Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2021, 01:35 AM

9,501 posts, read 4,332,846 times

Advertisements

No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2021, 04:31 AM

12,379 posts, read 9,473,336 times
Rotary engines are light, compact and have a good amount of power per unit displacement, plus they're smooth running. But, they burn a lot of oil and exhaust the products, plus they exhaust a good deal of only partially burnt fuel, and they're inefficient. They are really dirty and really inefficient - there are good reasons no one is using them any more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3uGJGzUYCI

Old 03-19-2021, 04:45 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,578,434 times
I've seen a few nice looking RX8s for sale cheap with bad engines because the owners didn't know they were supposed to check the oil level more often than a normal engine.

Old 03-19-2021, 07:00 AM

9,496 posts, read 9,807,609 times
This is a strange post, since the OP pretty much talked himself out of getting an EV in his first post. The OP's reasons were logical. EV's are not great at long trips yet.

The tipping point for most people looking into EV's is a 300 mile range and a 30 minute charge. No vehicles today can fully charge the battery at 30 minutes. When charging, EV's fill faster in the first 20% than the last 20% starting from a nearly empty battery. It would be faster to charge up to 100 miles, then drive to the next station and charge 100 and so on than to stop and charge from 0-300. But the infrastructure is not set up to do that yet.

If you are looking to drive a long distance as quickly as possible with the least amount of stopping, then, as you already know, EV's are not for you. Maybe in another 3-4 years possibly?

Old 03-19-2021, 07:34 AM

8,055 posts, read 7,419,522 times
Quote:
Are electric cars for me?
To paraphrase Trotsky: You may not be interested in electric cars, but electric cars are interested in you.

You will drive an electric car by 2030 unless you go the Cuban route and keep fixing up old ICE cars or import South Asian putt-putt's from the third world. Ford and GM are moving inexorably toward full EV lineups and so is everybody else.

Old 03-19-2021, 05:21 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,355,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I've seen a few nice looking RX8s for sale cheap with bad engines because the owners didn't know they were supposed to check the oil level more often than a normal engine.
Yeah...duh. I always have a quart of oil in the trunk, just in case. But that's only because I tried to stretch it too far between oil changes - it "sips" oil, doesn't chug it.

Old 03-19-2021, 05:24 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Rotary engines are light, compact and have a good amount of power per unit displacement, plus they're smooth running. But, they burn a lot of oil and exhaust the products, plus they exhaust a good deal of only partially burnt fuel, and they're inefficient. They are really dirty and really inefficient - there are good reasons no one is using them any more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3uGJGzUYCI

Right, though I have seen some pretty nifty new rotary engine based generators that seem to make sense. Maybe the good power output for small size bit comes in real handy for a series hybrid if the generator when run keeps in a narrow, optimized band. I know Mazda really puts a lot of its identity into its work with the rotary engine, so it'd be interesting if they can get this to work. They've even trialed hydrogen fueled rotary combustion engines (and *not* a fuel cell) and I do appreciate work being put into these long shots that may or may not work out. It's at least somewhat interesting that a relatively small automaker that's able to survive can be so neurotically devoted to its mythology. Maybe it'll pan out!

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 03-19-2021 at 05:33 PM..

Old 03-19-2021, 05:27 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,164,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
To paraphrase Trotsky: You may not be interested in electric cars, but electric cars are interested in you.

You will drive an electric car by 2030 unless you go the Cuban route and keep fixing up old ICE cars or import South Asian putt-putt's from the third world. Ford and GM are moving inexorably toward full EV lineups and so is everybody else.
Maybe yes, maybe no. According to predictions, we should have been driving flying cars for a few years already. And...we can not even predict the weather. Now a hybrid vehicle would make more sense, but that's is me ("I know nothing")

Old 03-19-2021, 05:36 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,164,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Right, though I have seen some pretty nifty new rotary engine based generators that seem to make sense. Maybe the good power output for small size bit comes in real handy for a series hybrid if the generator when run keeps in a narrow, optimized band. I know Mazda really puts a lot of its identity into its work with the rotary engine, so it'd be interesting if they can get this to work. I think a few years ago, they even trialed a hydrogen fueled rotary combustion engine (and *not* a fuel cell) and I do appreciate work being put into these long shots that may or may not work out. It's at least somewhat interesting!
Hydrogen would be a great source of energy, and so natural gas or propane. In fact, in my humble and very limited opinion, it would make no sense to abandon ICE, hydrogen, biofuels, and natural gas all together, and then switch to batteries.

Old 03-19-2021, 05:54 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Hydrogen would be a great source of energy, and so natural gas or propane. In fact, in my humble and very limited opinion, it would make no sense to abandon ICE, hydrogen, biofuels, and natural gas all together, and then switch to batteries.

No one is abandoning all of these altogether for all purposes, so I guess the rest of the world agrees with you in that people will agree that water is wet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive