Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2022, 09:10 AM

4,958 posts, read 2,234,184 times

Advertisements

My wife had a mishap in my truck (2016 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X) resulting in it being a total loss. Thankfully, no one was injured.

I had an extremely difficult time finding a similar truck locally or within a 200 miles radius. So, I decided to try Carvana.

I ordered a 2015 Jeep Wrangler Sahara. It was clean and appeared to be properly maintained. I scheduled an inspection for the following day. However, we had heavy rain overnight and I might as well have left the top off. The interior was soaked. So, I swapped it for another Nissan Frontier (this time an SL).

Everything looked good on the Frontier SL. It was low mileage, nice paint, and almost no imperfections. It passed mechanical inspection without an issue. I really liked it. I did notice one minor issue with the chrome bumper. It was ever so slightly off from one side to the other (less than ¼ inch). Carvana approved the warranty inspection, and I took it to their designated body shop. The tech inspected it and discovered that the frame had been damaged and poorly repaired. The radiator, core support, hood, and fenders had been replaced. It was sold as an accident-free vehicle with a clean CarFax.

Thankfully, I had one day remaining on the 7-day return policy, so I scheduled a return. The next day I found a 2020 Pro-4X with only 2400 miles identical to my 2016 so I jumped on it. I drove the Carvana Nissan to the dealer, purchased the new Pro-4X, and drove it home. The dealer gave me a ride back to the dealership to pick up the Carvana Frontier. As I pulled out of the dealer parking lot, the check engine light came on. Carvana picked it up two days later.

Both the Carvana Jeep and Frontier are available for pre-order if interested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2022, 12:04 PM

16,541 posts, read 19,672,308 times
So you wrecked your car. Ordered the Wrangler. It rained on the Wrangler. And you returned it?
Do I have this correct? You returned a Wrangler. One of the most outdoorsy cars ever made. Because... it got wet?
Seriously?

Old 07-12-2022, 12:28 PM

Quote:
However, we had heavy rain overnight and I might as well have left the top off. The interior was soaked
How do you interpret this statement as being rained on? It leaked profusely. Was I not clear? And yeah, it was outdoorsy and 4WD, but it had leather, nav, and premium sound. It wasn't cheap, either. Am I supposed to accept the fact that the top failed to seal?

Old 07-12-2022, 01:02 PM

313 posts, read 207,482 times
I dunno. Personally, I couldn't even buy a BRAND NEW car from a dealer without first at least seeing and driving it at least 1 block !

Yet, there are companies out there that are selling vehicles on the internet, simply based on textual description and pictures/videos! AMAZING !

Old 07-12-2022, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAmsterdam View Post
I dunno. Personally, I couldn't even buy a BRAND NEW car from a dealer without first at least seeing and driving it at least 1 block !

Yet, there are companies out there that are selling vehicles on the internet, simply based on textual description and pictures/videos! AMAZING !
I purchased my last Frontier Pro-4X without driving from a dealer that I've had a relationship with since 1994. But it's a huge leap from that to an online dealer. Lesson learned.

I'll give Carvana credit for their return policy.

Old 07-12-2022, 03:51 PM

6,412 posts, read 3,128,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Jasper View Post
How do you interpret this statement as being rained on? It leaked profusely. Was I not clear? And yeah, it was outdoorsy and 4WD, but it had leather, nav, and premium sound. It wasn't cheap, either. Am I supposed to accept the fact that the top failed to seal?
I have to be honest, at first read, I, too, thought that you meant the top was left off the Jeep. While grammatically correct, your sentence could have been easily misinterpreted......

Old 07-12-2022, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
I have to be honest, at first read, I, too, thought that you meant the top was left off the Jeep. While grammatically correct, your sentence could have been easily misinterpreted......
Fair enough. But at least you respectfully explained the misunderstanding.

Last edited by Mad_Jasper; 07-12-2022 at 05:39 PM..

Old 07-14-2022, 03:55 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
I bought my Volt from Carvana and had a decent experience, but it had just came off lease. My only complaint is where they repainted one of the wheels, and apparently didn't use any clear afterwards.

Old 07-14-2022, 05:29 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,532,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Jasper View Post
I'll give Carvana credit for their return policy.
Thank you for sharing.

When I earned my Master's of Science Degree in 1984 I bought a 1983, 2nd generation Honda Prelude, a 2-door coupé based on the Accord.

I think I took it for granted that I would simply purchase new vehicles all my life. Some of us didn't expect to scrambling around in the used car market at our age.

I hear that last month the average transaction price of a new vehicle reached $48,000. When my brother spent that much on a Mercedes Benz less than 3 years ago, I thought he was buying a premium vehicle. Now it is simply average.

Old 07-14-2022, 05:37 AM

6,412 posts, read 3,128,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
.......I think I took it for granted that I would simply purchase new vehicles all my life. Some of us didn't expect to scrambling around in the used car market at our age.

I hear that last month the average transaction price of a new vehicle reached $48,000. When my brother spent that much on a Mercedes Benz less than 3 years ago, I thought he was buying a premium vehicle. Now it is simply average.
Scary, isn't it? What's worse, is we "boomers" are now aging, and in some cases, retiring, therefore going toward a "fixed income". Our finances may have been planned around purchasing another new car, before we die, but it was a $30,000 car, not a $50,000 USED car............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive