Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 11:27 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,285,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
No 4 door Hatches? VW has been making Golf 4 door hatches for almost forty years now.
There have been a LOT of 4 door hatches, as well as 2 door wagons over the years.

Wagons saw a decline when utility vehicles got better at the job. there have been large SUV type vehicles since the '50s (Chevy/GMC Suburban, International TravelAll, And in the early '60s, the Jeep Cherokee). Both wagons and SUVs could haul stuff inside, but SUVs could do it in more conditions, with easier incres and egress (at least, non lifted ones). Hatchbakcs work ok, but not as many peopel wanted small and practical here, unless they could only have one vehicle. if you could have more than one vehicle, then you split the chores and tended to ahve a larger utility vehicle/truck and a passenger car.

Now, why peopel would want the tiny modern sedans that are not very proportional, I'm not sure. Small sedans used to look pretty good:

As for luxury cars, there have been a few wagons of the luxury car segment:

What might a new one look like?

Yeah, most wagons were in the middle and lower lines, like the BMW 5 and 3 series.

Me? I like them all but I prefer coupes and sedans (and full size coupes are the shiznit).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 01:34 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,854,315 times
That first 7-series wagon was a one-off for an auto show, unfortunately.

The second one was probably a custom-job from a coachbuilder. BMW never offered a 7-series wagon in their lineup officially

No one here has brought up the "shooting brake" body style:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
A Shooting-brake, or "Shooting Break", is a three-door car body style with a squared-off rear.[1] They generally have a rear liftgate like a wagon or a hatchback although one or a pair of side-hinged doors is also sometimes seen.

The term originated with custom built 2-door luxury estate cars altered for use by hunters and other sportsmen such as golfers, riders, and polo players requiring easy access to larger storage areas than offered by the typical automobile boot.
Some were coachbuilt:

[img]http://www.autoblog.nl/images/wp2007...g%20break1.jpg[/img]

Porsche 944

Aston Martin DB5

Jaguar XJS "Eventer" by Lynx

Ferrari 365 GTB

...and some are factory:

Volvo P1800ES

Upcoming (allegedly) Porsche Panamera

BMW Z3 Coupe

...and for something completely different... a VW Fox wagon would technically be a "shooting brake"

Old 12-13-2010, 02:29 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,285,380 times
Wiki is off about the requirement to be 3 door, as many of the early ones that defined the term, from Rolls Royce and Alvis, are 4 door wagons.

Old 12-13-2010, 08:22 PM

1 posts, read 11,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
I do not get why Americans like sedans so damn much. I see more versa sedans and yaris sedans then the hatchback version. Hatchbacks offer more space, gets better mpg, looks better, and is cheaper. Yet nobody wants them here. Why?
America likes coupes.

Europe likes hatches.

I like both.

Old 12-15-2010, 08:06 AM

1,742 posts, read 6,137,651 times
I own various cars including hatchbacks and wagons. I obviously prefer other cars, but as far as a regular sedan vs. wagon I might choose wagon. When it comes to luxury though I might lead more towards the sedan, but I definitely like Magnums, Roadmaster Estates, and CTS-V Sports Wagons. I think this topic is aimed more at wagon type cars as well as some of those weird looking sedans with hatchbacks. Generally non-wagon coupes with hatchbacks are more sporty, so I don't think they are really to be included here. I do like the looks of a Fox Body Mustang notchback with a spoiler and maybe even more than the hatchbacks. Really unless it is a luxury car or you just absolutely need whatever security can be ascertained from a trunk (might want to avoid fold down seats then), a wagon does have more utility.

Old 12-15-2010, 08:08 AM

1,742 posts, read 6,137,651 times
Oh and as far as wagon customs, there's also the late 70s Firebird wagon concept, C3 Corvette wagon conversions, C1 Corvette Nomad conversions, other Nomad tributes, and I saw a 90s Firebird turned wagon as well.

Old 12-15-2010, 04:52 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,620,865 times
I'm interested in seeing how the final design for MB's new CLS wagon (Shooting Star) comes out. The competing Panamera is just plain fugly from the rear, while BMW's 5GT makes me want to hurl. I think if Audi does bring the A7 over here it could potentially be the best looking hatch since their design language is so fluid & sleek without the pinches & creases so prevalent today.

I'm surprised there's Zero interest or publicity about Acura's upcoming TSX wagon. It was slated to arrive before year's end, but who knows the way the economy is & Honda's bottom line.

Old 12-17-2010, 10:59 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,827,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
I do not get why Americans like sedans so damn much. I see more versa sedans and yaris sedans then the hatchback version. Hatchbacks offer more space, gets better mpg, looks better, and is cheaper. Yet nobody wants them here. Why?
sedans tend to be a bit lighter than hatchbacks, and sedans dont have the problem of the hatch rattling when the hinges get loose. one more thing it is easier to install speakers in a sedan as you dont have to build a box, and the stereo sounds better.

Old 12-17-2010, 11:07 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
I own tw2o cars. The fisr has always been a truck and now a mini van. For the other i prefer a sedan 4 door. I like having a trunk and the easier view as well as now its not effected by wind as bad when on the Highway.I also prefer mid size or larger for family car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive