Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2008, 08:53 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,839,259 times

Advertisements

any one drive a camry--preferably 08 model that has the built=in NAV screen system

any comments about it and the music systems would be appreciated

we are considering a Camry Hybrid pretty seriously and right now my husband has a Tahoe with a Nav system that works really well--
have heard that the Nav system in Toyota is not that great--especialy the earlier verisons--
that some people prefer to use a Gamin instead of the option package from Toyota

real people--real info--but PLEASE I don't care if you have a different car's system--I want to compare apples to apples--just a Camry and preferable a Hybrid...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2008, 08:54 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,839,259 times
does anyone have a good review or information site about Camry hybrids--I have been to Edmunds but the 09 is not reviewed

Old 05-03-2008, 01:10 PM

268 posts, read 1,159,685 times
Have you tried posting on Edmund's community forum site?

Toyota Camry Hybrid Forums & Discussions - CarSpace Automotive Forums

Or reading through comments posted there? There is a thread already started about the Camry Hybrid's navigation system. Toyota Camry Hybrid Navigation System Questions - CarSpace Automotive Forums

Old 05-04-2008, 05:27 AM

2,679 posts, read 11,731,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
any one drive a camry--preferably 08 model that has the built=in NAV screen system

any comments about it and the music systems would be appreciated

we are considering a Camry Hybrid pretty seriously and right now my husband has a Tahoe with a Nav system that works really well--
have heard that the Nav system in Toyota is not that great--especialy the earlier verisons--
that some people prefer to use a Gamin instead of the option package from Toyota

real people--real info--but PLEASE I don't care if you have a different car's system--I want to compare apples to apples--just a Camry and preferable a Hybrid...
I have the Camry 2007 50th Anniversary edition.

The music system is very good - especially with the ability to hook my IPOD directly into the stereo system. I have the JBL 440 watt stereo.

With regard to the diagnostics, the screen tells you when you are due for routine maintainence.

The GPS is decent in that you don't have to wait for it to find the satellite signal like you would in a Garmin Nuvi. However, I am frequently frustrated with the limited commercial destinations listed (businesses, restaurants). I had a Nuvi and this does not come close.

Another factor is that it doesn't let the driver or the shotgun passenger push in destinations while the car is in motion (that could be a pain if you are trying to find a place 'on the fly' - I realize it is a safety factor). There was a patch that allowed me to disable the safety feature so I remade the navigation DVD with the patch so I could operate the screens/GPS while driving.

The latest information about the 2008 Camry's which I suspect is greatly unchanged can be found below. It is probably the best of the forums for Camrys. I am a member of them all (I was not a fan of the toyotanation site - not many posts).

Toyota Camry Hybrid - GreenHybrid - Hybrid Cars

WARNING: The trunk is smaller than the conventional Camry by about 1/3 given the 150 lb battery for the hybrid. I can only fit a golf bag and the standard sized golf push cart. That is it. If you need groceries they can fit around the golf bag/cart. The pass through from the rear seat is useless. The size is about 10.6 cu feet:

Beware Camry Hybrid Trunk! - Tundra Solutions Forum

In the end; however, you can always get the Hybrid without the navigation and buy a Garmin. I am so tempted to get a Garmin despite having the navigation in this car.

I love the gas mileage compared to my Mercedes SUV on Premium fuel (14 MPG). The Camry gets about 39-40 MPG on the highway and 34 to 36 MPG mixed city/highway. For its size it was the greatest compromise on size and fuel economy over the other competition in its class.

Last edited by titaniummd; 05-04-2008 at 05:41 AM..

Old 05-05-2008, 09:44 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,082,278 times
I have a 2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid (TCH) that I purchased in October 2007 with about 5500 miles on it now and love it! I average, overall about 37 mpg and the trip computer shows about 525 miles to the tank.

I too had a Garmin Nuvi in my Lexus before I purchased the TCH. Pro's and con's on the built in nav system versus an aftermarket navigation system:

Pro's:
1. You never have to pull a device out and plug it in
2. No fear of someone breaking into your car looking for the portable nav system. I have read that thieves are targeting cars that have the suction cups for the system on their dashboard/windshield as it is probably stowed away in the glove compartment or center console
3. Don't have to wait for the satellite signal.
4. Voice activated so you can program an address while you are driving
5. Integrated into audio system with BlueTooth. When a phone call comes in, it mutes the audio.
6. Large display

What I don't like about my built-in system:
1. The updates will be expensive. The dvd will probably be $250 while the update on the Garmin was about $100.
2. The Garmin announces the name of the street just prior to turning. The TCH has it on the display screen but only "dings" to signify the turn.
3. TCH's dvd takes up 2 "slots" on the multiple cd player but I just attach my ipod to the auxiliary jack and keep it stowed away.

Switching back to the overall car - I love it. Yes the trunk is small because of the hybrid battery pack. This next section is entitled - Toyota please read so you can make the car almost perfect:

1. No memory seat setting (come on)
2. No folding side mirrors (hello?)
3. No back up camera. My niece has a back up camera on her Prius and does not have a nav system
4. Better jack for the ipod. You cannot control the tracks from the steering wheel for the ipod.
5. Smallish trunk
6. No wood grain package

If anyone has any questions on a Camry Hybrid - PM me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion