Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2024, 09:04 PM

3,702 posts, read 4,848,917 times

Advertisements

Here is where the domestics rule. Yes, I know some are built in Mexico or Canada. Ford, Chevy, GMC, Dodge.

Don't go shorter then 6 1/2' bed. It is actually what is called (at least Ford) the standard bed as 6 1/2 has been the standard short bed for years.

Though I like Dodge (RAM now) their short bed is 6'4" and yes, that couple of inches can make a difference.

It sounds like an 8ft bed would be a bit more comfortable for sleeping in but that extra length added to a full crew cab will make parking in some areas a tad bit difficult (hell, it would be a pain in the ass. Now if you were looking at what I thought you were talking about with a camper, 8ft would be the only way to go and a 3/4 or 1 ton as well.

As far as cabs, I would definitely suggest a crew, quad, extra, super or whatever. Just be aware that if you are looking for a full crew cab, a 6 1/2ft bed with it is the unicorn. Most are with the 5, 5 1/2 ft bed which is great for many but just too short. Those are the modern day Crown Vics, Caprises, Town Cars, Etc...And I don't know if any of those full crew cabs are even offered with an 8ft bed on a half ton.

But, if its just the two of you a Ram "quad" cab, Ford super cab (suicide doors) or Chevy/GMC's extended/double cabs should come with the 8ft bed on the 1/2 tons. They're not quite as roomy as a full crew but still have plenty of lockable storage inside the cab and the ability to recline. And the 8ft bed with that cab choice shouldn't be much more difficult to maneuver then the "Unicorn" that I like. F150 SuperCrew with a 6 1/2 ft bed. When I had mine, it was long, but I never had an issue parking it. BTW, I feel the Fords are among the tightest in turning ability's.

I loved the size of the crew cabs interior when I had the SuperCrew but I've also had 3 Dodge Ram Quad Cabs and they have plenty of room. I think the Super Cab F150 (don't know about Chevy/GMC) has the smallest of the cabs and Dodge Quad is the largest of the non crew cabs. Probably why the Ram has a shorter bed. I think those trucks try to keep it around an "old school" regular cab/long bed.

And if looking for a standard short bed crew/super crew (not these super short 5 something beds) make sure yourself that the truck Mr. salesman is trying to push on you by saying its the one you want really is what he is calling it. Dealers may have only 1 of the "unicorn trucks on the lot but will have plenty with the 5.5ft beds.

If looking for the middle cab configurations, I believe they only come with the 6'4 (RAM), 6'6 or 8ft bed.

If you opt for a 3/4 or 1 ton, no worry's on bed length as they only come with the 2 standard size beds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2024, 09:06 PM

3,702 posts, read 4,848,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
If you went with an 8-foot bed and double cab, it would take 40 acres to turn that rig around.
https://www.bing.com/videos/rivervie...B7D3&FORM=VIRE

Old 04-16-2024, 06:15 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,428,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Your needs sounds a lot more in line with a van than a truck.
I agree. I originally wanted a pickup truck and went with a Ford Transit cargo van instead. It hauls a ton of stuff; has easy access on 3 sides; rides like a car; has pretty good mileage; and you can even sleep inside if you want. I've had mine for 14 years and hauled everything from delicate antiques to rocks and mulch bags. I plan to drive it until the wheels fall off or I get too old, but it's honestly easier to get into than my Fiesta since the seats are right at butt height. I only wish I'd waited for the 2011 model with the additional window right behind the driver and the passenger; mine has none and it cuts down on visibility when backing up. The only mechanical issue I've had was the driver's side door motor failure - NBD to replace.

Old 04-16-2024, 07:05 AM

10,300 posts, read 6,832,149 times
Don't bother with getting a diesel. The overall costs are not recoverable.

If you don't plan on putting A LOT of miles on it, then get anything. But, if you're looking at 1000 miles per week, every week, then go Toyota. Be advised tho, Toyota's DRINK fuel like crazy. Taco's get 17mpg, and Tundras get 11mpg.

Have you looked at a Sprinter?

Old 04-16-2024, 07:17 AM

1,489 posts, read 793,904 times
I would get a Ford because they know trucks!

Old 04-16-2024, 08:29 AM

10,554 posts, read 7,750,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post

..Not looking for a short bed, that would be too cramped for us with the camper, but probably 6 1/2 foot bed or maybe 8 foot? How do those two sizes compare for maneuverability etc.

Cabs... it will be mostly me and hubs, but do most come with a back seat?

Then I found out there's gas vs diesel... all new to me! Lol!
)

All trucks come with a back seat now, a major drawback IMO. Combine that with a big bed and you've got a behemoth of a vehicle. Maneuverability will be poor, especially with a camper.

Forget the diesel. I'd personally go with a Toyota or Ford.

Old 04-16-2024, 01:40 PM

9,504 posts, read 4,339,161 times
AWD Ford Transit.

Old 04-16-2024, 03:09 PM

12,411 posts, read 9,510,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
All trucks come with a back seat now, a major drawback IMO. Combine that with a big bed and you've got a behemoth of a vehicle. Maneuverability will be poor, especially with a camper.

Forget the diesel. I'd personally go with a Toyota or Ford.
If you start with a 2-row SUV, and then subtract the modest cargo area behind the back seats and replace it with an 8-foot long open wagon box, there's no way to make the resulting vehicle of handy proportions.

Old 04-17-2024, 10:01 AM

9,504 posts, read 4,339,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
We were thinking of a van, but we like that trucks are (usually?) 4 wheel drive so we can adventure a bit more... although we're not heavily into the extreme off road/back country thing.

Vans are available with 4WD/AWD. Something like this would be perfect for your needs.

Old 04-17-2024, 10:06 AM

3,886 posts, read 4,539,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Your needs sounds a lot more in line with a van than a truck.
We were thinking van for the longest time. A few years ago we rented a Promaster 1500 for a week, rigged it up with the bare necessities and had a blast. It did pretty good too on some unpaved roads etc.

A year later we took our Subaru Outback out to the California desert to see the super bloom. There's a place in Borrega Springs called Fonts Point that a ranger suggested we check out and asked what kind of car we had. He said our Subaru would do just fine, and told us a sometimes regular cars and vans get stuck up there. So the question, "Will the vehicle get us up to Fonts Point!" became our litmus test.

We considered a truck camper for a minute, but those looked way too big, then noticed pop up truck campers. It was when I started looking for those that I came across the Moonlander.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive