGDLWTWGRAUNQ

I don't understand, because I didn't encounter such a problem, yet...

It seems that you are talking about two problems:
1. The nozzle is hard to insert into your gas tank
2. The nozzle isn't working/turning off
So, which is it?

What car model are you driving?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive