Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2021, 02:25 PM

10,300 posts, read 6,822,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVguy View Post

Norty good guess about LS, it's LT. About checking the voltage in the coolant, the manual says to change the coolant in five years. I am not there yet the car is 4 years old. Unless you mean the car have been sitting there for so long and rarely driven, and that I should check the coolant's voltage?
The coolant thing can be done anytime. You don't have to wait until your Dexcool is ready to be changed. (A simple multi-meter from harbor freight can do the job.)
Quote:

Also the manual says to change the brake fluid every 5 years, that's too long right? even if miles never get high enough to change it? But brake fluids it won't just not work suddenly right I mean old fluid, pedal will get softer and softer but I have another car to compare so I should be fine.
5 years is just about right. It doesn't really matter too much if you put 10,000 miles, or 150,000 miles during that time span.
Quote:

If it's just sitting there the engine oil level shouldn't change right? The engine oil was between max and min on the dipstick last time I checked it. But I suppose it will be lower than normal since it's not been driven in awhile and oil is all the way down or something.
If it's rarely started, then the oil in your valve lifters may likely bleed down. This won't really effect the oil level in the sump, but it may make a racket when re-started until the lifters "pump back up."
Quote:

Well thanks so much guys I feel so much better after reading your replies, things just not the same during the pandemic. Also I just found out used market is pretty crazy right now, might sell it and get a newer model if price is good. When do you guys think I can get the most bucks? I think used car market might keep getting crazier? Since It will be awhile until chip shortage gets better, I heard 2022 to 2023 or even longer?!?!?! I have some time to decide then since I like the car and it's pretty low mileage, But thanks again guys you guys are really knowledgeable and helpful!
"Timing" the market is next to impossible. If you enjoy the car, then keep it. If it becomes a "chore" to you, then sell it. (And yes, cars & trucks are bringing a premium currently.)
LT4?
(I had an LS7 for 9 years...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2021, 02:50 PM

17,285 posts, read 22,013,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Sure if you use good oil like my Petronas Selenia Digitek 0W-40. But if you use that costco Mobil junk, good luck.
Costco Mobil junk? Got a link to show a problem?

Costco probably sells the 2nd highest amount of Mobil oil after Walmart so it definitely doesn't collect dust on the shelves!

Old 05-14-2021, 06:47 AM

6,416 posts, read 3,134,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Costco Mobil junk? Got a link to show a problem?
I agree........like Petronas Selinia Digitek is a well known oil, with a solid performance history. I've been a "gearhead" all of my life, working on cars for over 50 years, and I've NEVER heard of that oil.

Old 05-14-2021, 09:21 AM

2,137 posts, read 3,588,616 times
Quote:
Hi guys I rarely drive the car and it’s actually been two years since last oil change, I am suppose to change it every year. I used good oil mobil 1 5w30 full synthetic, so far driven it less than 2200 miles in 2 years. Car is always garaged and humidity/moisture here in the desert area is pretty low.

1 Should I not start it up at all since oil is so old so to avoid any damage, and get a mechanic to change oil at my house/garage? Or is it ok to drive since it's only been 2200 miles and 2 years? (Want to drive to see if tires are ok and to fill it up with new gas, and of course go to get an oil change)

2, I Filled up the gas tank back in last June, it’s still almost full tank now, do I need to drain it or is it ok to use the almost 1 year old gas? I got pretty low miles on this car and car needs 91 octane that’s what I filled it up with, added torco octane booster 2,3 months ago but didn’t drive it much at all. Also again Car is always garaged and humidity/moisture here in the desert area is pretty low I heard that helps with getting the gas/oil bad when humidity/moisture gets inside.

(Additional info it’s a v8, mileage less than 10k miles, weekend car that I don’t drive much even before pandemic, I hope everything is fine, can’t wait to drive to see if tires got flat spots (tires are run flat tires) 3,4 times I didn’t move the car for 2 months or longer! I hope the oil and gas aren’t too bad and things didn’t mess up already. Thanks for your help

I can see no purpose whatsoever for the octane booster.

Old 05-14-2021, 11:13 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,483,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
I agree........like Petronas Selinia Digitek is a well known oil, with a solid performance history. I've been a "gearhead" all of my life, working on cars for over 50 years, and I've NEVER heard of that oil.

I've never heard of it either. I've heard of Petronas the oil company, but not their branded oil

Had to do a google search. Didn't find much, and only place i could buy some is on EBay shipping from Eastern Europe or Russia.

Last edited by BostonMike7; 05-14-2021 at 11:25 AM..

Old 05-14-2021, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Petronas is a HUGE oil company, but not in Western NY. Since it's not in California, either, I'm not familiar with Selinia Digitek specifically either. (It might be good, or bad, I dunno.)
I know the oil I use in my vehicles. It begins with the letter "R."

Old 05-14-2021, 11:22 AM

645 posts, read 706,669 times
I checked the oil and it looked brand new and smelled new. I change the engine oil in my DD so I know the new smell and look. However there were only 5,6 drips that I can get from the very top of dipstick into paper towel. So the dipstick was dry but this is normal for dry-sump since it's been sitting too long. I checked oil before often and I am sure there are enough oil there.

When I tried to turn the car to accessory it took awhile for it to do that, maybe 3,4 seconds. I guess it's just haven't been driven in too long. Tire pressure is ok, engine compartment ok no nests or anything like that.

Norty yeah good guess again. I was searching for a LS7 for awhile, but couldn't find a decent one locally so I ordered the Z. How do I check for stuck/sticky piston? Try to move the brake pad out/in with hands?

NewAmsterdam thanks a lot for the detail reply. Yeah everyone is providing a lot of info/help, I can sort them out. I have a little bit of experience with cars but I am trying to learn as much as possible. Yeah I kind of just found out about the used car market a few days ago I kind of go back and forth, even if I sell it I still like to learn as much as possible, also MAYBE I might run into similar problems again since it's not a DD and won't be driven that often. I will probably keep it.

So the car haven't been driven in 11 months other than one time I moved it from one end of the house to another end. Seals shouldn't leak yet? I assume if I keep this up and let it kept sitting then it will leak later? also when it leaks is it just a tiny bit, it wont just leak out everything overnight right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
I can see no purpose whatsoever for the octane booster.

After 11 months the octane might drop a couple points? So get it back up to 91.

Old 05-14-2021, 03:27 PM

6,416 posts, read 3,134,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Petronas is a HUGE oil company, but not in Western NY......It begins with the letter "R."
Not in western NY? How about not in the United States!!

Begins with "R"......Red Line?

Old 05-14-2021, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Not in western NY? How about not in the United States!!

Begins with "R"......Red Line?
ROTELLA baby!

Old 05-14-2021, 07:50 PM

Quote:
I checked the oil and it looked brand new and smelled new. I change the engine oil in my DD so I know the new smell and look. However there were only 5,6 drips that I can get from the very top of dipstick into paper towel. So the dipstick was dry but this is normal for dry-sump since it's been sitting too long. I checked oil before often and I am sure there are enough oil there.

When I tried to turn the car to accessory it took awhile for it to do that, maybe 3,4 seconds. I guess it's just haven't been driven in too long. Tire pressure is ok, engine compartment ok no nests or anything like that.

Norty yeah good guess again. I was searching for a LS7 for awhile, but couldn't find a decent one locally so I ordered the Z. How do I check for stuck/sticky piston? Try to move the brake pad out/in with hands?

NewAmsterdam thanks a lot for the detail reply. Yeah everyone is providing a lot of info/help, I can sort them out. I have a little bit of experience with cars but I am trying to learn as much as possible. Yeah I kind of just found out about the used car market a few days ago I kind of go back and forth, even if I sell it I still like to learn as much as possible, also MAYBE I might run into similar problems again since it's not a DD and won't be driven that often. I will probably keep it.

So the car haven't been driven in 11 months other than one time I moved it from one end of the house to another end. Seals shouldn't leak yet? I assume if I keep this up and let it kept sitting then it will leak later? also when it leaks is it just a tiny bit, it wont just leak out everything overnight right?

After 11 months the octane might drop a couple points? So get it back up to 91.
Ok, now that we know it's not an older car, your seals will be good for years, regardless if you fire up that engine of yours, or not. (At least 8 years, even if you don't run it.)
Also, not to worry about your brake pads, as your car is "too new" to worry about. (Btw, sticky pistons would show themselves as dragging on the rotor.) This creates heat. You can measure heat with a non-contact thermometer from Harbor Freight.

Now, that we know you have a C7, you might want to join the largest forum for that car. You'll be able to gleen TONS of info from people that know.

www.corvetteforum.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive