Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2022, 08:51 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times

Advertisements

I drive the same route every day, to get to the expressway, to go to work, (I-75) I live in Northern KY, about 9 miles from the OH border, Cincinnati, OH is the closest large city, and I have seen this in numerous parts of Cincinnati, OH as well.

I usually get stuck at the traffic light, waiting to turn onto Dixie highway, and often, I am the first car stopped at the light, I have noticed, when the light changes to green, and I turn left onto Dixie highway, the next intersection I come to, (by normal acceleration and speed), as I approach this next traffic light, it goes to yellow/red at a consistent time, (even when there are no cars waiting on the intersecting street!)...

So, I sit there at that traffic light, and when it turns green, I accelerate and reach the normal speed, (35mph on this stretch of Dixie Highway)...and when I reach the next traffic light, it too goes yellow/red, as to cause me to get stuck at yet another red light!

I have seen this continue for up to 5 or 6 consecutive intersections! This seems to be set up this way in MANY MANY stretches of road in my area as well.

**I realize that when/if there are cars waiting at an intersecting street, this will sometimes trigger a change in the traffic light, but as I mentioned above, this pattern seems to happen even when there are no cars waiting on the intersecting street!

Last night, coming home from work, on a stretch of Dixie highway in Erlanger, KY (my hometown), a light turned yellow/red as I approached and I stopped, I was the first car stopped at the light in this case, I looked at both intersecting streets, (no cars), and no cars ever came on either intersecting streets...and yet I sat there at a red light, for really NO REASON AT ALL, (along with the umpteen other cars behind me).

I can provide video of my drive and prove that traffic lights are programmed so drivers get stuck at consecutive red lights, (even when no cars are waiting on the intersecting streets).

Just think of the amount of fuel this practice is wasting?!!

What possible purpose could there be in making drivers get stuck at consecutive red lights?!! Shouldnt it really be programmed the opposite way, (so drivers get all green lights)? LOL

Ive actually called the Dept of highways and Dept of Transportation about this, and I give them specific street/intersection names where this happens, (they always tell me to contact some other agency or dept), and when I do, that dept tells me to call the previous and back and forth. What I presume is going on, is a secret and methodical way to force citizens to use more fuel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2022, 10:10 AM

4,952 posts, read 3,055,358 times
They aren't smart enough to think that far ahead on your conspiracy theory.
I've noticed lights mistimed, but not the majority.
What I have noticed is a huge increase in traffic cams, for revenue purposes I imagine; and probably for surveillance as well.

lol

Old 05-15-2022, 03:17 PM
KCZ

4,676 posts, read 3,667,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I drive the same route every day, to get to the expressway, to go to work, (I-75) I live in Northern KY, about 9 miles from the OH border, Cincinnati, OH is the closest large city, and I have seen this in numerous parts of Cincinnati, OH as well.

I usually get stuck at the traffic light, waiting to turn onto Dixie highway, and often, I am the first car stopped at the light, I have noticed, when the light changes to green, and I turn left onto Dixie highway, the next intersection I come to, (by normal acceleration and speed), as I approach this next traffic light, it goes to yellow/red at a consistent time, (even when there are no cars waiting on the intersecting street!)...

So, I sit there at that traffic light, and when it turns green, I accelerate and reach the normal speed, (35mph on this stretch of Dixie Highway)...and when I reach the next traffic light, it too goes yellow/red, as to cause me to get stuck at yet another red light!

I have seen this continue for up to 5 or 6 consecutive intersections! This seems to be set up this way in MANY MANY stretches of road in my area as well.

**I realize that when/if there are cars waiting at an intersecting street, this will sometimes trigger a change in the traffic light, but as I mentioned above, this pattern seems to happen even when there are no cars waiting on the intersecting street!

Last night, coming home from work, on a stretch of Dixie highway in Erlanger, KY (my hometown), a light turned yellow/red as I approached and I stopped, I was the first car stopped at the light in this case, I looked at both intersecting streets, (no cars), and no cars ever came on either intersecting streets...and yet I sat there at a red light, for really NO REASON AT ALL, (along with the umpteen other cars behind me).

I can provide video of my drive and prove that traffic lights are programmed so drivers get stuck at consecutive red lights, (even when no cars are waiting on the intersecting streets).

What possible purpose could there be in making drivers get stuck at consecutive red lights?!! Shouldnt it really be programmed the opposite way, (so drivers get all green lights)? LOL

Ive actually called the Dept of highways and Dept of Transportation about this, and I give them specific street/intersection names where this happens, (they always tell me to contact some other agency or dept), and when I do, that dept tells me to call the previous and back and forth. What I presume is going on, is a secret and methodical way to force citizens to use more fuel.

It probably is programmed the opposite way, so that drivers going in the opposite direction benefit from a series of green lights. It's common to set up the lights this way to accommodate the direction having the most traffic. Some series of lights are set up so there are consecutive greens in one direction during the morning rush hour, and consecutive greens in the opposite direction in the late afternoon.

Old 05-15-2022, 03:56 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
It probably is programmed the opposite way, so that drivers going in the opposite direction benefit from a series of green lights. It's common to set up the lights this way to accommodate the direction having the most traffic. Some series of lights are set up so there are consecutive greens in one direction during the morning rush hour, and consecutive greens in the opposite direction in the late afternoon.
This^^^^. I've had a couple of commutes that ordinarily ran with rush hour traffic. A temporary schedule change reversed it so I ended up driving the same route outside rush hour for a few weeks. The difference in light pattern was obvious.

Old 05-15-2022, 04:04 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
They aren't smart enough to think that far ahead on your conspiracy theory.
I've noticed lights mistimed, but not the majority.
What I have noticed is a huge increase in traffic cams, for revenue purposes I imagine; and probably for surveillance as well.

lol
No, actually the opposite is true!!

For them to 'program' these lights, they had to time someone how long it took to take off from a stop, accelerate and then reach the next intersection! Its timed PERFECTLY too!

Numerous traffic lights are all working together in sequence, This pattern Ive described happens every time at this stretch of highway, no matter what time of day or night it is...that tells me, its set like that for a reason, and the only reason I can think of is to INTENTIONALLY waste fuel!

What other purpose could there be, in making cars stop (when there is no cars waiting at the intersecting street?)

Im not great at math, but considering these lights are operating like this 24/7, the amount of fuel its wasting is VERY high I suspect.

Old 05-15-2022, 04:40 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Im not great at math, but considering these lights are operating like this 24/7, the amount of fuel its wasting is VERY high I suspect.
Unless you observe "these lights" over a 24 hour period +weekdays and weekends you don't know if they are. You're making an assumption that supports your narrative. Many signals are programmed in a different pattern during low traffic periods (such as 10 pm to 4 am, Sundays, etc). I've seen many that simply flash yellow rather than go through a green/yellow/red cycle.

Old 05-15-2022, 04:55 PM

45,396 posts, read 60,592,880 times
This is 20 years old but the theory and processes haven't changed that much:

https://highways.dot.gov/public-road...-signal-timing

https://time.com/3845445/commuting-t...raffic-lights/

https://www.cincinnati-oh.gov/dote/t...affic-signals/

Old 05-15-2022, 05:26 PM

1,224 posts, read 516,251 times
Quote:

Yeah that is frustrating especially as it relates to Dixie being the main street carrying the most traffic. I think most traffic signals are programmed to change at X minutes regardless of the time, current traffic flow and day. A couple of days a week sometimes I am in a left turn lane onto 75 (Ohio side) at 5AM....there is no traffic and the red is red for the exact time as if it was 4pm. I blow right through that red light. There is also a street heading up toward UC that no matter what the time or day it is ....I never ever make the green light..........ever.

Old 05-15-2022, 07:21 PM

8,342 posts, read 6,433,296 times
Same thing in Calif. A terrible waste of time.

Old 05-15-2022, 07:47 PM

9,096 posts, read 6,321,431 times
In some cases, I think this phenomenon is tied to misguided attempts at traffic calming. From 2005 to 2009 I had a part-time, weekend, second-shift job along the Middlesex Turnpike in Massachusetts. I would leave work around midnight and be the only vehicle on the road. There was a traffic light at a four way intersection and it would always be green in the distance but when I would get within 500 feet of the intersection it would turn yellow and then red. No other cars were ever present, coming from any direction, nor anyone else behind me. It would make me stop and idle for a few minutes every single time I traveled through there around midnight... complete stupidity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive