Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2021, 12:05 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,180,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill790 View Post
Nope. Too much work. If s/he can't get a charity to pick it up, easier just to abandon it. S/he's not the owner, not his/her problem.

--
Truth. But definitely don't continue driving it. The list of potential problems associated with doing that is far too long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2021, 12:31 PM

17,232 posts, read 57,171,959 times
This is a state by state thing, if you follow up with the people indicated here, you should be able to get title to the car, register it, drive it. A free car, or nearly free. Why would you not want that?

Old 03-09-2021, 01:06 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,180,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
This is a state by state thing, if you follow up with the people indicated here, you should be able to get title to the car, register it, drive it. A free car, or nearly free. Why would you not want that?
Probably because doing what we've described here isn't really all that easy. When the payoff is a 2008 Altima in who knows what condition, it actually might ultimately not be worth it. Or it might be. Not for us to say.

Old 03-09-2021, 01:12 PM

524 posts, read 153,994 times
I would not recommend just abandoning it. Aside from the enviro-hazard (leaking fluids) and the eyesore, the car may be traceable to OP. If so, that will cost him.

Old 03-10-2021, 07:02 AM

13,723 posts, read 12,483,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Mod cut: Quoted post deleted.

Well, just in case, donate it to a charity such as Kars4Kids, they don't care about the title. It's only worth a thousand or so anyway, may as well take a tax deduction.
We couldn't even donate a slide-in truck camper without the right paperwork.

Old 03-10-2021, 07:07 AM

1,386 posts, read 1,003,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeOnMadisonStreet View Post
I would not recommend just abandoning it. Aside from the enviro-hazard (leaking fluids) and the eyesore, the car may be traceable to OP. If so, that will cost him.
The OP said the car wasn't titled or registered in his name. Not sure how it could come back to him....

---

Old 03-10-2021, 07:35 AM

524 posts, read 153,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill790 View Post
The OP said the car wasn't titled or registered in his name. Not sure how it could come back to him....

---
OP said his aunt, who got the car from the g-parents, once had the title, but lost it. If the state or county wants to, they may be able to use the vin number to trace it at least to the aunt. I assume she would have something to say to her nephew in that case.

Old 03-10-2021, 08:37 AM

1,386 posts, read 1,003,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeOnMadisonStreet View Post
OP said his aunt, who got the car from the g-parents, once had the title, but lost it. If the state or county wants to, they may be able to use the vin number to trace it at least to the aunt. I assume she would have something to say to her nephew in that case.
So, if the aunt is still alive, call the aunt and say "Remember that Nissan...? It's in your name, I can't title it or legally drive it, so I'm abandoning it. It's located at "X" if you want to deal with it...." The car isn't titled or registered in his name. It's not his problem.

--

Old 03-10-2021, 12:56 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,651,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
That is not true. Charities are not allowed to accept goods that might be stolen without proof that they aren't. What would they do with them if it turned out they didn't belong to the person trading them in? Nobody in the organization would be allowed to drive it. They couldn't sell it to use the funds for their purposes, either. What would their end game be in accepting it?

I donated a car to the American Stroke Association a year and a half ago. They definitely asked for the pink slip.
This varies from city to city, I know for a fact, (around here), the charities that accept vehicle donations do not ask for docs/pink slip, when my grandparents got too old and stopped driving, they gave me their car, I didnt need it or have any use for it, my wife suggested I donate it, This was over 15 yrs ago, but I remember just handing them the keys and that was it, they gave me receipt for the BB value.

Im not certain, but I believe the charities actually get the title and all the docs, (in the name of the person they give it to), I dont think they sell the cars outright, they give them to needy people in the area.

Old 03-11-2021, 10:06 AM

22,403 posts, read 29,516,848 times
Donate it and get a tax write off
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive