Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 10:37 AM

210 posts, read 744,921 times

Advertisements

Is it cheaper to build your own motor(crank kit-new pistons rods crank etc.) including machine shop labor, or cheaper to buy a short block already built from a reputable engine builder(jegs summit etc.)? I have a 350 that i want to rebuild with a scat crank kit, dart heads and so on, but i have been seeing short blocks already assembled for pretty darn cheap. Any one have experiance with this? And anyone have a good source for rebuilt short blocks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2008, 11:17 AM

692 posts, read 3,142,487 times
Do a short block with a quality builder but check the written warantee before you buy.
Let them be responsible for any defects in workmanship or materials.

Silverfox

Old 05-18-2008, 11:39 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,385,838 times
It's definitely cheaper to buy pre-assembled- they can usually provide a complete assembly for less than you can buy all the parts, and definitely less than the cost of parts plus machine work. Unless you're looking for something extremely exotic or you're anal about the blueprinting, it's not worth the time to assemble yourself. Or course, for some, it's the satisfaction of saying "I built it myself"- personally I'd rather save the time and spend it driving the car

Old 05-18-2008, 12:58 PM

3,533 posts, read 12,306,149 times
Talking i like to rebuild

If you have the tools and the know how its cheaper to do it your self. i'm doing an engine right now. i buy all the parts and do it my self. i enjoy doing things like that so it's not a big deal to me. i have my machine work done at a friends shop. if you don't want to spend time to rebuild it you self i would recomend buying a short block. you can save money if you do the whole thing your self.

Old 05-18-2008, 02:27 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
It all depends...

Have you looked at buying a new crate motor from Chevy? If you' don't have a lot of time, it might make sense and they come with the GM warranty.

I've bought two and no problems...

I've also done several 289 Fords myself and jobbed out the machine work I couldn't do... It was fun and 31 years and 121k miles later, that Mustang is still running great...

If you're looking for special mods and don't have the time.... go to a local builder with a top notch reputation...

One of my best "Deals" came when a friend's car was totaled. He let me have the complete motor for $300 and an afternoon of my time to remove it

Old 05-19-2008, 09:10 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
SCAT crank & DART heads sounds like a race motor. I would think buying a complete emgine from a reputable builder would be the most economical overall. Building a race engine is very, very time consuming. Just be absolutely certain you match the cam to the use. A high rev peaky race cam in a street car engine is a gigantic PIA.

Old 05-19-2008, 03:07 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
SCAT crank & DART heads sounds like a race motor. I would think buying a complete emgine from a reputable builder would be the most economical overall. Building a race engine is very, very time consuming. Just be absolutely certain you match the cam to the use. A high rev peaky race cam in a street car engine is a gigantic PIA.

Good Advice!

I'd add if it's to be a carbureted engine, bigger than you need isn't better and you might be surprised by how small you can go and still get max performance.

Old 05-19-2008, 04:45 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,085,908 times
You probably can't assemble a Chevy 350 for less than the short blocks you can buy. But if you assemble it yourself you can get (I forget the correct term) under-gapped rings, and grind the ring gap to minimum spec yourself, you can get totally anal about balancing everything, etc. If you are into that sort of thing.
That said the ZZ-whatever it is Hi-Po crate 350 seems to deliver satisfaction.

As a note towards the $4 price of gas anymore, you can definitely go with some sort of fuel injection and HEI ignition, should not be all that bad on gas if/when you are keeping your foot out of it. IMHO you will get a better overall performance/mileage deal by setting up to run premium - premium costs 20 cents more per gallon, with $4 gas that's 5% - you can get more than 5% better mileage with premium. Plus you'll get more all-out power.

Agreeing with Burdell and Greg W, don't over-cam it. Look at some of the higher-performance, 1 hp per cubic inch grinds of the late '60's, I think these will be about what you want. If you set up to do it, consider installing the cam advanced a little rather than "straight up", will give a little more mid-range torque.

You didn't ask about transmissions, but, an aftermarket 6-speed (who is making them now - Richmond Gear?) will allow you to use say a 3.08 to maybe max 3.54 rear end gear for good cruise RPM yet with the lower 1st and 2nd gears still get standing start acceleration like you had something more like a 3.73 or 4.11.

Old 05-19-2008, 09:40 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
I have a friend who buys alot of engines for rods. He says it is cheaper to buy a crate engine built by the big three than rebuilding and the out come is better.

Old 05-19-2008, 10:21 PM

715 posts, read 2,087,379 times
I would always want warranty to be taken care off (pre-build), even if you had an engineer, unless you're there to overlook the build from start to finish and if it was a mistake that is costly, whats stopping him from dodging the blame and pushing it onto something else?? critical thinkers at its best. Ohh did i mention i was an engineer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive