Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 05:19 PM

228 posts, read 797,254 times

Advertisements

For my next car I am considering AWD because I live in New England. I'm not sure is it is worth the extra money in initial cost, plus the additional gas money (given the fuel economy of AWD cars) I currently have a FWD car with all season tires. I have been stuck in the snow quiet a few times, and would love to have the convenience of AWD. I just am not sure if it is justified, given that approx. 9 months out of the year, it's unnecessary.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 05:28 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,962,057 times
Getting snow tires for the FWD vehicle will probably solve your problem. AWD is great bit if you have the wrong tires it can still be a problem.

Old 09-24-2008, 05:32 PM

I have thought of this, but I was unsure of the cost associated with having the tires changed out 2X per year, plus the additional hassle.

Old 09-24-2008, 05:41 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,866,146 times
Changing tires twice a year is cheaper than a new car. If it is time to change vehicles anyway, then I would lean toward AWD and still run two sets of tires. One set of winter tires, then change over in the spring to a good set of summer/rain tires. That way you get the best of both worlds, and your tires end up lasting longer in the long run. After living in Caribou, Maine the last many years I cannot recommend the WinterForce snow tires high enough. GREAT snow tire! They are the tire I ran on everything I owned that they made a size for during the winter.

Old 09-24-2008, 06:32 PM

502 posts, read 1,736,256 times
I believe your first issue is all season tires vs snow tires. SNows have a better/deeper groove that clears snow out of the tread. They work better in snow. Install 4 snow tires and it should be much better than all seasons.

My sonata has a set of snow tires/rims and all season tires/rims. I switch them myself each fall/spring. Initial cost for the extra rims was about $200, but most garages here charge $40/change over. Twice a year, it doesn't take long to make the $200 investment back.

My truck has 4wd. It definetly works better in the snow than the sonata. But it only really works better accelerating. Stopping doesn't seem to be any different.

Old 09-24-2008, 06:47 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,099,641 times
If it's practical for you get a second set of wheels with the snow tires, put the snows on in the winter, use the all-seasons otherwise. This would require at least a place to store the wheels/tires and someone to change them unless you are a DIY kind of gal.

You will find that all-season tires work OK in snow when they are new or near new with deep tread. Once they are about halfway down to the wear bars they work much less well.

If you want a new car though, the Subaru AWD cars are not that bad on gas, and are very easy to drive in slick conditions.

FWD does require some counter-intuitive techniques in snow, for example if on a relatively open road the rear end starts to skid around for whatever reason, you need to get ON the gas, and definitely stay away from the brake.

My guess is you are not a "motoring enthusiast" like several of us here are. If you can find a snow-driving course by all means sign up, or at least see if you can find someone to tutor you in a large, empty parking lot.

A stickshift is easier to manage in snow, once you get the hang of it. Subie autos do have a "manual" feature to lock in a single gear, say 2nd or 3rd, and it won't upshift or downshift if you do that. The stick is still better for me.

Old 09-24-2008, 07:48 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,868,298 times
I straight, deep down, LOATHE winter. Snow tires on a 2WD car is going to make a night and day difference in winter driving both in ease and in safety. It is worth the $5 or $600 investment for a set of wheels and tires.

But 4WD is going to be better yet. It just makes winter driving that much less of a PITA. There's next to nothing my Subaru can't get through, even on the worst all-seasons of all time (which, btw, are Bridgestone RE92's).

Old 09-25-2008, 05:18 AM

Thanks for all of your input. I will most likely be looking for a new car in about a year. At this point I am leaning towards the AWD. I am a do it yourself type of gal, but most likely not when it comes to changing tires, so I would have to take into account paying someone to switch them over, plus I am a little tight on storage space for the extra set.

Old 09-25-2008, 06:24 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
I bought a used Subaru Outback Wagon a couple of years ago and I will never be without AWD on at least one of my cars. The Outback with decent snow tires is very controllable in the snow and slush. The safety is worth the cost.

PS - buy a three to five year old car and save more than enough for two sets of tires and wheels. The summer tires are Noikan i3 (IIRC $240 per set) and the winter are Cooper snow/mud ($160 per set).

I bought a set of used Subaru steel wheels for $20 each at a recycle yard. My tire dealer changes the wheels for about $30 twice per year. I drop off the car and go have breakfast in a local diner. When I am done the car is ready for summer or winter as appropriate.

They don't say Subaru is the official car of New England for nothing.

PPS - I live in southern New Hampshire and deal with Maynard + Lesseur in Nashua.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:14 AM

248 posts, read 798,754 times
subaru really is a good choice. all their cars have AWD standard and they are reasonably prices. when you go with AWD as an option it can up you another 5k.

also what i really like about awd is it is there all the time. snow isnt the only reason to get AWD - rain slicked roads are dangerous too and AWD cruises right thru them. not to mention gravel and mud!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive