Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 11:42 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,884,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by starliner 61 View Post
Not at my local parts store. List isn't even that much.
Exactly why I said "Depending on what it's is" They can cost a lot less, they can cost a lot more....
I would rather shoot high and be surprised, than shoot low and be stunned...!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2008, 05:44 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,795,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
The car is 12 years old, it probably needs a new radiator, and the price quoted isn't bad for a new radiator with installation. The radiator alone wil cost 3-4 hundred dollars, depending on what it is...
Those sell online for $125 with free shipping, and they're less than $150 at the local parts store. Its the type of radiator with plastic end caps that always starts leaking at the metal/plastic joint after 10-15 years, so its time to replace it. $550 is too much, unless they're putting in a new water pump, new belt, and new hoses to go with the new thermostat and radiator.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:02 PM

207 posts, read 353,948 times
Well I ended up going over to autozone and purchasing the radiator for 172.99. I called several shops and having it installed for 130. I would've done it myself but I'm one lazy **** during the holidays and rather deck the halls with boughs of holly.

Old 12-16-2008, 05:20 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,910,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotchildintheCity View Post
Well I ended up going over to autozone and purchasing the radiator for 172.99. I called several shops and having it installed for 130. I would've done it myself but I'm one lazy **** during the holidays and rather deck the halls with boughs of holly.
Saved yourself $200 bucks

Old 12-16-2008, 08:56 PM

207 posts, read 353,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
Saved yourself $200 bucks
Yeah it sure did, hehehe. Now I can buy myself a bigger christmas present

Old 01-29-2010, 11:05 AM

1 posts, read 1,350 times
Default Water pump or leaky hose

Hey Ya'll.

I see that it has been awhile since these were posted, but I'll give my question a try anyway.

I have a 1999 Ford Explorer and it has been a nice truck for as long as I have had it...1 year. Just last week it started steaming when I was parking, I looked at my guage and it was way up past hot. I figured, radiator? But when I opened the hood it was apparent that the steam was coming from further down in the engine somewhere. I looked and looked and really couldnt see the origin of the steam.

So there is coolant in the plastic resivior you are supposed to put it in, but when i open the radiator I cant see any liquid. Isn't there supposed to be coolant right up to the top there?

Well, I don't have any extra cash right now, so I asked some guys that I know, that supposedly know about engines what they thought? One guy told me never to ad coolant in the radiator plug. I remember we used to do that in the old days? But okay.

The next guy told me he thought it was my water pump. That was pretty much all he knew. The next guy topped off my coolant resivior and told me never to ad it to the radiator.

So, since I added the coolant to the resivioir and I have been driving it a little, just a short distance and only a time or two...shouldnt the liquid in the radiator be rising now? There is still now sign of any liquid? Shouldnt I put some in the radiator to top it off? Maybe I have a plug in the line from the resivior to the radiator? Seems like maybe that is why it reads hot still. The resiviour isn't going down any and as much steam that has come out of "someplace", you would think it would go down quite a bit.

Oh yeah, when I shut it off the last time after a trip to the corner and back, I heard the coolant in the resiviour bubbling. It was cold, so it wasn't boiling. Like it was going down the line or something, like going down a drain.

So, those are the clues in my mystery. I probably messed up some of the terminology, but what do you want...I am just a woman!? Don't know about these technical things.

Thanks,
Kat

Old 01-29-2010, 03:29 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,875,393 times
Bottom line is that no one can diagnose it without seeing it. You may get a lot of opinions and possibilities but it's all just a guess.

Since you're hearing bubbling and it's not boiling over, it's best if you don't drive it until you can get it fixed.

Do you have a shop you trust and do they have a tow truck?

Old 01-29-2010, 05:37 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,283,841 times
I'm not sure why they would say never add it to the radator, other than it could be dangerous to open it when it's hot. When it's cold, go ahead and add mixed coolant to the radiator. Then get someone to check it out. Could be a variety of problems, ranging from major to minor.

Old 01-29-2010, 10:00 PM

51,691 posts, read 15,696,447 times
After having a new water pump,timing belt and radiator put in 2 weeks ago on my Neon I noticed a small leak again today so in the shop it goes on Monday and I am hoping it's not something else which will cost me more money because the car is 12 years old! The leak is coming from the same area as last time and when I lifted the hood to check things out I noticed alittle seepage at the bottom of where the radiator frame is. Not sure if I am using the right terminology for where the small seepage is but I'll have my husband check it out in the morning.

Old 01-30-2010, 10:13 AM

136 posts, read 424,120 times
First off how often have you flushed the cooling system since new?
I you are like most not often if at all,so I would first look for visable at the waterpump vent for a leak,if none probably a head gasket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive