Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2021, 08:23 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times

Advertisements

I used to watch the 'Powerblock' on TNN channel years ago, they did custom builds on hot rods, prostreet, 4x4s, etc, but I learned after the show was done filming, all the vehicles went to the crusher...It had something to do with the companies that had supplied the parts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2021, 09:35 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,325,619 times
As a custom car builder, I'll say this, most of them are not only safe, but legal. Some custom cars are not, but on the shows, they are.

Here's an example of one I built from the frame up:

Started as a wrecked '75 Corvette. All the chassis and suspension was modified, and all new bodywork was done. The car was inspected when finished and a title and registration was issued. Since it was a complete rebody, that was necessary.

If it was merely a customized car, then the inspection and retitling would not have been necessary. Like this car I built. Started as a stock '86 Mazda RX7 with a rotary engine:

After I did custom bodywork and painted it:

It didn't need inspection or retitling. Then the Mazda rotary engine died and I installed a Ford V8 and transmission. Again, no new inspection or titling.

Yet the car was completely safe and legal, even though it was heavily modified.

Old 08-30-2021, 12:13 PM

10,872 posts, read 4,540,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
Thanks for the responses! It appears the general consensus is that these builds are likely safe and legal or that no one is really checking/looking that hard regarding vehicle registration.

These shows don't give enough info/detail as to whether or not the builds will be used on public roads or kept as an off road novelty vehicle. One build involved doing a stretch limo type build on a VW microbus and dropping a 1,500 horsepower speedboat dragster engine into the middle of the inside of the bus, seemingly completely exposed to the driver and any passengers.

They actually had to call in an expert on these engines to help them, who told them these engines are not designed to operate at variable speeds. It in essence was designed to operate either at idle, or full throttle open (it's a dragster engine after all).

Is it a race van, street van, all they need is vin and serial for DMV....

well I cannot speak strictly for other states, but in PA I am a licensed inspector, including reman vehicles (salvage titles or something new that did not roll off an OEM floor) and I might have bolted a few things together.

there are different levels of 'legal', for example in my visual only county for emissions, I just peek to see that *something* that looks like *something* is installed. I make no attempt to verify the *something* does *something*. At the same time, if john Q Law pulls you over, even if you have a valid certificate from me, you may be getting a pinch if he calls in the DOT Van and they sniff the tailpipe or something.

modifications of a vehicle do have to conform to something, PA has strict rules on body and frame lifts and flap angles of coverage, bumper heights etc. I am to check some of those but there are other rules, like tint, that I dont check but JQL WILL check and pinch for.

Most cops today do not enforce the obvious - tire stick out, illegal body lifts, gangsta tint, coal rolling. they sorta keep the rule book in the back pocket ready to go in case you **** them off. If a cop sees a 4x4 camaro - something never built, they assume the proper look-see was done and the paperwork was done. BUT, what is the first thing a person does with a vehicle that should not draw attention to its quasi legal status is to in fact draw attention to itself.

That being said, I see a build where 'xxx' hp is installed into something that once had a fraction of xxx hp. And while it seems to work and they have you tube videos to prove it, most builders equate 'it has not failed catastrophically' with 'it will never fail catastrophically'. The OEMS put a lot of attention to make an effort that the parts installed will indeed support the intended or advertised use of the product. For example, GM spent many years with a clear definition of WHAT vehicle/engine combo would get a THM400 tranny vs THM350. Both non-OD 3 spds about the same size for all intents and purpose. Yet I have known of hundreds if not thousands of hop ups in the motor that exceeded the designed capacity of the T350 and here they drive...

When kenne bell or lingenfelter et al were around, the package was a true package. I once knew Jon Bennet (mustang racing fame) to the point I met him and was demoing CNC head cutting tech...when his company did a fox body mustang upgrade, you all of a sudden see 5 bolt axles, c clip eliminators, strut braces added on, non negotiable, to the package. They were the adults.

today any mo can get an LS motor with some life in it out of a junkyard, a chinese super charger and flash a PCM and viola...paint it nice and you get a you tube channel and perhaps an episode on discovery network. Legal? mebbe. Safe? questionable.

a note on engine emissions: each state seems to be more concerned with an emissions pinch, rather than a safety pinch. For example, MD, who should know better, only checks safety once. But they sniff it yearly to get the tags renewed. It was in the past legal to ONLY use an EPA cert for the vehicle. after y2k things got saner and it became legal to put in a BETTER performing engine, year be damned. This of course drove nationwide LS and coyote swaps...really big power was perfectly legal to install and if you also put in the gizmos (why not? they dont hurt performance) it will blow 1/10th cleaner or better

Old 08-30-2021, 03:38 PM

3,430 posts, read 1,843,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
As a custom car builder, I'll say this, most of them are not only safe, but legal. Some custom cars are not, but on the shows, they are.

Here's an example of one I built from the frame up:

Started as a wrecked '75 Corvette. All the chassis and suspension was modified, and all new bodywork was done. The car was inspected when finished and a title and registration was issued. Since it was a complete rebody, that was necessary.

If it was merely a customized car, then the inspection and retitling would not have been necessary. Like this car I built. Started as a stock '86 Mazda RX7 with a rotary engine:

After I did custom bodywork and painted it:

It didn't need inspection or retitling. Then the Mazda rotary engine died and I installed a Ford V8 and transmission. Again, no new inspection or titling.

Yet the car was completely safe and legal, even though it was heavily modified.
I am in LOVE with that Ferrari at the top. What kind of Ferrari is it??

365? 400?

Old 08-30-2021, 04:10 PM

6,459 posts, read 3,150,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrioticSuperman View Post

365? 400?
I believe it is a Daytona convertible replica, similar to what Don Johnson drove, in the TV series 'Miami Vice'.............

Old 08-31-2021, 04:12 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,325,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrioticSuperman View Post

365? 400?

365 GTS/4 Daytona Spyder replica. And yes, it was influenced by Miami Vice, and built in '85.

I had it for 5 years, advertising my custom car shop. It was filmed for Seattle's Almost Live TV show and then used in one of the last episodes of Max Headroom:
Attached Thumbnails
Are the "Builds" On Car Based Reality Shows Safe And Legal?-daytona-cal-04.jpg   Are the "Builds" On Car Based Reality Shows Safe And Legal?-daytona-california-phot-shoot-02.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive