Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2008, 03:07 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,981,359 times

Advertisements

I will be procuring a vehicle shortly for which I intend to advertise my retail business. I've been looking into either getting the vehicle wrapped (whole or partially, or perhaps I'll just do some graphics pieces). Has anyone had any experience doing this with their vehicle? What did you think of the durability? Cost? etc..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 04:39 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,757,166 times
ive seen people with it.. its pretty ugly, but whatever.

my neighbors used to use big magnets with advertising information on them so they could park the vehicle on the street at home, otherwise it was considered a commercial vehicle and people would call parking enforcement on them.

Old 04-24-2008, 06:29 PM

9,599 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post
I will be procuring a vehicle shortly for which I intend to advertise my retail business. I've been looking into either getting the vehicle wrapped (whole or partially, or perhaps I'll just do some graphics pieces). Has anyone had any experience doing this with their vehicle? What did you think of the durability? Cost? etc..
Interesting question, mbuszu.

Personally, I would never do such a thing to any of my vehicles but I'm frequently referred to as a CAR NUT.

If push comes to shove . . . I would possibly consider a couple of those little or no permanent damage and easy to remove magnetic signs but nothing more.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:52 PM

732 posts, read 4,156,798 times
I did it just so I could get my windows tinted with double %5

Old 04-25-2008, 07:21 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,981,359 times
Well thanks for your input thus far - but it would seem I've received consumer opinions vs experienced entrepreneur opinions which I guess shouldn't be too surprising considering most of those who read this board probably do work for others, or in the case of this sub-forum love their cars so much they couldn't fathom turning them into mobile billboards.

I view my new vehicle a bit differently as a business owner: it will get me from point A to point B, act as a nice mobile billboard which will receive thousands of impressions per day (for multiple years) with just a one time cost, and it will be an awesome tax write-off against my income.

I already know that having a mobile billboard is awesome advertising bang for the buck (other than a couple other channels there's nothing that comes close to it ROI-wise), it won't damage my vehicle, and parking my vehicle in my driveway won't violate any HOA covenants either while yet still being great advertising for people in my neighborhood to view (they are part of the target market - so that's a great thing).

One final thought: Even if you make note that you think wrapped vehicles are ugly or outlandish... you've still made note of it and that's what advertising is all about. I'll get people to think about my business.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:37 AM

534 posts, read 2,407,554 times
Its an expensive process. But if you do it, make sure you find someone that knows what they are doing and knows what you expect. If you have a newish car with original paint, when the car is 'unwrapped' it should have no damage to the paint. If it has bad aftermarket paint, the wrap can take off the paint when removed. For your purposes, its a good idea. There will be little nicks and stuff from them trimming the vinyl in the corners, and sometimes on window rubbers. I used to work at a place that did these. Also, at least in our humid environment down here, the door magnet signs, can damage the paint as well. Humidity and mildew builds up under them and it messes up the paint. On my personal honda accord, I wasnt able to buff out the paint to make it look right, just after having them on a few months.
Something to think about as well, at least down here in south florida, ALOT of home associations do not allow commercial vehicles to park at night there. If you have magnets, you can take them off. (they towed a friends car, with magents, an acura, not an f150!). If you have a wrapped car, you better have a garage. I know someone in this predicament, he has the back window done for his business, and cant park at his house.

Old 04-25-2008, 12:36 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,528,307 times
Mbuszu, I don't have any experience wrapping cars, but I'll definitely offer you moral support on the "visiblity" aspect of it. Actually, I find most of the "wraps" I see appealing. (But this comes from somebody who drags a 53' billboard loaded with groceries around in OH, IN and KY. ) Also, I hope you're successful being able to bring your "ad-mobile" home and park it in the driveway. I don't have a problem with it. I do, however, feeel bad when I've had to bring my truck tractor home in an emergency, so I can understand how neighbors can be. (Mine, thankfully, haven't ever complained)

Old 11-06-2008, 05:15 AM

5 posts, read 13,921 times
So how did your vehicle experience go? I too am an entreprenuer who is purchasing a new vehicle and am exploring wrapping my vehicle. Do you know your ROI etc. Would you recommend wrapping? Pros and Cons?

Old 03-04-2009, 07:16 PM

1 posts, read 4,671 times
Smile brilliant

...i just wanted to chime in and say that i am in LOVE with the vehicle wrap advertising concept - especially if the vehicle you are looking to wrap is out and about most of the day. i ALWAYS check out the colorful cars on the road and have found that brand recognition is improved greatly (i.e. i saw a car for o2 fitness and then when i drove past the o2 fitness store at another time, i was like "WOW!!! there it is!"!). I'm into marketing/advertising so i may be hypersensitive, but i really think it is worth looking into!

mod cut:

Last edited by scirocco22; 10-09-2010 at 01:28 PM.. Reason: 10-post rule
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive