Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2021, 11:30 AM

959 posts, read 2,027,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulsa View Post
I tried to do this on purpose with my various cars.
I had a similar car to yours - a Chevy Geo. While driving along, I put my foot on the brake and then floored the gas. The brakes easily overpowered the engine.
Try this on your car.

I did my tests at city and highway speeds with various cars.
Really, I think everyone needs to try this at least once so they know what to expect.

Car magazines have done this test a number of times over the years. I recall that when the car gets much over 500 HP, then brake force required to both overcome the engine and stop the car from speed was so great that brake fade set in so the stopping distance from 100 mph was almost a mile.

Here's the caveat though, and what some people suspect is happening in some cases. It is that people don't press the brakes as hard as they can. If the engine races on a car with a decent engine and you press the brakes hard but not with maximum force, then you can get into a brake fade situation eventually and the stopping distance becomes very long if not nearly infinite.
I suspect that it could be somewhat more likely with elderly people with weak legs, bad knees, etc, or inexperienced drivers who have never been in a slam-the-brakes situation.
I've experienced brake fade back in the old days of drum brakes; it's a bad experience.

The best answer is to turn the engine off and put the car in neutral. Or push in the clutch if you have one.

Another story on the topic. I was test-driving a BMW. It was one of those models with the push a button to start the car. So we're driving along and I thought of the unintended acceleration problem. I was also thinking of the case where the driver becomes incapacitated; what can the passenger do to turn it off.
I asked the salesman while we were on the highway "So, if I needed to turn the car off for some emergency, how do I do that without a key to turn".

He didn't know.

I pulled into a parking lot later and tried pushing the button at about 25mph. Nothing happened. Uh-oh, it was designed so you cannot hit the button and turn off the engine while you are driving.
He said "I suppose if there is an emergency we could look in the manual and then laughed."

Because of some of the previous unintended acceleration issues, most new cars now override throttle when the brake is applied. Toyota was slow to put in this fail-safe, but it is very common now, so the main issue goes away.

Similarly, as for the start/stop button, as they are disabled above a certain speed, most manufacturers also have a sequence for emergency override. I believe many use a "press and hold" and a couple use a double or triple press.

Finally, many of the new electronic emergency brakes also have an override feature at speed. For many, you can pull and hold the lever to get the emergency brake to come on at speed.

Not something you'll all figure out on a test drive, but these are important things people should know about in their own vehicles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2021, 12:47 PM

9,547 posts, read 4,372,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulsa View Post
I tried to do this on purpose with my various cars.
I had a similar car to yours - a Chevy Geo. While driving along, I put my foot on the brake and then floored the gas. The brakes easily overpowered the engine.
Try this on your car.
Car & Driver did a similar exercise many years ago.
https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...-acceleration/
A Toyota Camry only took 16 feet longer to stop from 70mph at full throttle compared to no throttle.
An Infinity G37, only 9 feet.
A 540hp Roush Stage 3 Mustang, 80ft.
It's clear that the throttle sticking wide open isn't a big deal on most cars. The shock factor has more to do with such a situation leading to a crash than the actual ability of the car to stop. Only at very high HP levels do stopping distances increase significantly in such circumstances.

Old 03-12-2021, 12:52 PM

14 posts, read 6,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Oh, man, this used to happen to a 1972 Datsun 1200 we used to have. We would be driving along and the engine would start racing with no discernable cause. It was one of the scariest experiences we ever had in a car.

We got so we knew exactly what to do: shift it out of gear (it was a manual), turn off the engine, and then turn it back on again. We could do that at 60 or faster, but I guess I wouldn't recommend it now.

I don't recall that we ever found out what the problem was.

When I first started reading this thread, I thought back to my 1972 Datsun 1200 that I bought used in 1979 that did the exact same thing. I think it was a stuck throttle cable if that makes sense. The first time it happened, I was driving on a rural road, so I pushed the clutch in, pumped the gas pedal a few times, and it "released" with the engine revs going back to normal. The second time was in town. This time I put it in neutral and pumped the gas pedal, but it would not "release", so I turned the engine off and coasted to the side of the street. I had to start and stop it a few times before it "released". I had that car until 1982 when the engine more or less blew up at 185,000 miles. I replaced it with a Subaru.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive