Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2020, 06:11 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,274,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
you had a mitsubishi miata? don't think I have seen one of those.

FYI, I am pretty sure they aren't making cars in the US anymore. they still make like 2-3 small SUVs, but that's it.
I've had two Japan-built vehicles. Montero was first. Mazda Miata was 2nd. Lexus GX may be the 3rd.

All Mitsubishis are made in Japan now. They have three CUVs and the Mirage. The Outlander is not small.
I've driven the PHEV and it's pretty good. It's the best selling PHEV in the UK, pretty popular over there.

They should've never stopped selling the Pajero (Montero) over here. That was where they really screwed up.
It was a credible (and reliable) knockoff of a Land Rover, turf they should've never ceded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2020, 10:06 AM

2,687 posts, read 2,340,180 times
Here is the real world report 2010 2015 2018 Toyota’s all 4cyl. Not one has ever had a repair besides breaks and a battery for the 10. The 03 I sold with 197k miles on it. 2 o2 sensors, starter, alternator, brakes, battery.

The real world verdict Toyota’s are great cars.

Old 07-03-2020, 10:22 AM

2,551 posts, read 1,320,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Of course, it’s best to buy a European luxury brand that has come off lease where it has depreciated like a stone. A lot of those see 70% depreciation at 5 years.
People lease such vehicles for a reason.
They are unreliable.

Compare two auto seats. Which one is more reliable:
1. a beige-leather seat with 15 electric motors to change positions - $300 per motor, $1,500 to change the leather cover.
2. a cloth manual-adjustment seat - $200 for a new cloth cover.

Old 07-03-2020, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
Here is the real world report 2010 2015 2018 Toyota’s all 4cyl. Not one has ever had a repair besides breaks and a battery for the 10. The 03 I sold with 197k miles on it. 2 o2 sensors, starter, alternator, brakes, battery.

The real world verdict Toyota’s are great cars.
Does it mean that the next person who bought the vehicle with 197k miles has to fix everything? Starting from the bad steering wheel, then the sagging seat, then all hoses, then the head gasket...

Old 07-03-2020, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenze View Post
People lease such vehicles for a reason.
They are unreliable.

Compare two auto seats. Which one is more reliable:
1. a beige-leather seat with 15 electric motors to change positions - $300 per motor, $1,500 to change the leather cover.
2. a cloth manual-adjustment seat - $200 for a new cloth cover.
I've never had a power seat fail.
Quality leather (not the cheap crap) will easily outlast cloth.
I am not riding in a crappy seat due to repair paranoia.
It's cheaper to repair a seat than to repair my back.
I don't skimp on seats.

Old 07-03-2020, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
I've never had a power seat fail.
Quality leather (not the cheap crap) will easily outlast cloth.
I am not riding in a crappy seat due to repair paranoia.
It's cheaper to repair a seat than to repair my back.
I don't skimp on seats.
Why won't you go to a skilled craftsman who will measure your posture in every possible way and create an individually styled seat then?

I guess if you buy a nice Rolls Royce, they will install a customized seat for a tiny slim lady and a different one for a big burly guy.

Old 07-03-2020, 01:15 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,030,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
the lower initial cost, the lower 5 year ownership costs. I bought a 2007 toyota RAV4 for $7500. I bet I could sell it for $5000 in 5 years. the depreciation curve has flattened on that vehicle. what hurts mitsubishi and fiat are their pricier vehicles. as a brand, they don't hold value. all of these "studies" and new car lists are just a joke. I mean, this is a 5 year ownership forecast on 2020 vehicles. there's simply no logic to that.
Absolutely. The trick is to buy the car when it flattens the curve.

Old 07-03-2020, 01:17 PM

12,908 posts, read 28,030,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
Neat story about Fiat. Still way too many trivial problems in that review, but if you get it cheap enough....

I'm in the staunchly pro-Toyota crowd who thinks Fiats and Mitsu's are less than's (but generally no worse than Brand X domestics), and Toyota's are worth every penny of their resale value.
However, I'm handy and I like oddball stuff for the sake of being different. Fiat gets points for that, so while I may sing the praises of a particular brand on here, it wouldn't be out of character to see me running around town in some Euro-thing just because.

Fiat uses Aisin (that's the brand for those who don't know) transmissions, I think, and they make transmissions for a LOT of different makes and models. Pretty good for the most part.
Honda has never really figured out the CVT. Sad for a company that was known for being among the best at one time. Still far from the worst, but now you have to be more selective about which Honda you get.
Except they don’t make the 500 any more. I believe last year was 2019 and stickers were over $21k. Even with 4K off, I would never pay 17 for a 500

Old 07-03-2020, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenze View Post
Why won't you go to a skilled craftsman who will measure your posture in every possible way and create an individually styled seat then?

I guess if you buy a nice Rolls Royce, they will install a customized seat for a tiny slim lady and a different one for a big burly guy.
The same person isn't always sitting in the seat, so that isn't any kind of solution.

I just buy the car with seats that move every which way. Then they can fit anyone.
Plus, I want the seat to remember where it was set... for both the driver and the passenger.

The seats in the wife's Cadillac deliver on both counts. They are all day comfortable.
Even in that car, there are three levels of seats. The Platinum seats are a cut above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
Absolutely. The trick is to buy the car when it flattens the curve.
Luxury cars do this even better than regular cars.
I've had a bunch of them... buy at the bottom of the curve, drive for a few years, then sell it and get a different one.
One they hit the bottom of the curve, they depreciate very little and end up being a cheap ride.

Last edited by eaton53; 07-03-2020 at 01:40 PM..

Old 07-03-2020, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
Except they don’t make the 500 any more. I believe last year was 2019 and stickers were over $21k. Even with 4K off, I would never pay 17 for a 500
I believe you're late.
Almost all 2019 Fiat 500s have been sold out.

All new 2020 model Fiats have been sold out in Europe.

You may check the boxy Renegade from Fiat, it's pretty popular.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive