Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2020, 04:02 PM

13,646 posts, read 9,706,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
For fuel I have a company credit card and the company picks up all maintenance, tires, oil changes and whatever. ...
That being the case, why is fuel-economy a concern? I'd argue that you could buy a luxury car that's a few years old, that's depreciated significantly, that might be finicky and temperamental and hard to maintain, and inefficient - but that's irrelevant, because the company pays. But you get a luxurious and spirited ride!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2020, 04:45 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,931,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
That being the case, why is fuel-economy a concern? I'd argue that you could buy a luxury car that's a few years old, that's depreciated significantly, that might be finicky and temperamental and hard to maintain, and inefficient - but that's irrelevant, because the company pays. But you get a luxurious and spirited ride!
I treat company money as if it were mine.

Old 09-15-2020, 04:59 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,101,710 times
If your personal car is a Subaru Outback, why not get another Subaru? I have found the generous headroom and legroom and the comfortable seats, to be better in a Subaru than in any other car that I have owned, including Audis and BMWs.

Old 09-15-2020, 05:05 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,831,016 times
You can sometimes find used Impreza sedans for non-insane prices since they're less popular than the brand's SUV/CUV/wagon options.

Old 09-15-2020, 06:02 PM

52 posts, read 46,440 times
Quote:
I have never been a car person and I absolutely hate shopping for cars.

I am 72 years young, still working full time and my work requires some automobile travel that totals around 4,000 miles a month.

It is a work car owned by me but my employer reimburses me $974/month and I do have a company credit card used for gas so I look at it as a pretty good deal.

Looking for a 2017 to 2019 having 25,000 to 35,000 miles that gets good over the road mileage. 35 mpg or better would be good.

Unless my wife wants to ride along with me I am always alone.

I would like to keep the purchase price under $16,000 with $13,000 to $14,000 being my target.

I would require a backup camera as well as the ability to operate my telephone hands free. I also like to listen to I Heart Radio...

I like the safety features such as cruise control and lane assist where it beeps at you when you wander off your lane.

I will change the oil regularly and new tires when needed but other than that I don't want maintenance issues.

I rented an Optima a month ago and it wasn't bad.

2018 Kia Optima
Price $14,849
Mileage 29,256 mi

Wondering how much could I get two years from not if it had 100,000 miles?

So my question is what car would you get in my shoes?
Honestly, for a few thousand extra I'd get a new car not someone elses cast off problems, as is the case when buying a used car.
Check this out. https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/rese...20/ss-BB10KWVa

But, when considering any car, always, always, check out the IIHS rating. This is the entity that tests all new model cars for safety. And those tests end up being the bottom line for what ends up as your insurance premium on said vehicle.
https://www.iihs.org/ratings

I wish you the best in your search.

Blessings,
AH

Old 09-15-2020, 07:12 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,519,030 times
Quote:

I am 72 years young, still working full time and my work requires some automobile travel that totals around 4,000 miles a month.

It is a work car owned by me but my employer reimburses me $974/month and I do have a company credit card used for gas so I look at it as a pretty good deal.

Looking for a 2017 to 2019 having 25,000 to 35,000 miles that gets good over the road mileage. 35 mpg or better would be good.

I would like to keep the purchase price under $16,000 with $13,000 to $14,000 being my target.

I would require a backup camera as well as the ability to operate my telephone hands free. I also like to listen to I Heart Radio...

I like the safety features such as cruise control and lane assist where it beeps at you when you wander off your lane.

I will change the oil regularly and new tires when needed but other than that I don't want maintenance issues.

2018 Kia Optima
Price $14,849
Mileage 29,256 mi

Corolla....if you plan on keeping it for 3/4 years. You’ll be putting 50k a year so in three years you’ll be hitting. 170,000 miles.

Old 09-15-2020, 07:24 PM

9,499 posts, read 4,337,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
For amount of high mileage, the most import thing is comfort (hopefully you have a good back).
Plus you'd need to pick up a vehicle that you'll like driving, since so much time we'll be spent inside that vehicle.

And there is no better comfort than when riding on a higher chair plus give you better view and safety.

In your shoes I'd go for a fully loaded SUV/pickup truck that drives higher than sedans; life is too short to not make the best of the many hours you'll spend on the road.

Once you decide, rent and drive it for couple of days before purchasing to be 100% it is where you want to spend so many hours every day...
Jeebus.

1) Comfort has nothing to do with "riding on a higher chair". Do you enjoy sitting on a bar stool?
2) Trucks handle like crap and ride like crap
3) Trucks are exactly the opposite of comfortable. It you think they are, you need to drive a comparably priced sedan.
4) Trucks are hard to park
5) Trucks suck down gas.
6) You look like a dork driving around in a truck with an empty bed
7) Trucks are farm vehicles. Unless you're schlepping bales of hay around the back 40, a car is far better choice.

How is driving an ancient-tech boat "making the best of the many hours you'll spend on the road"?

Now, if you're post was meant to be sarcastic, it was well done.

Old 09-16-2020, 10:17 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,694,537 times
Quote:

2018 Kia Optima
Price $14,849
Mileage 29,256 mi

I don't see why not an Accord or Camry, they are trouble free ownership for atleast 7-10 years. Kias are ok but they lose value so fast. It will drop to $6k in 2 years.

Last edited by vision33r; 09-16-2020 at 10:54 AM..

Old 09-16-2020, 10:34 AM

2,774 posts, read 5,162,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Jeebus.

1) Comfort has nothing to do with "riding on a higher chair". Do you enjoy sitting on a bar stool?
2) Trucks handle like crap and ride like crap
3) Trucks are exactly the opposite of comfortable. It you think they are, you need to drive a comparably priced sedan.
4) Trucks are hard to park
5) Trucks suck down gas.
6) You look like a dork driving around in a truck with an empty bed
7) Trucks are farm vehicles. Unless you're schlepping bales of hay around the back 40, a car is far better choice.

How is driving an ancient-tech boat "making the best of the many hours you'll spend on the road"?

Now, if you're post was meant to be sarcastic, it was well done.
Are you comfortable when seating on your sofa watching TV?
Because this is what you get for your legs and back when driving a truck/large SUV.

Try driving for many hours at the time and you'll see.
Especially after a certain age and/or people with legs and back problems.

Old 09-16-2020, 12:25 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,986,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
I wouldn't want to be in a car accident in a Kia or Hyundai. With loggins that many miles, I'd check the accident ratings of the vehicles.
Soul is 5 star
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive