Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2019, 11:50 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,574,845 times

Advertisements

MotorTrend publisher TEN Publishing is canceling 19 automotive magazine titles at the end of this year. Folio first reported that MotorTrend Group president and General Manager Alex Wellen sent a memo to staffers on Friday announcing the decision.

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/motortr...tive-magazines
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2019, 12:11 AM

3,154 posts, read 2,064,837 times
At one time, I had subscriptions to Cycle, Cycle World, Motorcyclist, Sport Rider, Popular Mechanics, Rider, Automobile, Motor Trend, and others I can't think of off the top of my head. I especially loved reading Kevin Cameron and Gordon Jennings for their technical insights, and John Burns whenever I needed to see the lighter side of things.

But that was years ago, I read as much as I want these days online. For which I pay a hefty monthly internet provider fee, plus watch way more ads than I would like, for the privilege. Different format, similar way of paying for it (advertising). But seeing those glossy covers as a kid got me interested in cars and bikes to begin with, makes me wonder if their absence isn't partially responsible for young people losing their interest in motorsports today. Cook, Schilling, Ienetsch, et al were part of my life for a long, long, time.

Old 12-10-2019, 05:17 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,411,027 times
Just like other publications it’s because of the internet, why subscribe and pay for something when you can read about it on the internet for free. Newspapers have really felt the effects of the internet. Just like brick and mortar stores closing because of online shopping and Amazon.

Old 12-10-2019, 06:07 AM

9,368 posts, read 6,967,418 times
I watch about 10-15 youtube channels to get my auto information... Far far far more informative than MT/C&D/R&T ever were.

SavageGeese
TheStraightPipes
SpeedAcademy
ThrottleHouse
Carwow
TheSmokingTire
JayLenosGarage
Carfection
Petrolicious
MattMaran
AlexOnAutos
RedlineReviews
EngineeringExplained
TheFastLane
ConsumerReports
MotorWeek
GearsandGasoline

Avoid:

DougDemuro
ScottKilmer
SupercarBlondie
Stradman
VehicleVirgins
Shmee
TopGear
Donut

Last edited by SWFL_Native; 12-10-2019 at 06:33 AM..

Old 12-10-2019, 08:59 AM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
At one time, I had subscriptions to Cycle, Cycle World, Motorcyclist, Sport Rider, Popular Mechanics, Rider, Automobile, Motor Trend, and others I can't think of off the top of my head. I especially loved reading Kevin Cameron and Gordon Jennings for their technical insights, and John Burns whenever I needed to see the lighter side of things.

But that was years ago, I read as much as I want these days online. For which I pay a hefty monthly internet provider fee, plus watch way more ads than I would like, for the privilege. Different format, similar way of paying for it (advertising). But seeing those glossy covers as a kid got me interested in cars and bikes to begin with, makes me wonder if their absence isn't partially responsible for young people losing their interest in motorsports today. Cook, Schilling, Ienetsch, et al were part of my life for a long, long, time.

Me too! They were both top notch! And I'd add Peter Egan to the list of good guys.

Old 12-10-2019, 09:11 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,979,534 times
Car Life magazine.

Those were the days.

LINK

Old 12-10-2019, 10:07 AM

6,414 posts, read 3,128,516 times
Something I don't understand.....I'm sure that the publisher didn't come to their decision within the last few months. HOWEVER, they have continued to sell "subscriptions" to these magazines, and even continue to do so, as I just received the latest issue of 'Hot Rod' magazine, and it contained a "subscription card".

I currently subscribe to 3 of the named magazines, and my subscriptions extend to the year 2022. What are these people going to do....push me off to access on a website? I DID NOT send they my hard-earned money, for web access. I sent it in for a magazine subscription!!

Old 12-10-2019, 10:23 AM

19,013 posts, read 27,562,983 times
https://www.city-data.com/forum/autom...appearing.html

Old 12-10-2019, 10:32 AM

4,685 posts, read 6,133,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
I watch about 10-15 youtube channels to get my auto information... Far far far more informative than MT/C&D/R&T ever were.

SavageGeese
TheStraightPipes
SpeedAcademy
ThrottleHouse
Carwow
TheSmokingTire
JayLenosGarage
Carfection
Petrolicious
MattMaran
AlexOnAutos
RedlineReviews
EngineeringExplained
TheFastLane
ConsumerReports
MotorWeek
GearsandGasoline

Avoid:

DougDemuro
ScottKilmer
SupercarBlondie
Stradman
VehicleVirgins
Shmee
TopGear
Donut

Anyone: Hi Scotty, nice day outside

Scotty: It will ruin your car

Anyone: Why?

Scotty: Its not a 1993 Toyota Celia

Old 12-10-2019, 11:23 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,181,810 times
Vehicle Virgins is the worst YT channel, in my opinion. Just look at this douche.

Harry's Garage is my favorite automotive channel. Harry is one of the founders of Evo Magazine and got an interesting car collection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive