Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2021, 08:21 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,588,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball92 View Post
payments in general are a bad idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
On vehicles or on anything in general?
DoNt bUy AnYtHiNg YoU CanT AfFord

Especially when credit is available sub 2% and you're making 10%+ on investments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2021, 11:53 AM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
Contingent on model,condition, and term of final loan.
Here's a perfect example of good for me, bad for you.
4 yr loan.
12 payments left.
Car in mechanical great shape
Body - no accidents or mars.
I take over the 12 payments.
I just got a car for 75% off value. Well actually probably 55%.since it's clear that dealers make profits, and the car loses value with age.
You walk away with not holding the bag for those 12 payments . You also have no car..hmmm....you tell me. Who gained on this ?
Realistically most folks will ask for a partial cash upfront for the cars base value less the payments due.

BTW I think cash is king when acquiring a product that is inevitablely a loss driving off the lot.

Old 11-02-2021, 12:00 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
I'm considering another vehicle to replace my current one. My credit is not great, so I was considering approaching a seller who's offering "take over" payments. Of course I'll find out how much is owed on the car, and try to negotiate a monthly payment plan...
I've never financed a car before in my life - I've always paid cash and my cars were paid in full from the first day! What are the pros and cons of take over payments?
Don't consider another vehicle! Just pay for what you currently have (which would likely help your credit score instead of trying to do other things, which I assume you have been doing?)

Old 11-02-2021, 12:45 PM

2,773 posts, read 5,159,064 times
Quote:
I'm considering another vehicle to replace my current one. My credit is not great, so I was considering approaching a seller who's offering "take over" payments. Of course I'll find out how much is owed on the car, and try to negotiate a monthly payment plan...
I've never financed a car before in my life - I've always paid cash and my cars were paid in full from the first day! What are the pros and cons of take over payments?

depends...

I had sold a vehicle (was on monthly payments with manufacturer, Mercedes in my case) and the guy who took over had made arrangements with the same lender.

Once I got the OK from lender that all is done (that loan was paid), I took the vehicle to buyer and gave him the keys. I also had a bill of sale we made up on which we specify he will take over the vehicle (with vehicle info and payout listed).

No issues for me or him, this was about 4 years ago and guy had only seen the vehicle on transaction day (different city). Super happy both of us!

Old 11-02-2021, 03:29 PM

6,340 posts, read 4,892,353 times
Quote:
the guy who took over had made arrangements with the same lender.
That's the important part.

It's when the buyer doesn't get approved by the lender is when there is guaranteed to be trouble.

Old 11-02-2021, 03:32 PM

558 posts, read 433,850 times
I've noticed that some newer cars on the FB trading sites that say "take over my payments" are often priced higher than just buying a comparable model with your own payments.

The reason is that the sellers are upside down in their loan payments, either because they rolled a previous loan into it or depreciation or both.

Don't do it!

Old 11-02-2021, 07:14 PM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
You won't get approved to assume the payments. Bank will scrutinize you more because its a used car

Old 11-03-2021, 05:38 AM

6,412 posts, read 3,128,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSusana View Post
I've noticed that some newer cars on the FB trading sites that say "take over my payments" are often priced higher than just buying a comparable model with your own payments.

The reason is that the sellers are upside down in their loan payments, either because they rolled a previous loan into it or depreciation or both.

Don't do it!
Good point, and you just jogged my memory with that comment. About 40 years ago, I was considering buying a motorcycle, "just for grins". About the same time, I was shooting the breeze with my supervisor at work, and he mentioned that his son-in-law (who he didn't particularly care for) had a bike for sale. The SIL wanted a Harley, but didn't have the necessary cash, at the time, so he settled for a 750 Suzuki (a formidable bike, in it's own right, back then).

After about a month with the Suzuki, while it was actually a nice bike, he decided to jump into the deep end, and went out and bought a Harley, anyway. Now he had two bikes, and needed to sell the Suzuki, QUICKLY! He was looking for someone to "take over the payments".

I briefly researched the deal, and crunched the numbers, finding that if I had "taken over his payments", legally and up front, of course, I would have spent around $2-300 less than if I had bought one myself, fresh from the dealer. In other words, not enough of a saving, to consider doing it. The SIL must have had bad credit, therefore a high interest rate on his loan, making it unattractive to me.....

Old 11-03-2021, 07:01 AM

11,778 posts, read 7,989,264 times
I know it sucks but I would bite the bullet and do everything I could to pay extra on the loan until you pay off the negative equity and then trade for what you want.

Old 11-03-2021, 08:50 AM

200 posts, read 173,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
On vehicles or on anything in general?
vehicles specifically. I wont have a payment on anything but my primary mortgage and that is being paid off early. I just hate payment in general.... Hate feeling like I owe someone something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive