Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2023, 08:06 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,123,920 times

Advertisements

I guess this question would appeal to people who prefer older cars anyway.

By happen-stance I saw some cars like this on some guy's YouTube channel.

For example, a Toyota from 1996 or a Honda from 2002 that were just never sold, and had those kinds of almost non-existent mileage numbers. I think there were other brands. Those are just the two I remember.

I found the videos interesting, as I have never thought of seeing a never owned/driven car like that. They were 20-30 years-old and showroom pristine with no miles.

I've said for years. that I really would not want a current generation, new tech heavy electronics laden car. And lo and behold these "new" cars would fit that bill.

The videos seems to have been recorded outside a dealership, vs at a museum or in someone's collection.

So.....IF you could find a car like that -- 20-year-old "new" car would you be interested in it. To me, it would be better than a beater....that's the same age -- AND has 10s of thousands -- if not over 100K miles on it.

The cars in the videos were definitely older , 20-30 years old. But I suppose the same question could be asked of even cars that are up to the year 2010? As long as it's not recent enough to be considered a "recent" model.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2023, 08:36 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Well, I have a 2001 Highlander that still looks very good and runs great after 175k miles. If I could get the same car in new condition, I’d jump at the chance.

Old 10-22-2023, 09:03 AM

17,622 posts, read 17,656,125 times
If the current owner had proof all shocks, struts, tires, belts, hoses, bushings, etc were recently replaced I would consider.

Old 10-22-2023, 09:42 AM

1,147 posts, read 1,402,577 times
Just because they only have 30 miles on them and they look like new, don't lose sight of the fact that that they really are 30 years old.

Besides the stuff that victimofGM listed, I would also be worried about all of the gaskets and seals on the engine, transmission, brake cylinders, power steering system, etc, etc.

These cars certainly could be an awesome buy for someone, as long as the buyer realizes that they really aren't brand new, despite what the odometer says.

Old 10-22-2023, 09:53 AM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
If the current owner had proof all shocks, struts, tires, belts, hoses, bushings, etc were recently replaced I would consider.
I'd be happy to replace shocks, struts, tires, belts, hoses, myself. I always replace all fluids, belts and hoses, give a tune-up. do maintenance whenever I buy a new-o-me used car, anyway.

I vaguely knew a guy who bought a "new" antique car. The original owner scared himself so badly driving it home that he parked it in a barn and threw a tarp over it and there it sat, forgotten. It certainly was not in new car condition, though, after sitting in a barn for decades..

Where are these brand new showroom condition cars located? No dealer is going to let a car sit on the lot for 30 years, unsold and undriven.

Old 10-22-2023, 10:37 AM

6,341 posts, read 4,900,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post

[i]So.....IF you could find a car like that -- 20-year-old "new" car would you be interested in it. .
For the right price, in a heartbeat.

Understand, however, that people with those cars know what they are worth and it's not going to be cheap.

I bought a 2003 Crown Vic last year with only 50,000 miles on it. Pristine condition.

Old 10-22-2023, 02:31 PM

2,507 posts, read 1,296,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post

For example, a Toyota from 1996 or a Honda from 2002 that were just never sold, and had those kinds of almost non-existent mileage numbers.
Are you serious?

If I wanted the 1996 Toyota 4Runner and somebody offered it to me with 30 miles for $50,000, I would immediately say, "Wait an hour, I'm running to my bank!"

Shocks, belts, tires are often easily available.
Body interior and exterior panels for older cars are usually unavailable new or cost enormous money.

---
If I wanted the 2002 Honda S2000, I wouldn't want it "modified" by previous owners. I would prefer it stock.

Old 10-22-2023, 02:43 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
For the right price, in a heartbeat.

Understand, however, that people with those cars know what they are worth and it's not going to be cheap.

I bought a 2003 Crown Vic last year with only 50,000 miles on it. Pristine condition.
50,000 miles isn't 30 miles

Old 10-22-2023, 02:54 PM

6,017 posts, read 2,840,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Yep! All the rubber suspension pieces are likely hard as a rock, and the rubber seals on the engine and transmission will start leaking pretty quick after repeated driving. That's why letting cars sit around is so bad for them.

Old 10-22-2023, 07:55 PM

982 posts, read 525,406 times
First, I'd check the mechanics out thoroughly, especially the brakes. I was a NAISE certified dealer technician for many years, repaired or serviced something like 8,000-10,000 Toyotas, Fiats, Alfas, Mazdas etc. There is a LOT that can go wrong w/ a car if it isn't driven now and then. Tires flat spot, electrics go wonky, you name it. So I'd spend some time w/ the car up on a lift looking at everything, then ck all the electrics, etc. There wouldn't be any factory warranty on it, so any repairs would be out of pocket.

If it's a classic model, than it might be worth buying if the car checks out, because those can appreciate rather than depreciate, especially something like a GTO or Mustang.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive