Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 05:00 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,101,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
Whatever you get, the best thing you can do for yourself is resist the urge to put in 'upgrades'.

If the truck is only designed for 300HP, and you decide to turn up the engine to 600HP, something is going to break. It isn't too hard to predict that when some kid is bragging about his new 'chip', pretty soon he'll be crying the blues about his POS transmission blowing up.
That is true.You can't hp upgrade JUST one part of any truck because the next weakest link will let loose on you.I tried that with a Dodge many moons ago ....I had a bigger injector pump,bigger injectors and a bigger turbo put in it and by the time it was all paid for and in the truck,I was pretty much broke(bye bye tax check.lol) and although I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that if I didn't go with a beefed up tranny I would have trouble later down the line,I just didn't have the dinero to do it right then and although the truck was paid for and I SHOULD have borrowed money against it and bullet proofed the trans,I didn't(right of the bat that is).I decided to ease it around for awhile until I got the money up to go on with it (keep in mind this was my work truck that I depended on to make my living AND my only transportation and that'll give you a slight idea as to how stupid I really am).For about a month I eased it around,didn't pull anything to heavy and resisted the urge to smoke a couple of big mouthed buddies.I even forced myself not to push down on it to hard just to hear that big turbo whine.Finally with a false sense of security from nothing happening in a month or so,I allowed the redneck side of myself to come out when a bunch of guys at our equipment laydown yard goaded me into OPENING it up when I left the yard.I ended up sitting beside the road at the end of a pair of 200' long dually black marks and tire smoke haze.It sounded like a frag grenade went off in the tranny and when the mechanic opened it up later,he said the same thing.I hate bank loan officers until I need 'em.I never had that truck on a dyno,but I'd say it was very easily in that 600 horse range that you speak of and you are very right,they WILL eat a tranny before you can shut them down and the dumber a person acts with them,the more they'll break.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usafracer View Post
No problem. The only d-max that had real problems with the injectors was the first get 01-04. If you stay away from them you will be fine.
The Chief of Police here in town just bought an Dmax '06 3500 c/c single rear wheel (his 1st diesel) and we talk quite a bit and I'm watching to see how his does.He pulls a 3 horse slant load trailer with living quarters a couple of times a month and so far he absolutely loves it.A buddy of mine with an '01 has had MAJOR trouble with his and it's down more than it's running.Also Racer,I ran into a guy yesterday with a c/c dually 4x4 IDENTICAL to what I wanted and he confirmed everything you had already told me.He said the truck would break your neck with torque and was very reliable BUT he was averaging between 4 to 5 mpg loaded and he said the BEST he ever got unloaded was in the 9mpg range.He offered to sell it to me and take mine in on trade and although it was a beautiful truck,that mpg scared the heck out of me.Thanks for the info because had you guys not lined me out on them,I may have bit on that hook yesterday and been sick to death about doing it after a week.He was pretty eager to see it gone and had a way more than fair price on it.Plus it was a shiny blood red with all the goodies.Sharp.

Old 11-13-2008, 08:32 AM

5,007 posts, read 15,442,158 times
Chevy tried to get competitive with the Duramax in 01-04, and it sucked big time.

After the 04 models, it underwent a re-design, and the new diesel is almost as quiet as a gas engine, and the power is amazing.

Old 11-13-2008, 08:25 PM

You are very right there...you can't even tell its a diesel even standing right next to it.

Old 11-14-2008, 04:15 AM

886 posts, read 5,721,766 times
Default Here is a picture of my baby

Sorry about the junk in front of it. My house has become a storage lot for everyone.
Attached Thumbnails
Opinions on Chev/GMC 4x4 Dually with 8.1/Allison-pb090090.jpg  

Old 11-14-2008, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
Chevy tried to get competitive with the Duramax in 01-04, and it sucked big time.

After the 04 models, it underwent a re-design, and the new diesel is almost as quiet as a gas engine, and the power is amazing.

I disagree about them sucking big time. The only problem that they had was a poor injector design. That is not GM's fault it is Bosch. GM even stepped up and covered injectors for 200,000 or 7 years. I dont think you will find Ford doing the same with the injectors on the 6.0 that had problems and Dodge VP-44 pump and was junk. The Duramax is still the same basic design that is was in 01 with just a few improvments.

Old 11-14-2008, 08:14 AM

5,007 posts, read 15,442,158 times
Quote:
I disagree about them sucking big time. The only problem that they had was a poor injector design. That is not GM's fault it is Bosch. GM even stepped up and covered injectors for 200,000 or 7 years. I dont think you will find Ford doing the same with the injectors on the 6.0 that had problems and Dodge VP-44 pump and was junk. The Duramax is still the same basic design that is was in 01 with just a few improvments.

They had enough problems with it that people weren't buying it.

It really wasn't that great a diesel, especially compared to the Cummins.

Now, probably the best on the market.

Old 11-14-2008, 09:45 AM

You are right compaired to the Cummins it was unproven and people were scared of that. It took a few years for people to get used to that fact that it was not just another 6.5L pile of junk.

I was really sad to see Cummins leave the 5.9 and go to the 6.7 you are right the Duramax is the best out there in my eyes.

Old 11-14-2008, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Sorry about the junk in front of it. My house has become a storage lot for everyone.
That's a sharp truck...I like a red truck

Old 11-14-2008, 05:23 PM

Although I swore of Dodge trucks and you couldn't give me one if I had to keep it and maintain it,I too was sad to see the 5.9 go.I bought a new extended cab 1 ton 4x4 in '91 and other than LOUSY steering that they all had/have and a log wagon ride it was one of the best trucks I ever owned.I bought an identically equipped '97 and it was the biggest piece of junk I've ever owned,total crap except the motor.I've tried Dodges(used) quite a few times because of the cummins,but other than that '91 I've had nothing but trouble with them.And Racer,you called that 6.5 right,scrap iron imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive