Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 05:05 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,096 posts, read 30,391,518 times

Advertisements

Please to answer some questions about tune-ups, honorable reader.

How often do you tune up your car or pick up truck?

What should be included in a tune up?

About how much should it cost?

If that depends, what does it depend on? Model? Year? You tell me.

Thanks very much for any helpful information!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2008, 10:28 AM

Please.

Old 10-18-2008, 10:49 AM

139 posts, read 1,024,993 times
depends on the year of the vehicle. most newer vehicles at 100,000 miles,change plugs. what year is the vehicle.

Old 10-18-2008, 02:31 PM

681 posts, read 2,913,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
......... Model? Year?.......
Engine size? Mileage? Are you original owner? Why are you asking? All these are relevent to answering your question. As Drilco sez, on the newer cars and trucks it depends. So spill the beans if you need some help. It's no longer a "general" question.

Old 10-18-2008, 07:08 PM

Thanks for your responses.

It is a 02 GMC pick up V6 Gas engine with 89k on it. I had it tuned in autumn of 06 when it ran rough. Cooler weather is arriving and it seems to make it run just a bit less smoothly.

Overall it runs and feels like a new truck usually.

I'm not the original owner, bought just over 2 years ago. I am the 2nd owner.

Thanks!

Old 10-18-2008, 07:14 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Most of the new vehicles require tune ups at 100,000 miles

The electronics in the vehicles are often the cause of rough running - I have a Volvo that started running rough - turns out each cylinder has its own ignition coil - one had cracked. Replaced it - ran fine.

Sounds like you should have your truck run through a diagnostic -

Old 10-18-2008, 07:18 PM

139 posts, read 1,024,993 times
has the check engine light come on , since you have owned the truck?

Old 10-18-2008, 11:11 PM

Yes, Drilco. It was checked. I was told it was a loose gas cap and to replace that which I did. Could it be something more significant? Btw that was about a year ago. The light is not on now.

What should someone not familiar with mechanical things ask a garage to do? Greatday says a diagnostic. Check engine lights and their codes are a type of diagnostic aren't they?

I am, like many not-mechanically-savvy vehicle owners, worried about getting taken by a dishonest shop.

Old 10-19-2008, 12:31 AM

681 posts, read 2,913,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
.......I am, like many not-mechanically-savvy vehicle owners, worried about getting taken by a dishonest shop.
I understand. Because the fastest thing to do is have it diagnosed by a qualified mechanic using the right equipment, here's what I'd recommend to do that.

Pick a medium-sized shop that seems to do automotive electrical and mechanical work [more below] and call them to see if you can bring your pickup in on a Tuesday or Wednesday morning. If they ask, say it has a "drivability" problem. Once you arrive tell them "in the old days I would say it needs a tune-up, but this baby has one of those newer systems so that shouldn't be the issue. What I'm noticing is that with cooler weather coming on it seems to be running a little rougher. Can you check that out and get back to me?"

If they say the estimate to check it out is anything less than $75 tell them if they can fix it for that, too, to go ahead [using the figure they gave you].

Don't volunteer anything else but answer any questions they have about the drivability issue truthfully and fully. Don't talk about your family or friends and don't act like you don't trust them. Just be a little bit of a mystery to them. And don't tell them about this thread. They have not proved to you, yet, that they are your friend. And by the way, you want them to return to you any broken parts they replace.

Now if they accept the job and call you back saying it needs a new "whatsit" that will cost $375 in parts and $200 in labor [or some such] tell them you will call them back and get back to us here right away on the forum, telling us what it is they are saying. Otherwise play it by ear and try them out. If they actually "fix" the problem you are ahead of the game. If they don't, though, take it back to them right away and tell them it isn't fixed. [that can happen] Just keep us informed as you go along.

Now, how to tell if a shop is as described above. It will usually have at least five "mechanics" in work uniforms working around the premises. There will usually be covered room for at least six cars in their "shop". Trees out back don't count. They will usually offer "state inspections" on their menu boards and advertising, and will also perform brake jobs and replace waterpumps and radiators. Just ask about those when you call if there's no advertising or signage to check on.

NOW here's something else. When was the last time the pickup had a lube and oil-change at a shop?. The reason I ask is that most good shops will also check the air cleaner filter when they do an oil change, and what you are describing could be just a very dirty air filter or even a semi-plugged fuel filter. But that may be too simple a fix.

At any rate, good luck.

Old 10-19-2008, 01:01 AM

4,229 posts, read 17,612,023 times
I do things at different times.

I.E. air filter every 12K miles

oil change every 3-3500.

Spark plugs about once a year to 16 months

coolant can last quite a while.

Belts and hoses as needed.

Timing belt every 60K

Fuel filter every 50K

Rotate tires every 5K
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive