Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2022, 08:08 AM

17,614 posts, read 17,649,156 times

Advertisements

Each Country and US state has their own requirements for driver’s education before one can receive a license. Some countries have far stricter and expensive requirements while some countries and US state seem to practically give away licenses. Are there any things you would like to see added to your local area requirements to receive a license? When I got my license in 1986 in Louisiana it was extremely easy. One high school driver’s Ed course driving the PE coach around town and one test going around the block in a square circle after passing a written multiple guess test. Looking back I would have liked a more extensive driving lessons and classroom discussions. Lessons should include basics on vehicle maintenance. Today’s first time drivers have far too many things in their vehicle to distract them and lessons should include the dangers of such distractions. It would be nice if everyone had a test track that could safely simulate snow/ice conditions so they could practice outside the classroom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2022, 06:08 PM

7,774 posts, read 6,381,525 times
In New York city the driving age is 18. In a city of 8,000,000 here is no such thing as high school driver ed.

Old 08-02-2022, 08:46 PM

10,300 posts, read 6,827,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Each Country and US state has their own requirements for driver’s education before one can receive a license. Some countries have far stricter and expensive requirements while some countries and US state seem to practically give away licenses. Are there any things you would like to see added to your local area requirements to receive a license? When I got my license in 1986 in Louisiana it was extremely easy. One high school driver’s Ed course driving the PE coach around town and one test going around the block in a square circle after passing a written multiple guess test. Looking back I would have liked a more extensive driving lessons and classroom discussions. Lessons should include basics on vehicle maintenance. Today’s first time drivers have far too many things in their vehicle to distract them and lessons should include the dangers of such distractions. It would be nice if everyone had a test track that could safely simulate snow/ice conditions so they could practice outside the classroom.
I like your post. Here's why...you recognize that the testing requirements are very lax. They are.

But, even more than that, I like that you seek additional knowledge.

So, with this in mind, I'd recommend additional training for you.

There are tons of advanced courses that a driver can take. Even partaking in an occasional trackday can be very beneficial (especially with an instructor.) But be careful, they can be addicting!

Or, learn to ride a motorcycle, if you TRULY want to become a better driver...

Old 08-03-2022, 07:06 AM

4,323 posts, read 7,231,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
In New York city the driving age is 18. In a city of 8,000,000 here is no such thing as high school driver ed.
I took driver's ed in high school in the early 1970s in Texas. Most public schools back then offered in-house training, both classroom and practical. Where I went to school, there were fees for the course, and no academic credits were given for completion.

Most public schools here discontinued offering in-house driver education years ago. Teens would have to enroll in a private driving school, or else wail until age 18, and pass the written & practical exam at the DMV.

Old 08-03-2022, 11:50 AM

15,794 posts, read 20,487,959 times
Back in the late 90's in MA. I took driver's ed. The state mandated it in order to get my license 6months earlier (16.5 vs 17).

I learned a good amount in driver's ed. It was the actual test that was a joke. 1 lap around the block and 1 parallel park. Done.

Old 08-05-2022, 03:56 PM

17,574 posts, read 15,243,114 times
I never took drivers ed in high school in NoVA in the late 80's/early 90's.. In fact, I didn't start driving until I went to college.. At age 17.

I moved to SC to go to college.. Needed to get a DL because there's just no real public transportation here. There was.. Some there at Clemson at the time, but getting over to family.. I needed a car. So, got a permit, got some practice in.. Went to the DMV to get my license..

The woman tells me she needs a parent there, since I'm under 18. I actually had my grandfather there with me, asked if he'd do.. "Nope, must be a parent, Next!".. Ok.. no.. Hold on.. There's got to be a way around this.. "Next!"

Now I'm pissed. I ask her if she wants the one in Korea or the one in Virginia to sign. "Next!"

At this point, my grandfather grabs me to keep me from jumping the counter and strangling her to death.

I wound up waiting another month until I turned 18.

Old 08-05-2022, 04:36 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,415,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
I took driver's ed in high school in the early 1970s in Texas. Most public schools back then offered in-house training, both classroom and practical. Where I went to school, there were fees for the course, and no academic credits were given for completion.

Most public schools here discontinued offering in-house driver education years ago. Teens would have to enroll in a private driving school, or else wail until age 18, and pass the written & practical exam at the DMV.
I took drivers Ed in 1970 when i was 15. We were taught classroom and driving from teachers from the high school. I took my driving part in a 1970 Pontiac Catalina were the instructor had a brake pedal on his side. Took my driving test at the Michigan Secretary of State when i was 16 in 1971 and have been driving ever since 51 years of having my drivers license, including a CDL, motorcycle.

Old 08-05-2022, 04:49 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,131,815 times
Back in 1967, when I took Drivers Ed in Texas, it was offered in summer school. It was the last year that a 14 year old (like me) could get a full Texas drivers license after successful completion of the course, and passing the Texas Department Of Public Safety written and driving test. We had extensive classroom training and behind the wheel training. To pass the course, we had to master driving a manual transmission. The manual transmission car was a brand new 1967 Mercury Comet with ”three on the tree” and non power steering. We also had training in brand new 1967 Mercury Cougars with automatics and power steering.

Old 08-05-2022, 05:21 PM

313 posts, read 207,836 times
Of course it's important in having a good set of requirements to obtain a license in the first place. I'm sure everyone would agree.

But what I TRULY believe is that anyone who already has a license needs to be RE-TESTED in some way, shape or form, at some pointS going forward. I don't know what the subsequent test(s) would entail (written, oral, or road), or at what intervals, but there REALLY SHOULD be some retesting done.

People sometimes develop bad habits. They may forget what the rules/laws are. The rules/laws may change in their community.

You'll probably say "Well, that will increase costs which will result in the cost of the license fee going up". So be it, in my opinion. I think it would result in less accidents, and then lower insurance rates.

Old 08-05-2022, 07:09 PM

9,117 posts, read 6,170,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post

Almost half of New Yorkers do not own cars. In Manhattan, only about 22% of the people own cars.

Not a big call for drivers ed if you don't own a car.

https://edc.nyc/article/new-yorkers-and-their-cars
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive